• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Hex vs barbell for deadlift

Trying to increase my DL without blowing my back out. 35 yrs old now so not a spring chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hex bar gives the user a very different leverage and handgrip. It is much easier. Not to say that using it cannot improve your overall "normal" deadlift. But it like "sumo" is more of a specialty lift in my experiences. Changes the ROM and the movement altogether.

What I have learned from my years, and especially true for strongman or PL, is that if you want to get stronger in one specific lift, you need to focus on that lift, and multiple times per week and you want to use secondary or assistance lifts, to supplement strength for precisely that specific lift.

Case in point, I can take a 200lb kid and work with him only on Atlas Stones for a year. And he will be throwing 300+ over a bar. I can take the next 200lb kid and have him do a variety of gym lifts, deadlift, bench, etc. I can have him benching 300, squatting 400, deadlifting 500. And I can take him to that 300lb atlas stone and he will be lucky to get that stone 6" off the ground.

The other kid that does the stones won't be benching probably anything but maybe 225.

It's all relative. Certainly your basic lifter with experience, generally speaking will have an advantage but I have learned that if you want to get stronger in a specific lift, the best thing you can do is just increase intensity an volume..on that same lift.

I find the hex bar works well for me and I have lower back issues...not to mention at almost 57 I am certainly no spring chicken either!

Wes summed it up as usual. I will say, yes, I use hex bar for things that would aggravate my lower back. But as Wes pointed out, in the end we aren't really helping to strengthen our lower back by avoiding it. But we can implement other exercises to target it and improve it, with less chance of injury. Hyperextensions are one of my favorite for targeting lower back and actually helps improve it (stretching, etc) when it is aggravated by other exercises.

Look up "yoga for big bastards" to find good back stretches and exercises.

Wes summed it up as usual. I will say, yes, I use hex bar for things that would aggravate my lower back. But as Wes pointed out, in the end we aren't really helping to strengthen our lower back by avoiding it. But we can implement other exercises to target it and improve it, with less chance of injury. Hyperextensions are one of my favorite for targeting lower back and actually helps improve it (stretching, etc) when it is aggravated by other exercises.

Look up "yoga for big bastards" to find good back stretches and exercises.

I agree and a lot of orthopedic surgeons advise them for certain patients; just depends on the surgery or extent of the injury. I also do yoga and it is no joke!! My oldest sis is a master yogi!

Max

Yeah , stretching is important . But in my older years I switched to the smithachine my self and just do more reps at like 70%

The trap bar doesn't give you guys issues with your lower back because most of the load isn't in the posterior chain I would bet.

The way you're positioned in a trap bar shifts a majority of the load to the hips and quads, not the lower back and hamstrings.

So no, it's not going to help you with your deadlift unless you set up in a way to target the lower back and hamstrings in which case, why?

Yeah , stretching is important . But in my older years I switched to the smithachine my self and just do more reps at like 70%
Smith machine deads are harder than regular ones, true?

If you’re competing you should do regular but otherwise, who cares, do what feels the best, or do heavy days with trap bar and lighter days with regular bb, in the end do what makes you happy, that will give you the best results.

I went with the hex bar today and it felt fine. One thing I did do differently is stretch. Like really stretch for a solid 15 minutes before I started. I’m thinking in the next few days doing the BB deadlifts with stretching before hand and seeing how that goes. Thanks for the tips and I’ll discreetly look into doing yoga lol.

I went with the hex bar today and it felt fine. One thing I did do differently is stretch. Like really stretch for a solid 15 minutes before I started. I’m thinking in the next few days doing the BB deadlifts with stretching before hand and seeing how that goes. Thanks for the tips and I’ll discreetly look into doing yoga lol.

Becoming a supple leopard

Check it out

My boys use to laugh at me when I went to Zumba class . Im single and the class is full of women with yoga pants on . So they can laugh all they want .

I find the hex bar works well for me and I have lower back issues...not to mention at almost 57 I am certainly no spring chicken either!

Hey, how much do you deadlift?

Back