• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

elliptical or rowing for cardio

Planteater

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I need to up my cardio (both for cutting and for heart health since my bloods are not perfect).
But I throw all my mental intensity into lifting. Don't got much mental room for cardio discipline.

I know I can mindlessly work an elliptical while I watch TV but not sure a rowing machine won't be a little too intense for me after my intense lifting sessions.

Taking it easy while lifting is not an option-- I enjoy that too much and lift as much for the rush as for the results.

I think rowing seems far superior to elliptical as an exercise, but still maybe a bit too much. I have a prowler that I break out once a week, and I think the intensity of a prowler is what is holding me back.

Something simple like jumprope or running will also require too much discipline, and also my joints won't like it.

Do you guys ever row for cardio? What do you do that you find easy? Have any trouble keeping up with rowing? Do you have any thoughts about how to do cardio mindlessly?

(home gym only)

I have a stationary bike at home...I pedal for 30 minutes 3 days a week ...

I have always been big on using the Stairmaster, 30-45 min at a slow but steady pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elipitical for me

Easy on the joints. And it can be made more challenging by increased speed, ramp, resistance. Even a weighted belt.

Finding I need to do at least 40 min for desired results.

And done in a fasted state first thing in the morning is a game changer.

You could just auto pilot while watching tv... but you are wasting your time IMO.

You get out of it what you put into it.

Comparing the two, the rowing machine has always been the more stressful option for me. Maybe it's more effective but .. I just can't bring myself to do regular sets. Elliptical is more suitable for gym workouts (for me). The load goes evenly to the whole body (if you do not forget about the hands). In general, I like to use simple team games as a cardio workout. We put together a field hockey team in my area. This kind of warm-up is much easier than cardio in the gym. But there is a nuance here. We have an excellent field of play nearby. That is, none of us spend a lot of time to get there. So, you can consider this option. If you dare then welcome to navigate to this site. My first hockey stick was like this))

I used to be on a rowing team in college and rowing is still one of my favorite types of cardio. The two most common mistakes I see people who are jumping on an erg make are 1)bumping up the resistance to the highest level and 2) not focusing enough on form. For cardio on an erg, you do not want high resistance, as you can actually start to wear down the muscles in your lower back (this at least according to my coach who was on an Ivy League rowing team and had a sub 4 or 3 2k, which is absolutely wild to watch) we always practiced at a 3 or a 4 level of resistance which is pretty comparable to actual water once you get going. Secondly, rowing is, at its heart, a water sport. If you think about it, if you get in a boat you can be the strongest rower out there but if your form is shit you're wasting a lot of your energy and causing you to have to correct on the next row. You might have the best form ever, but I always always recommend watching a few videos and doing some research, as it truly does make a huge difference. As for me, mindless cardio usually comes with some good tunes and pushing through long enough for those feel good chemicals to flood the brain. I do love the team games cardio workout idea, definitely going to have to find a way to give it a go here!

Racquetball. Only need 1 partner. And you can bean his ass if his focus slips. Good times.

I have always been big on using the Stairmaster, 30-45 min at a slow but steady pace.

I tried that thing one time man fuck that not for me... I prefer stationary bike for 60 mins and usually can do 15 miles.

I used to be on a rowing team in college and rowing is still one of my favorite types of cardio. The two most common mistakes I see people who are jumping on an erg make are 1)bumping up the resistance to the highest level and 2) not focusing enough on form. For cardio on an erg, you do not want high resistance, as you can actually start to wear down the muscles in your lower back (this at least according to my coach who was on an Ivy League rowing team and had a sub 4 or 3 2k, which is absolutely wild to watch) we always practiced at a 3 or a 4 level of resistance which is pretty comparable to actual water once you get going. Secondly, rowing is, at its heart, a water sport. If you think about it, if you get in a boat you can be the strongest rower out there but if your form is shit you're wasting a lot of your energy and causing you to have to correct on the next row. You might have the best form ever, but I always always recommend watching a few videos and doing some research, as it truly does make a huge difference. As for me, mindless cardio usually comes with some good tunes and pushing through long enough for those feel good chemicals to flood the brain. I do love the team games cardio workout idea, definitely going to have to find a way to give it a go here!

2k in 4 min?! How the hell did he do that?!! Lol, impressive, I don’t think I ever been under 7 min... :(

OP, I use both, rower for shorter more intense (not intense enough obviously if you compare to the guy that did 2k in 4 min) cardio sessions and a little longer (20-30 min) on the elliptical, I try to keep my heart rate around 130-150 but I do sessions when I keep it over 150 also. To me the elliptical is superior because it’s easiest on the body.

Last edited:
Back