Bicep tendon strain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    947 Posts
    Rep Points

Bicep tendon strain

Need advice. I strained my right bicep tendon right by the elbow into the beginning of the bicep. I can't curl any weight with my right arm. I can do light to moderate medium weight push or pull movements though with little pain. Any advice on how to get thru this will be greatly appreciated. I've been using Naproxen and Advil with ice. The movement I strained it doing was low cable chest uprows I guess you call it lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,533 Posts
    Rep Points

Tendons take a long time to heal. Hate to say it, but best to play it safe and lay off for a few weeks if it is a tendon. I've played through the pain and regretted that decision later too many times. You could also run some tb500 and bpc157 to speed up recovery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Rep Points

If you have a doctor, get an MRI to see the severity. I will tell you from personal experience that a lot of doctors do not know how to treat active people. The first time I tore my lat muscle, I was told to not move for a month. Worst fucking decision of my life. I have a ton of scar tissue in the area and itís never been the same 3 years later.

Is there any bruising? Youíre probably gonna have to lay off any pulling movements for a few days. Once the pain starts to dull, Iíd get into the gym and do some very light curls to get blood flow into the area. When I say light curls, Iím talking like a 2.5lb dumbbell for high reps. The worse thing you can do right now is to completely immobilize yourself and let scar tissue form.

Injury recovery is your personal responsibility. The doctor can gauge how bad it is, then you have to decide what youíre going to do yourself.

Credentials: Iíve torn my achilles, my left lat muscle, and my pec three times. Iím currently working through my third pec tear. Still doing pressing movements for 15x-25x reps. Getting better every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,813 Posts
    Rep Points

So.... if itís a strain or even partial tear you run the risk of damaging it and having the tendon retract even further which will require surgery to correct. I would refrain from upper body movements until you can at least get an mri to see just how bad it is.

legs and cardio bro, you donít want to make things worse in the long run.

✌️

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    947 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to take it easy and see what happens. There was minimal bruising in the area that hurts. I currently don't have a doctor so I'm going to wait on getting a MRI done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,533 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by E.J.D View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to take it easy and see what happens. There was minimal bruising in the area that hurts. I currently don't have a doctor so I'm going to wait on getting a MRI done.
    If there was bruising, there was definitely tearing. With a partial rupture, the most the doc would do is tell you to lay off, so it can heal. If I do go to a doc for an injury like this, I always try to go to a sports doctor. Better diagnosis and better advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,813 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by E.J.D View Post
    the problem with waiting is.. if it does require corrective surgery, the longer you wait the more difficult the surgery and subsequent healing will be.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,606 Posts
    Rep Points

You can even go to a Clinic and be seen and request a CT Scan even, thats less expensive and invasive then MRI.

But yeah man, so sorry to hear.

I've seen a few full bicep tears in front of my own eyes in the sport of Strongman and it's not fun.

You def can do what I am doing what many suggest, the BPC, TB+hgh protocol. I also throw in Collagen and Hydrolized protein. I have been hurt enough to tell you that it can literally cut your recovery time by 1/4-1/2. Best wishes to you sir and prayers also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    947 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    the problem with waiting is.. if it does require corrective surgery, the longer you wait the more difficult the surgery and subsequent healing will be.
    I totally understand and value your feedback. I am rolling the dice with waiting I know. I accept the risk. If I had insurance that did anything I would go find out immediately. But being my insurance is garbage and my distain for doctors in general I'm going to wait it out a few more days. Lay off upper body stuff and hit legs some more. Maybe get the inch to inch and a half back I lost on my calves due to gym being shut down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

I would definitely lay off it for a minute. Consider the strain a warning. Continued use (for now) could really mess it up. I tore my distal bicep tendon 12 years ago. And it sucked! 7 months down.
    Last edited by Over_50; 03-25-2021 at 10:40 AM.