• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Who uses a pressure cooker to sterilize vials?

Twk303

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Wondering who uses one to sterilize their bottles or jugs?

Seeing how you do it... Wondering if I need to add a step prior or after.

Thanks fellas

Wondering who uses one to sterilize their bottles or jugs?

Seeing how you do it... Wondering if I need to add a step prior or after.

Thanks fellas
Sorry brother but I've never done it myself with a pressure cooker. What's wrong with using dry heat sterilization?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I double checked and meant to say instant pot. Heard it can be used to sterilize vials .

I've never heard of the dry heat process. I'll have to check that out now

I double checked and meant to say instant pot. Heard it can be used to sterilize vials .

I've never heard of the dry heat process. I'll have to check that out now
Wash vials with hot water, submerge in 70% or higher isotropyl alcohol. Then place upside down on baking try covered with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Let them cool before removing them from oven. Got it??

Put everything in there, preferably on a trivet so it's not on the pot directly but you can if you need to, set for either manual or steam for 3min, when it's done allow to naturally release for 10min, anything that's left you can manually release and you're good.

I put 5 vials, 5 stops in the instant pot and put on sanitizer mode for 30 mins... Added 1 cup of water. These things came out hella clean.

Way faster then the dry method

I put 5 vials, 5 stops in the instant pot and put on sanitizer mode for 30 mins... Added 1 cup of water. These things came out hella clean.

Way faster then the dry method
Nice bro.. Did you put it on a tray or just lay them on the bottom and there wasn't no moisture in the vials when it was done?

I used to use a pressure cooker to sterilize substrate for magic mushrooms! Now it collects dust.

It comes with a tray to set things on, but vials and stops would fall through so I covered it with tinfoil. Zero moisture in the vials and crystal clear.

It comes with a tray to set things on, but vials and stops would fall through so I covered it with tinfoil. Zero moisture in the vials and crystal clear.
So I tried it today brother, and the vial and stopper I had wrapped in tinfoil and it came out perfect but the media bottle I just covered the top with tinfoil and it was all wet inside, but I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

IML Gear Cream!
So I tried it today brother, and the vial and stopper I had wrapped in tinfoil and it came out perfect but the media bottle I just covered the top with tinfoil and it was all wet inside, but I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

I don't or haven't wrapped anything with tin foil except the rack so the items don't fall through.

Maybe run the media bottle again but lay it on its side and don't cover it

I don't or haven't wrapped anything with tin foil except the rack so the items don't fall through.

Maybe run the media bottle again but lay it on its side and don't cover it
In trying that right now and will keep you posted...

In trying that right now and will keep you posted...

How'd it turn out for you?

Btw. I set my timer on it to 10 wait and 30 mins on sanitizer mode

How'd it turn out for you?

Btw. I set my timer on it to 10 wait and 30 mins on sanitizer mode
Yea that's what I did Brother. Mine has a sterilize button that is 10 minutes so I pressed that then waited 30 minutes for it to completely cool down and this time it was much better but there is still a drop or 2 of water inside. So I just did what I always do and sprayed the inside with 90% isotropyl alcohol and put it in the conventional oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. When it was done I opened the oven door just so it could cool down faster. The whole process take a hour which I guess it's as bad as long as you're doing a few of them at a time... It's weird tho because it worked for the vials and silicone stoppers, but I wrapped about 20 vials and stoppers in foil completely instead of just covering the top like I did with the media bottle the first time. That time it was really wet on the inside. When I left it uncovered like you said there was only literally 2 drops on the inside. I figure with the 10 minutes it takes to work, and the 30 minutes it takes to cool down it's only an extra 20 minutes to do it the other way, and it's never failed me in 5 years, but I'm always looking or interested in trying different ways of doing things that might be faster or just work better.

Any other suggestions you have I'm always willing to listen.

PM me....

Can you add some photos for me. I want to know exactly how you did it. I'm doing dry air and there is a lot of Pip.

I use dry heat to sterilize vials. I'm still using the instructions that where put on this forum years ago.

This was posted in 2012:

Oven
Dry heat is less effective than steam for sanitizing and sterilizing, but many brewers use it. The best place to do dry heat sterilization is in your oven. To sterilize an item, refer to the following table for temperatures and times required.

Table 3 - Dry Heat Sterilization

Temperature Duration

338°F (170°C) 60 minutes

320°F (160°C) 120 minutes

302°F (150°C) 150 minutes

284°F (140°C) 180 minutes

250°F (121°C) 12 hours (Overnight)

The times indicated begin when the item has reached the indicated temperature. Although the durations seem long, remember this process kills all microorganisms, not just most as in sanitizing. To be sterilized, items need to be heat-proof at the given temperatures. Glass and metal items are prime candidates for heat sterilization.

Some homebrewers bake their bottles using this method and thus always have a supply of clean sterile bottles. The opening of the bottle can be covered with a piece of aluminum foil prior to heating to prevent contamination after cooling and during storage. They will remain sterile indefinitely if kept wrapped.

One note of caution: bottles made of soda lime glass are much more susceptible to thermal shock and breakage than those made of borosilicate glass and should be heated and cooled slowly (e.g. 5 °F per minute). You can assume all beer bottles are made of soda lime glass and that any glassware that says Pyrex or Kimax is made of borosilicate.

Autoclaves and Pressure Cookers

Typically when we talk about using steam we are referring to the use of an autoclave or pressure cooker. These devices use steam under pressure to sterilize items. Because steam conducts heat more efficiently, the cycle time for such devices is much shorter than when using dry heat. The typical amount of time it takes to sterilize a piece of equipment in an autoclave or pressure cooker is 20 minutes at 257° F (125 °C) at 20 pounds per square inch (psi).

BUY STERILE SEALED VIALS
You can also buy sealed vials and remove the aluminum cap and then use a syringe needle to vent the stopper and fill will a syringe with a 18 or 15g needle Then recap. This is more expensive to do but if you are only doing it at a small scale then this maybe best for you.

Please Vet brewers add Ideas to this thread to help noobs keep there glass vials sterile.\

http://www.anabolicsteroidforums.com/threads/3366-How-to-sterilize-vials

Wash vials with hot water, submerge in 70% or higher isotropyl alcohol. Then place upside down on baking try covered with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Let them cool before removing them from oven. Got it??

That's how I did it when I brewed a while back. Never had any problems so it's definitely a good process. I think I may use the pressure cooker this time though since I was gifted one.

Back