• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Big guy w/ low T trying to lose weight

bigbear

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Complete and utter newb here. So forgive me if I come off an idiot or ask really stupid questions on basic, fundamental stuff.

To begin, I'm in 35 and really overweight. Was working on it for 1.5 years before COVID hit and closed everything down. Kept my diet at ~2600 cal/day (according to myfitnesspal.com). Powerlifting workouts 3x a week burning 1300-1700 calories each time (according to fitbit watch). And in a year and a half, I lost 8 fucking lbs. Just 8! And only 1.5" off my waste. So it's not like I lost craploads of fat and gained tons of muscle. I got practically nowhere in 1.5 years.

So back in October '20, I got my test checked at a TRT clinic. It was at 200. Which is less than half what it's supposed to be for my age. Had a lot come up in my life and wanted to think over treatment first. A month ago, I got routine blood work done by my physician and asked him to toss in a check on my T. Again, 200. The TRT clinic will supposedly get me on shots and testing for $200/mn (doesn't accept insurance). My doctor, though, won't do shit unless if my dick doesn't work.

Here's the thing: My weight's at an extremely unhealthy level and I'm fed up with making ZERO OR NEGATIVE gains on it. I don't give two shits if it's "cheating" with roids to get an edge. And I'm willing to put in the work, as I proved before this pandemic. Am I crazy to get on TRT and/or use other gear to help me build muscle and finally drop the fucking weight?

I'm trying to find a nutritionist now for dietary advice. And a trainer (preferably that does bodybuilding and powerlifting) for workouts. Preferably they will be one and the same person. But I'm hoping getting my test up too helps to correct things and make building muscle and losing weight finally possible.

Does any of this make sense? Am I thinking like an idiot or missing something major? I want to loose 100 lbs, and that's just for starters to get to "merely overweight." Am I starting out right, or am I just charging at windmills here? I know jack squat about cutting weight. I just know one powerlifting coach on it who had low but better levels than me get on it and lose 30lbs fast, and another 30 in a year of working out regularly while building muscle. I could really use the help and am hoping getting my hormone levels right can yeild similar results.

I’d personally say if the dr isn’t willing to help test is cheap enough and there’s enough info here bro where you can do it all yourself. You can order your own blood work as well. I’d say you also need a serious diet and cardio routine as well.

Definitely get on a TRT dose while you lose your weight. 200 mg wk will make a huge difference.

Getting on a trt dose will prob give you the energy and get you feeling good about working out. You prob feel drained all the time with your test level that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working on cardio now. I hate running and, honestly, can't do much of it right now. But with the warmer weather I'm walking more and getting active again. Plus, it gets me out of my house. Which I also need after a year of pandemic.

The whole "Do you feel low energy" question doctors ask always seemed like bullshit to me. How would I be able to tell? This is just everyday life to me. How about we try something and give me a chance to see a difference?

I'm not a doctor, just a biochemist, but it seems to me that if you're supposed to have X amount of an ingredient in a formula and you only have half or a third that, you increase the amount! Cause chances are, something's not working right without it.

Assuming that the TRT clinic does help, is $200/mn even a "reasonable" rate for shots and testing? I'm hoping in the future, after I get the dosage locked down, to do the shots myself. Especially since the clinic is 40 min away. I'm also planning on taking mild stackers as well to see if that helps after I've had several months to determine the effects of test and how well I handle it.

I'm patient. I'm not trying to look like Nick Walker in a week. Just want to see the scale go down, and hopefully at a reasonable pace, for a change as I build muscle too.

I'm working on cardio now. I hate running and, honestly, can't do much of it right now. But with the warmer weather I'm walking more and getting active again. Plus, it gets me out of my house. Which I also need after a year of pandemic.

The whole "Do you feel low energy" question doctors ask always seemed like bullshit to me. How would I be able to tell? This is just everyday life to me. How about we try something and give me a chance to see a difference?

I'm not a doctor, just a biochemist, but it seems to me that if you're supposed to have X amount of an ingredient in a formula and you only have half or a third that, you increase the amount! Cause chances are, something's not working right without it.

Assuming that the TRT clinic does help, is $200/mn even a "reasonable" rate for shots and testing? I'm hoping in the future, after I get the dosage locked down, to do the shots myself. Especially since the clinic is 40 min away. I'm also planning on taking mild stackers as well to see if that helps after I've had several months to determine the effects of test and how well I handle it.

I'm patient. I'm not trying to look like Nick Walker in a week. Just want to see the scale go down, and hopefully at a reasonable pace, for a change as I build muscle too.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. How’s your diet looking? Are you tracking calories?

I agree. Step one should be getting your test levels somewhere near normal. We are close in age bud and when I was laid up
a few years ago I had my test levels checked. It was like 180. My doc gave me the cream and it did nothing. I wasn’t a newbie to roids at all but I still figured I’d give it a shot. For me it was junk. As soon as I was able I did my own Test increase and you will without a doubt notice a difference in probably a few weeks. Your energy, libido, stamina, mood, etc. should all be increased tremendously with even 200mgs. Personally I’d stick to going the legal route if possible. At least until you learn more and more about all PED’s and how they can help you with your goals.
Get that test level up and see how you feel and what progress you have made with your weight and training after like 6 months. If you don’t notice any significant change after that I’d say there has to be some other issues effecting your weight loss as well. Just my opinion though. Good luck man and keep us posted. I’m curious to see how this all pans out.

Getting on a trt dose will prob give you the energy and get you feeling good about working out. You prob feel drained all the time with your test level that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One...ditch your doc and try one that knows something about trt (urologist is usually a safe bet). *IF* your insurance covers trt through a legit doc, it will probably be $10-20 a month. If not, you can always do trt clinics, but they screw you with the "no insurance" policies they have (hence the $200 month). Or...you can do it yourself, do your own labs, etc. Try finding a doc that knows about trt...remember, they work FOR YOU. If you don't like your doc, fire him and get another.

Diet...there's a "bodybuilder's grocery list" thread here you can read up on. You should be doing lean meats, green vegetables, and your only carb sources should be oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes. If you want to figure out expected weight loss, find your resting metabolic rate for your age, height, etc. Your calorie intake should be 500 calories less than that each day. This will put you on target for one pound per week weight loss, just through diet. Consider whatever you burn through workouts as an added bonus. 2-3 pounds per week is a good weight loss goal. As mentioned before, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Shoot for 6 smaller meals per day, protein every meal. Without knowing all the details, 2600 cals a day is probably too much for you...that's probably more in the recomp diet range than weightloss diet range.

Workouts...kick it up to 5x week. 20 mins cardio before workout and 20 mins after. Or you can do morning and evening if your schedule is tight. Cardio does NOT need to be running/jogging. You can find your target heart rate for calorie burn...more than likely it will be in the 120-130 range. A brisk walk gets most people into this range. With your weight, just walking a tiny bit faster than normal for you will probably get you there (this is not meant as an insult, but legit advice from experience).

Gear is NOT going to make you lose weight. What you do in the kitchen is going to determine your weight loss. Period. A good trt protocol will help preserve your muscle mass and give you an energy boost though. So I highly recommend it. If you can afford it, a coach will help too (there's guys here).

Trt will definitely help but make sure you address other factors like adrenals and thyroid, if I had to do it all over again I would have gave those, especially thyroid equal attention. Now that I'm getting those dialed in I find less gear (trt dose to medium blasts) and lifestyle contribute the most to healthy weight loss and how I feel.

IML Gear Cream!
Just to make it clear, I'm NOT looking for "magic pills." But let's also be honest here: there are drugs that help. Particularly in building muscle, which burns calories, and that helps minimize fat storage. I'm not expecting TRT or whatever to do everything. But I'm sick of the chipper "All you need is diet!" bullshit too. That's a major component.

But I've seen people do the dieting and still remain fat fucks because they aren't active. Workouts and muscle generation mean a lot too in losing weight. Especially for guys that aren't natural fucking beanpoles like my doctor. Hence the desire to correct body chemistry too, and possibly get extra help with stackers.

My diet's not good yet. Was calorie counting before COVID. Got too hard and stressful after. I'm able to get the vaccine in 2 weeks, though. So I'm going to schedule with a nutrionist in April to sort that out.

I'm moving in ~3 months to a house with room for a gym. I'm getting in the habit of cardio now (I currently work from home, so walks are easier to do). By then, I'd like to find a coach for training. I'm shit at working out when I'm randomly deciding what to do each time. And I'm too mentally drained from wotk to care about making a routine. I want that to be someone else's problem, and I just follow along.

How do I find online bodybuilding coaches? I know one powerlifting coach. So he's a backup option. He's better than nothing. But the goals and methods of training are different. I'd rather have someone knowledgeable on how to realistically take fat asses like me and help me lose 100+ pounds, but while still gaining muscle. I'm not a twink. Don't want to be a twink. And I have no intention of ever becoming a twink. Might be vainity, but I want to look good AND like I can actually lift shit. I've got a broad build for it anyways.

I'll get diet sorted out by the end of April. Plan to get on TRT soon after I move and rework my budget accordingly. I think the only other major part I'm missing is a trainer and routine? Is that correct?

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT looking for "magic pills." But let's also be honest here: there are drugs that help. Particularly in building muscle, which burns calories, and that helps minimize fat storage. I'm not expecting TRT or whatever to do everything. But I'm sick of the chipper "All you need is diet!" bullshit too. That's a major component.

But I've seen people do the dieting and still remain fat fucks because they aren't active. Workouts and muscle generation mean a lot too in losing weight. Especially for guys that aren't natural fucking beanpoles like my doctor. Hence the desire to correct body chemistry too, and possibly get extra help with stackers.

My diet's not good yet. Was calorie counting before COVID. Got too hard and stressful after. I'm able to get the vaccine in 2 weeks, though. So I'm going to schedule with a nutrionist in April to sort that out.

I'm moving in ~3 months to a house with room for a gym. I'm getting in the habit of cardio now (I currently work from home, so walks are easier to do). By then, I'd like to find a coach for training. I'm shit at working out when I'm randomly deciding what to do each time. And I'm too mentally drained from wotk to care about making a routine. I want that to be someone else's problem, and I just follow along.

How do I find online bodybuilding coaches? I know one powerlifting coach. So he's a backup option. He's better than nothing. But the goals and methods of training are different. I'd rather have someone knowledgeable on how to realistically take fat asses like me and help me lose 100+ pounds, but while still gaining muscle. I'm not a twink. Don't want to be a twink. And I have no intention of ever becoming a twink. Might be vainity, but I want to look good AND like I can actually lift shit. I've got a broad build for it anyways.

I'll get diet sorted out by the end of April. Plan to get on TRT soon after I move and rework my budget accordingly. I think the only other major part I'm missing is a trainer and routine? Is that correct?

You're right there's no magic pills and the stuff that helps isn't going to do the work for you. And if by "stackers" you're talking about the prescription appetite suppressants and what not, if you don't learn how to eat and follow a fitness routine, how do you expect to keep the weight off once you stop them?

Having said that, I'd definitely get that test up to normal levels. You can do that through injections but unless you plan to stay on them the rest of your life, you could drop back down after stopping and without the lifestyle changes I talked about, start gaining unwanted weight back. If you lost weight and lived healthier, you'd likely see your test levels a good bit higher.

If I were in your situation, I'd use a TRT dose of test, and get on a SUSTAINABLE weight loss and fitness plan to make the most of it. No crash diet. No "stackers" at this point, whether more AAS or anything else. You don't need it and will likely end up back out of shape if you don't learn to live a different, healthier lifestyle.

Hit up montego1 for coaching. If he can't do it, he can point you in the right direction.

I think Wes takes guys too....handle is gymntonic here.

Last edited:
I don't know what the different stuff is called without looking things up. Again, newb here. But by "stackers" I mean how test "stacks" well with tren because they interact with different chemicals/ receptors to promote muscle grow or inhibit fat cells or whatever. Certain anabolics attach to the same receptors, so "stacking" them yeilds pure results due to competition instead of cooperation.

"If you lost weight and lived healthier, you'd likely see your test levels a good bit higher." Agreed. But having TRIED that (not perfectly, but not terribly either) and working out, and having lost practically no weight (compared to others eating the same "not ideal" way), there's something more than simply "eat better" that's wrong.

Hence why I want to try TRT. 8 lbs in 1.5 years is ridiculous. Especially when watching calories too, if not macros. SOMETHING is up if others can lose a lot more weight without going on perfect, bodybuilder diets. I'm just frustrated at having seen no real benefit from all that work.

Sustainable is what I'm looking for. I can't do crash shit. I know I don't have the temperament for that much suffering. And weight lose means nothing if I get it all back the moment I start eating anything remotely "normal" again. I just want to be able to weigh myself each week and see the trend line going down for once.

If you are as obese as it seems you are, TRT or all the gear in the world isn't going to help you. Your test levels are most likely low because of how unhealthy you, not the other way around. What you should be doing is diet and exercise. If youre not losing weight (especially if you have a lot to lose), it is because youre eating too many calories. The human body really isn't that complicated when it comes to this.

Thank you. I appreciate the references. I'm not quite ready yet, but before the end of April I likely will.

I don't know what the different stuff is called without looking things up. Again, newb here. But by "stackers" I mean how test "stacks" well with tren because they interact with different chemicals/ receptors to promote muscle grow or inhibit fat cells or whatever. Certain anabolics attach to the same receptors, so "stacking" them yeilds pure results due to competition instead of cooperation.

"If you lost weight and lived healthier, you'd likely see your test levels a good bit higher." Agreed. But having TRIED that (not perfectly, but not terribly either) and working out, and having lost practically no weight (compared to others eating the same "not ideal" way), there's something more than simply "eat better" that's wrong.

Hence why I want to try TRT. 8 lbs in 1.5 years is ridiculous. Especially when watching calories too, if not macros. SOMETHING is up if others can lose a lot more weight without going on perfect, bodybuilder diets. I'm just frustrated at having seen no real benefit from all that work.

Sustainable is what I'm looking for. I can't do crash shit. I know I don't have the temperament for that much suffering. And weight lose means nothing if I get it all back the moment I start eating anything remotely "normal" again. I just want to be able to weigh myself each week and see the trend line going down for once.

Do NOT even consider doing multiple compounds for a first cycle. Especially tren. Stick with trt for at least a year until you get things lined out. You'll be surprised.

Dieting can and will crash test levels, because you need fats to produce hormones. So even if you are eating "healthy", you'll still be eating at a deficit to lose weight.

If you are interested and serious, pm me.

I will help you put together a plan to get you started on the right foot.

No charge.

What's your daily diet look like?

Get Shredded!
If you are interested and serious, pm me.

I will help you put together a plan to get you started on the right foot.

No charge.

How do I message people? I tried looking for a link on your profile and can't find a "Message" option or anything. How do I do it on this site?

What's your daily diet look like?

Right now? Shit. I won't even pretend like I've tried this past year with COVID. Life was stressful enough, and I couldn't get to the gym anyways, so it was one stress removed to just relax on it.

But I'll be able to get vaccinated next month. And I'll be able to set up my own small gym by July. I'm trying to "get my ducks in a row" by then to hit it hard. These months before are my "rev up" period. Which, sadly, my fat ass needs before I hit the weights again.

To answer your question though, when I was calorie counting I never ate breakfast (I'm a zombie in the morning), usually had fast food for lunch (tried to limit fried foods, cut way back on sodas, and kept meals ~1,000 calories), then usually had homemade dinners such as stir fry, grilled food, pasta w/meat sauce, meatloaf, porkloin or chops, chicken noodle soup, tacos, enchiladas, chili, and veggie sides.

I'm a picky eater, but since marrying someone that can actually cook, I've gotten a lot better at eating peppers, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, celery, potatoes, corn, salad mix, and green beans.

Fruit and sugary things have always been easy for me to eat. We usually have either strawberries, grapes, bananas, oranges, berries, or apples in the house. My problem before was being a zombie in the morning and forgetting to take them to work. Even if I pre-packed a meal. Working from home right now, though, I eat them and breakfast more often wandering into my kitchen while taking a break from work.

I hate the taste of ALL seafood and will puke trying to stomach it. Same with most beans. Seriously, I cannot state enough how these two food groups are absolute no-goes to me. I only like canned green beans because the brining process chemically alters them, the texture, and the taste.

Basically, I have A LOT of room for improvement. Which I recognize and is part of the reason why I want to get help from a nutritionist to figure it all out.

P.S. I have no idea wtf a "macro" is, what they should be "set" at, or how to build a diet off of them. I just read people mentioning them all the time in a facebook powerlifting group I'm in. Supposedly building diets off of them matters?

Dont listen to the absolute calories in=calories out arguments and that our bodies are simple. Luckily we know more about the human body now.

So many things affect human metabolism, among many things;
- Hormonal balance. (Thyroid, T, E etc etc)
- Insulin resistance, diabetes, metabolic syndromes, sensitivity to carbs.
- genetics

Exercise and diet is obviously very relevant and important, but overdoing both can be detrimental . Ive ruined my metabolism more than once by overdoing. (and now it seems completely destroyed). Added a link below for a good explanation.

Also Low T can be a tricky chicken or the egg situation :( Hormones are very complicated. Low T can be caused by bad lifestyle ad obesity, sure. But it can also be the other way around, or even a combination. And there is plenty scientific peer reviews studies that reflect this. As well as a myriad of anecdotal evidence.

In my case for example, im overweight and very low T. But my low T is caused by my Pituitary gland not functioning well, so called secondary hypogonadism. In addition to Low T, i have low LH and FSH, as well as thyroid issues. So my entire endocrine system is out of whack.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that despite what some still claim in 2021, our bodies and our metabolism most definitely are not simple. and its most definitely not a 1+1=2 thing. Physiology are super individualistic. Most people that still claims that in this daqy and age, more than likely have stellar metabolism and likely never had any metabolic issues.

And even if its purely caused by bad lifestyle choices, once you are in the situation; Its very difficult to get out of it as low T is exactly good for energy and metabolism.

It may be prudent to start with reasonable TRT doses though (like 100mg/week) and build up from there to avoid massive E2 spikes etc, due to being big.

*https://youtu.be/2PQvCjEt7wY*

Last edited:
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. From what I've read, it really does seem to be a "chicken and egg" thing with test. Did you get low T somehow (glands, illness, etc) THEN gain weight? Or gain weight that lowered free test in your system?

I forget the details, but fat either blocks T or creates estrogen that does, then that inhibits muscle growth and lets more fat build. Or something cyclic like that. I'm just hoping getting my T to normal levels breaks helps to the cycle. And that with a better diet and exercise it'll help build muscle to fight back the tide, as it were. *Sigh.*

Also figure, if I'm going to put in that much effort, why not train for something as well, right? Get a more pointed goal in mind than "lose weight (well, fat)." I'd like build bulk muscle and start trying to look good too. So might as well try to find someone to coach me and help me through it all.

So much to do.

Your story sounds exactly like mine. I remember feeling frustrated and like I wasn't going anywhere with my exercise. I've been on trt for 2 years now and it's completely changed my life. However you have to do it, getting on a low dose of testosterone will completely change everything for you, including your mental state. I wanted to think about it for 6 months, and now I realize that was 6 months that I basically lost. I don't blast, I just do trt with a low dose masteron, and I love my life. Good luck buddy.

Bro, 2600 cals per day with an endomorphic bodytype, low T and a slow metabolism? Hell naw bruh.

Have you not seen "My 600 pound life"?

Dr. Nowzardaren would be shaking his head at your right now while saying, "You need to get on 1200 calorie per day diet, high protein, low carb and you will lose 80-100lbs in a month".

Of course you won't lose that much in a month if you aren't extremely morbidly obese, but you get the picture.

Bro, 2600 cals per day with an endomorphic bodytype, low T and a slow metabolism? Hell naw bruh.

Have you not seen "My 600 pound life"?

Dr. Nowzardaren would be shaking his head at your right now while saying, "You need to get on 1200 calorie per day diet, high protein, low carb and you will lose 80-100lbs in a month".

Of course you won't lose that much in a month if you aren't extremely morbidly obese, but you get the picture.

Spot on... 2600 cals way too much. If I want to drop a few lbs it’s around 1700, and that’s at 235 with 16%bf

Spot on... 2600 cals way too much. If I want to drop a few lbs it’s around 1700, and that’s at 235 with 16%bf

You cant be serious. 2600 too much to loose yeah. But 1700 would only accomplish him initially loosing some weight, then crash his metabolism. 1700 kcal would pretty guarantee that. I know coz ive tried. Its a very very bad idea.

With exercise, never lower than 2200/2300. Without exercise 2000

Then once stalling, drop max 2-300 kcal each step down.

Dropping too much at the same time is the worst thing to do with dieting. Our bodies are very good at survival mode to preserve energy during famine.....

Sorry. I misspoke. I checked myfitnesspal. At my weight (pre-pandemic), it was calculating that eating 2400 would lose weight. Not much a difference, but some. 1700 calories (in my limited understanding) would be weight lose for someone MUCH thinner than me.

From everything I've read, from every calculator I've seen, everything says to do a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose weight safely. And at 300 lbs, that's still above the "2000 average daily diet" for someone actually in shape.

Was that still too much? Honestly, I don't know. Hence why I want to find a trainer that knows wtf they are doing and how to modify things for me. I call myself a newb for a reason.

I've only ever lost weight once in my life: In bootcamp, were we had literally nothing to eat for a fucking month except salad with a piece of bread, or an MRE on occasion. All while hiking the mountains in Camp Pendleton all day long. So yeah, I lost 35 lbs in a month, fell to 152 lbs @ 5'10", and you could count my ribs. But I felt like shit the entire time (aside from the normal feeling of shit being in bootcamp) and gained most of it back in a month eating actual food at MCRD's chowhall after.

So not healthy. Not structured. Not sustainable. And I still didn't learn shit about proper workouts, gaining strength, or how to eat or care for myself. If you think I'm stupid and go, "How could you do that?!" it's because I am. I'll fully admit it. Don't know shit, which is why I'm on here.

Sorry. I misspoke. I checked myfitnesspal. At my weight (pre-pandemic), it was calculating that eating 2400 would lose weight. Not much a difference, but some. 1700 calories (in my limited understanding) would be weight lose for someone MUCH thinner than me.

From everything I've read, from every calculator I've seen, everything says to do a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose weight safely. And at 300 lbs, that's still above the "2000 average daily diet" for someone actually in shape.

Was that still too much? Honestly, I don't know. Hence why I want to find a trainer that knows wtf they are doing and how to modify things for me. I call myself a newb for a reason.

I've only ever lost weight once in my life: In bootcamp, were we had literally nothing to eat for a fucking month except salad with a piece of bread, or an MRE on occasion. All while hiking the mountains in Camp Pendleton all day long. So yeah, I lost 35 lbs in a month, fell to 152 lbs @ 5'10", and you could count my ribs. But I felt like shit the entire time (aside from the normal feeling of shit being in bootcamp) and gained most of it back in a month eating actual food at MCRD's chowhall after.

So not healthy. Not structured. Not sustainable. And I still didn't learn shit about proper workouts, gaining strength, or how to eat or care for myself. If you think I'm stupid and go, "How could you do that?!" it's because I am. I'll fully admit it. Don't know shit, which is why I'm on here.

Dr. Now (Bariatric Surgeon) is always getting asked by his patients, "what if I get malnutrition on 1200 cals?" He explains they basically have 3-4 years of food stored in their bodyfat and the liver has plenty of micronutrients stored up for a several day fast if they wanted to. When they fail to lose significant weight, he always tells them that they clearly are eating too much and sure enough they admit to cheating on their diet.

So the simple truth is that if you aren't losing weight it's because you are simply taking in too many calories - that's all there is to it. You can blame metabolic adaption and all these other excuses to eat more food but you are only fooling yourself.

I went through Army BCT myself and I went in at 145 and got up to the 150s. I didn't feel that bad just fatigued most of the time due to all the training and activity (esp in the heat). Why didn't I lose weight? Because I ate like a horse - I would ask for double servings of eggs in the morning, etc.

I'm not suggesting go extreme 1200 cals, but as the other guys have mentioned 1700-1800 is probably a good start.

Last edited:
Back