How many recovery days after hitting gym hard for several months?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Rep Points

How many recovery days after hitting gym hard for several months?

Been hitting the gym hard past several months, did a couple cycles, made solid gains, progress, etc. Some minor joint issues started flaring up, muscle tweaks here and there that usually never happen and are often a sign I need some recovery days. I usually take a several day break every 4 months or so and do nothing except maybe go for some runs. Anybody else do this? I'm on day three of no weights or anything, got a therapeutic massage, eating a lot but clean, feeling pretty good, sleeping great and can't wait to get back in the gym.

Anybody else do this, take recovery breaks that last a couple days? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,065 Posts
    Rep Points

I usually take a week off after every cycle is what I do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    823 Posts
    Rep Points

yeah man, you'll find that the older u get, the more recovery u need.(at least for me) Used to hit it EVERY day including weekends, holidays etc. Just can't do it now. 3-4 times a week for me is ALL. And every 3 mos. or so will take 3 or 4 days off, but if ur like me, it drives me crazy. Got real sick back in 2014 and couldn't lift for 3 mos.and guess what? I didn't die or turn into a fat slob like I always told myself I would. It just gets in ur blood bro- I just try not to get obsessive w/it- it's a fine line. Try to tell myself it's one of the FEW good addictions-lol

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by christiantt View Post
    Been hitting the gym hard past several months, did a couple cycles, made solid gains, progress, etc. Some minor joint issues started flaring up, muscle tweaks here and there that usually never happen and are often a sign I need some recovery days. I usually take a several day break every 4 months or so and do nothing except maybe go for some runs. Anybody else do this? I'm on day three of no weights or anything, got a therapeutic massage, eating a lot but clean, feeling pretty good, sleeping great and can't wait to get back in the gym.

Anybody else do this, take recovery breaks that last a couple days? If so, for how long?

Thanks!
    A sign of overtraining is having injuries...so you may not be taking enough time between sessions to completely recovery as it is.

If you take a vacation or two through out the year, then use that time to really rest. So if you go to Aruba for a week, don't lift. Just truly rest up. Decompress.

Ppl will also cycle in days of really light weight to help give their body a rest. Higher reps but lighter weight. So they still are working out but with less intensity. Periodization training. Look it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post
    A sign of overtraining is having injuries...so you may not be taking enough time between sessions to completely recovery as it is.

If you take a vacation or two through out the year, then use that time to really rest. So if you go to Aruba for a week, don't lift. Just truly rest up. Decompress.

Ppl will also cycle in days of really light weight to help give their body a rest. Higher reps but lighter weight. So they still are working out but with less intensity. Periodization training. Look it up.
    ^^^ this. ^^^

I honestly try not to get injury flare ups. Having blown both rotater cups, they now tell me when to back it down. Overtraining hurts gain. Maybe I'm old but 2 push pulls is plenty for me ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]D-Bol does a body good ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts
    Rep Points

Does anyone do push pull training anymore ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,197 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AMA rider View Post
    Does anyone do push pull training anymore ?
    PPL or Push/Pull as in chest/triceps, back/biceps splits?

I didn't choose the swolle life, the swolle life chose me~Wesley Swolle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_swolle View Post
    PPL or Push/Pull as in chest/triceps, back/biceps splits?

I didn't choose the swolle life, the swolle life chose me~Wesley Swolle
    Ya, like, mon-wed, push, bench, triceps extentions, squat, incline, shrugs.

Tue- Thursday pull. Curls, rows, pull downs, abs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Rep Points

Whatís your definition of several days off every 4 months? That sounds like during those 4 months you take zero days off. I take a couple to several days off every week depending on I'm on a 4 or 5 day training regiment. So I take 2 or 3 days off a week. Couple times a year Iíll take a week or two. Sometimes if my back injury flares up itís more time off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured78 View Post
    Whatís your definition of several days off every 4 months? That sounds like during those 4 months you take zero days off. I take a couple to several days off every week depending on I'm on a 4 or 5 day training regiment. So I take 2 or 3 days off a week. Couple times a year Iíll take a week or two. Sometimes if my back injury flares up itís more time off.
    Good question and I should have clarified originally.
    I workout 4-5 days a week, differentiating programs, etc to fit my goals. But as we all know here, if we go full dialed in for those 4-5 workouts, months on end, that's a-lot of body stress....gear or no gear.

I guess I'm saying I'm listening to my body tell me to take a break. But, perhaps, next time I can take the break before it hits the point of being forced to.
    Last edited by christiantt; 03-12-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by christiantt View Post

Thanks!
    Deload is something used to recover. This can be some days completely off from gym or some days week training with less volume and intensity. Never go to failure and never do more than 45min workout . The idea is to recover joints , central nervous system and muscle.
    There is no right time to do that ( you should do when you feel you need

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MONSTRO View Post
    Deload is something used to recover. This can be some days completely off from gym or some days week training with less volume and intensity. Never go to failure and never do more than 45min workout . The idea is to recover joints , central nervous system and muscle.
    There is no right time to do that ( you should do when you feel you need
    Monstro, when you deload, or take a break, how long?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Rep Points

for maximum progress you should really take a deload every 4 to 8 weeks, a beginner or early intermediate can usually go every 8 to 12, deloads are typically an entire week or sometimes two weeks, lookup how to deload on youtube, you can take time off or you lower the intensity and/or volume dramatically for an entire week.
    Last edited by MustardTiger; 03-16-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

I never train more than 2 days in a row and always take 2 consecutive days off in a week.
    RIP Big Lou

All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    927 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    yeah man, you'll find that the older u get, the more recovery u need.(at least for me) Used to hit it EVERY day including weekends, holidays etc. Just can't do it now. 3-4 times a week for me is ALL. And every 3 mos. or so will take 3 or 4 days off, but if ur like me, it drives me crazy. Got real sick back in 2014 and couldn't lift for 3 mos.and guess what? I didn't die or turn into a fat slob like I always told myself I would. It just gets in ur blood bro- I just try not to get obsessive w/it- it's a fine line. Try to tell myself it's one of the FEW good addictions-lol

Well fuck yeah you have to take long recovery breaks bro. Your two days older than dirt. Wtf do you expect? Lol Just j/king bro.