• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

New Marine Corps rifle qual

mbd1977

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...new-marine-corps-rifle-qualification-is-here/

This was long overdue.

But for the rest of the Marine Corps, a lot is going to change. There’s no more sitting position, shooters will wear combat gear from head to toe and use barricades, even the old targets are gone. A new “bad guy” photo, complete with a weapon, skullcap, dark sunglasses and short beard, replaces the round bull’s eye and shoulder outlines of old.

Where you hit the target matters a lot more now.
“We’ve shifted the target down to a human target,” Liston said. “You do need to strike in what have been identified as lethality zones.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilsong beard comment in 3...2....1.....

marine-marksmanship-target-1200x2250.jpg

Nice and it actually looks pretty tough to do . It should make them all more proficient

5.56 isnt design to be lethal tho, its a force multiplier, if they want lethal .458 should be the standard

5.56 isnt design to be lethal tho, its a force multiplier, if they want lethal .458 should be the standard
it does when you shoot them in the face and the article talks about headshots on the qualifying test and also close range shooting

I think it is all about the money. It's cheaper plain and simple. They knew it wasn't as effective as other calibers. So they sell it on "you can carry more rounds (because you'll need them), it tumbles/damages, etc, etc."

the payoff from 556 is it typically wounds the bad guy which means 1 more bad guy needs to stop shooting and treat the first bad guy. I do prefer 7.62 x 51 though.

Magazine capacity is always a factor as well.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

I think it is all about the money. It's cheaper plain and simple. They knew it wasn't as effective as other calibers. So they sell it on "you can carry more rounds (because you'll need them), it tumbles/damages, etc, etc."

Not so much. Thinking about carrying 20 .308 (7.62 nato) mags or more. That's a lot of weight to carry all day. IMO 5.56 is the best all around round. You can get them in steel core also. Theres a reason why the Russians copied the 5.56 round and went away from the 7.62x39 round.

Not so much. Thinking about carrying 20 .308 (7.62 nato) mags or more. That's a lot of weight to carry all day. IMO 5.56 is the best all around round. You can get them in steel core also. Theres a reason why the Russians copied the 5.56 round and went away from the 7.62x39 round.
Not to mention carrying a full size 308 rifle. I have 2 kits. One is 556 and the other 7.62x51. The 7.62 kit is rough to wear more than a few hours. But if I need something to reach out I would choose the 7.62x51 every time.

Not to mention carrying a full size 308 rifle. I have 2 kits. One is 556 and the other 7.62x51. The 7.62 kit is rough to wear more than a few hours. But if I need something to reach out I would choose the 7.62x51 every time.

I mean they do have the saw in 7.62. 338 and .50 will do the long range stuff.
But yes, they're heavy. I think 5.56 is the best all around round. Light platform, lighter rounds, capacity, tumble, steel core options, cheap for the military, cheap platform also.

5.56 is the C cup of ammo rounds. It serves its purpose, but it doesn't stand out in a crowd. Ammo should be like tits and dicks....the bigger, the better.

But yes, they're heavy. I think 5.56 is the best all around round. Light platform, lighter rounds, capacity, tumble, steel core options, cheap for the military, cheap platform also.
saw = belt fed hate FTW

They have the saw in 7.62? I carried it in 5.56. The 240G was in 7.62. Carried that too.

And yes, both are belt fed hate. The saw wasn’t as reliable from experience. Too many moving parts I think.

Last edited:
Sounds like there are some badass operators here. Whats a good first time rifle? I've never really wanted or needed anything more than my glock 19 and shotgun, but lately I've been looking at bigger pistols and rifles. Im thinking a cheap AR?

Sounds like there are some badass operators here. Whats a good first time rifle? I've never really wanted or needed anything more than my glock 19 and shotgun, but lately I've been looking at bigger pistols and rifles. Im thinking a cheap AR?

Where you finding "cheap" right now?

Buy them in parts and put them together yourself. Best way to do it.

Smart move. The Spec ops groups in the Corp have been doing this for years.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...new-marine-corps-rifle-qualification-is-here/

This was long overdue.

But for the rest of the Marine Corps, a lot is going to change. There’s no more sitting position, shooters will wear combat gear from head to toe and use barricades, even the old targets are gone. A new “bad guy” photo, complete with a weapon, skullcap, dark sunglasses and short beard, replaces the round bull’s eye and shoulder outlines of old.

Where you hit the target matters a lot more now.
“We’ve shifted the target down to a human target,” Liston said. “You do need to strike in what have been identified as lethality zones.”

I consider shotguns and side arms as last resort weapons. If shtf happens you will need a rifle. First time buyer I would get a AR15. Carbine length or longer with an ACOG. You can get more exotic stuff down the road. Prices are high though, pretty sure everyone is thinking the same thing.

My new fav is a AR10 SBR in 7.62x51. Nutty knock down power in a small package.

I put ACOG optics on most of my rifles that are carbine length or smaller.

I consider shotguns and side arms as last resort weapons. If shtf happens you will need a rifle. First time buyer I would get a AR15. Carbine length or longer with an ACOG. You can get more exotic stuff down the road. Prices are high though, pretty sure everyone is thinking the same thing.

My new fav is a AR10 SBR in 7.62x51. Nutty knock down power in a small package.

I put ACOG optics on most of my rifles that are carbine length or smaller.
6.5 creedmore if you wanna survive and put meat on the table, 223 wydle barrel for defense just because ammo is cheap and you can buy in bulk. I built a few SBRs my camera broke on my phone Ill try to figure out a way to post a pic

Back