• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

lower chest exercises?

dungwookie

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
what exercises can i do to grow my lower chest muscles?
my upper chest area is growing but i cant seem to see any results in my lower.
just not well defined.
Thanks
Dungwookie

wide grip declines and dips works for my outer/lower chest ... I'd suggest to work on recruiting the lower chest muscle fibers and learning how to contract them under a load. I know from experience that more weight makes me grow, but more in my tris and shoulders and not my chest, so I've had to work more on form versus just loading as much weight as possible to try and grow.

Using cable crossovers are a good finisher. From high to low.

This will sound weird, but go in front of your mirror and practice this movement.

Determine what angle contracts your lower pecs the most. And do this at the gym with moderate weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep , like they said decline press and crosscables

Anything decline with Dumbell or barbell.

Cables ...

specifically single arm cable work in a position where you can feel the “lower” portion of your chest taking the brunt of the load.

ryan humiston does a video about using cables to really get a complete chest workout in.

I do isolated standing cable decline presses and vary my grip position until I can feel it really target the specific area. I do one side at a time and use my free hand to place over my pec and help me determine the best position.

I don’t have a decline bench right now so I haven’t been able to incorporate decline bench presses in forever.

Ok, thanks for the advice.
i have been doing alot of cable work to try and isolate/focus on that region and it has been effective for my upper/mid chest.
so i'll add different movements to concentrate more on the lower portion. and decline barbell!
thanks,
dungwookie

Try putting a 25 lb plate under the foot of your adjustable bench and doing DB presses.

Flat Bench is the king of chest exercises. Just like Squat is for legs

It has been proven that a 30° incline bench is king, but whatever. There are many studies on it.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

If theres scientific studies to back that up than I cant argue. But the best chests I’ve seen in bodybuilders were from guys that had a pretty impressive flat bench. And I dont mean 1rm, moderate heavy weight for 8-12 reps. Same rule applies to squats, if your squatting 5 plates with good controlled form for 8-12 reps your going to have good wheels. And to add my personal experience, I’ve always started on incline and went to flat second. When I switched my focus to Flat first thats when my chest started growing. Could have just been because my body was so use to incline, but I want to say I incorporate more chest in flat, rather that more shoulders like I do on incline.

My chest grew best when I stopped using barbells, same with my legs.

You will grow the most from what you feel the most. Moving weight isnt what makes us grow, contracting, squeezing and stretching the muscle is. Thats why dumbbells are great to really exaggerate the ROM

My chest grew best when I stopped using barbells, same with my legs.
Stopped? So with dumbells gains were better for you?

I would always say barbell rules, but maybe splitting up the weight constantly helped work you out in a way your body wasn't used to.

You think it could've been the same if you went from barbells to dumbbells?

This is really interesting. I'm not being a smart ass.

Flat Bench is the king of chest exercises. Just like Squat is for legs

Flat bench is king and always will be king. There arw studies on it, but fuck em and their studies

So much wrong in these threads by people who don't know biomechanics. No offense I'm sure you're great elsewhere.

The costal pec is easily targeted by costal flies, or costal presses.

You can't just say do decline bench. Because depending on how someone is anatomically shaped, their decline press can easily be a crap ton of sternal pec instead. (Decline bench sucks because it prevents your scapula from rotating properly anyways and your shoulders run out of room much faster. This is why you see people do that silly shrug movement at the bottom portion of the decline press.)

A fly where your arm path follows along the outside line of your pec will target the costal pec. If this doesn't make sense I would need to post a pic or video.

Dips are also another great costal developer if you understand the arm path needed. Which is the issue here. I can't just tell you a movement because like earlier, what's costal for one person can be sternal for another.

Last edited:
Stopped? So with dumbells gains were better for you?

I would always say barbell rules, but maybe splitting up the weight constantly helped work you out in a way your body wasn't used to.

You think it could've been the same if you went from barbells to dumbbells?

This is really interesting. I'm not being a smart ass.

yes more growth from dbs and machines vs barbells. I was forced to switch because of shoulder problems so it wasn’t intentional but when i found I got better growth and less pain. If I could go back I would’ve never used barbells on anything. I find it’s easier to isolate the muscle as opposed.

So much wrong in these threads by people who don't know biomechanics. No offense I'm sure you're great elsewhere.

The costal pec is easily targeted by costal flies, or costal presses.

You can't just say do decline bench. Because depending on how someone is anatomically shaped, their decline press can easily be a crap ton of sternal pec instead. (Decline bench sucks because it prevents your scapula from rotating properly anyways and your shoulders run out of room much faster. This is why you see people do that silly shrug movement at the bottom portion of the decline press.)

A fly where your arm path follows along the outside line of your pec will target the costal pec. If this doesn't make sense I would need to post a pic or video.

Dips are also another great costal developer if you understand the arm path needed. Which is the issue here. I can't just tell you a movement because like earlier, what's costal for one person can be sternal for another.

2nd!

Dips are amazing, highly under rated. Probably top 3 for me next to Overhead Press and the King, Bench Press

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
2nd!

Dips are amazing, highly under rated. Probably top 3 for me next to Overhead Press and the King, Bench Press

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
i love dips the Meadows does them. Lean forward, get deep in the stretch and come up3/4 of the way

Try decline db press and really really contract. Also decline db flyes with emphasis on the contraction and higher rep range. Lately I've just been doing crossover because it's convenient

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back