How old were you when you went back to college/trade school ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Rep Points

How old were you when you went back to college/trade school ?

Was it worth it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,598 Posts
    Rep Points

Look at you with all the life questions today. I was mid 20's when I went back to school (see my other post in your thread, so you can get a picture). Hard, but well worth it. If you're looking at "trade" school, some will carry over to college credits. Just depends on the classes/school. It is a good way to get an accelerated work career if you pull it off.

If you don't have marketable skills, college and trade school are ALWAYS worth it. Just fyi...a LOT of employers will not even look at an applicant who has less than a bachelor degree. At least as far as white collar jobs. Sad, but true.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,309 Posts
    Rep Points

I started undegrad at 18. Got my BS at 21 and went back to Grad School a few years later. Also got some free education when working in the medical field.

I loved college and lived in dorms for 4 years and it was one of the best times of my life.

As for my "degrees", I see those as useless pieces of paper, that are or were simply a "key" to open a door.

Most of my "education" came from first hand experience.

As a Director of a Program in my early 30s I was supposed to be hiring people with Masters Degrees, etc. These people were useless. Book smart and street stupid.

I did better with Staff with HS diplomas or Associates Degrees even. The higher the level of education, the more useless the employee was to some degree, UNLESS they had a medical cert and were performing a precise specific function, but those were far and few.

The CNA's in the medical field, handled all the actual patients and knew them better then any doctor or surgeon in the hospital. They were overworked and under paid.

I had friends of mine who went to trade schools for Electrical, or HVAC or even plumbing. They were making way more money then I was and I had to oversee something like 50 staff, a 5million dollar budget and constant 24 hour on call, etc. It was not worth it.

What I will say though, is the failure of my degrees and jobs associated with my degree, led me to start my own business in a field I love and am great at. So I will give it credit for that LOL.

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GYMnTONIC View Post
    I started undegrad at 18. Got my BS at 21 and went back to Grad School a few years later. Also got some free education when working in the medical field.

I loved college and lived in dorms for 4 years and it was one of the best times of my life.

As for my "degrees", I see those as useless pieces of paper, that are or were simply a "key" to open a door.

Most of my "education" came from first hand experience.

As a Director of a Program in my early 30s I was supposed to be hiring people with Masters Degrees, etc. These people were useless. Book smart and street stupid.

I did better with Staff with HS diplomas or Associates Degrees even. The higher the level of education, the more useless the employee was to some degree, UNLESS they had a medical cert and were performing a precise specific function, but those were far and few.

The CNA's in the medical field, handled all the actual patients and knew them better then any doctor or surgeon in the hospital. They were overworked and under paid.

I had friends of mine who went to trade schools for Electrical, or HVAC or even plumbing. They were making way more money then I was and I had to oversee something like 50 staff, a 5million dollar budget and constant 24 hour on call, etc. It was not worth it.

What I will say though, is the failure of my degrees and jobs associated with my degree, led me to start my own business in a field I love and am great at. So I will give it credit for that LOL.
    college doesnt always equal success, most people dont understand what the real value of learning is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,598 Posts
    Rep Points

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HbottomFbetaO3 View Post
    Before HillibillyFagetOutcastO3 posts his lies in here I will tell you the truth about him. He never graduated high school. It would not have mattered if he did. He has the mental capacity of a child and he is useless. He contributes nothing to society and he is a burden to those around him that wish he was dead and may just convince him towards that goal of happiness for themselves.
    dude biden won why cant you liberals be happy about anything? wish I could neg you more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Rep Points

I never graduated. I stopped going in 10th grade. I have no regrets about it and not a single student loan. Iím a field inspector(different from an adjuster) for insurance companies and I make really good money. Before that I was doing roofing sales. My wife and I are in the process of opening our business. When I was in school I felt it was a waste of time past 9th grade as everything I actually learned was on my own any way.