RoidVisor

Bodybuilding Is Dead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Rep Points

I competed from 83 to 94...one difference I notice is the lack of local meets...in ohio there would be at least 1 meet a month...mr ohio was in June...mr youngstown was in August...mr toledo (glass city) was in July...mr akron was in July...mr cleveland was in September/October...I would see many of the same guys at these meets...there was a kind of comraderie...posters were up in all the gyms letting guys know when the meets were being held...times have changed...

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,526 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Koolio View Post
    I competed from 83 to 94...one difference I notice is the lack of local meets...in ohio there would be at least 1 meet a month...mr ohio was in June...mr youngstown was in August...mr toledo (glass city) was in July...mr akron was in July...mr cleveland was in September/October...I would see many of the same guys at these meets...there was a kind of comraderie...posters were up in all the gyms letting guys know when the meets were being held...times have changed...
    awesome to know. and you have a point there, I heard about this as well, guys were more inclined to keep others updated with posters, not to be funny the same with with wrestling matches as well for some that did wrestling in the off season. I recall in my area when I was young, we had a few that advertised this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Rep Points

My humble and non-important opinion, is that the sport today has been too over saturated with gear abuse. As it has been stated, the men AND women that are pro’s today are all just freakshows and DONT look good, or have anything appealing to the general public/fans. Additionally, and this has just been my personal experience, the sport is full of these egotistical, overconfident fuckbags and bitches, people that think that because they have muscle that they are “warriors” and fitness Gods. The general attitude is that they are better than everyone else. And just FORGET about having a normal conversation with someone while they are on prep. It has become the acceptable thing for these people to just become total pricks to EVERYONE while they are prepping for a show. People have forgotten how to just be decent human beings and that attitude has personally kept me from stepping on stage.

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,948 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joocey View Post
    I agree. Men's physique now has guys almost twice the size of Classic physique competitors from a couple of years ago. It's crazy how big they're getting.
    Just ask the general public.

You will get the answer.

Or hell, go talk to chicks in a bar. Way, way different compared to what guys here think.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,949 Posts
    Rep Points

The IFBB will always be driven by bodybuilding.

Not Classic, not physique, not bikini, not figure, wellness or any of the other classes.

If you go to an IFBB show and you're not going to cheer on a friend, 95% of the time you're going to see the open and 212 bodybuilding.

Nobody is interested at looking at the same 40 physiques come across the stage in board shorts.

They want to see major differences in size, structure and symmetry that come with bodybuilding.

The npc on the other hand lives on the "easier" classes because, they're easier which means, more people THINK they can be successful in those classes.

Bodybuilding isn't dead though. It's just as niche as it has always been but, it's taking longer for the talent to get to the size needed to be competitive and, they're using the smaller classes to do this over time

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,948 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    The IFBB will always be driven by bodybuilding.

Not Classic, not physique, not bikini, not figure, wellness or any of the other classes.

If you go to an IFBB show and you're not going to cheer on a friend, 95% of the time you're going to see the open and 212 bodybuilding.

Nobody is interested at looking at the same 40 physiques come across the stage in board shorts.

They want to see major differences in size, structure and symmetry that come with bodybuilding.

The npc on the other hand lives on the "easier" classes because, they're easier which means, more people THINK they can be successful in those classes.

Bodybuilding isn't dead though. It's just as niche as it has always been but, it's taking longer for the talent to get to the size needed to be competitive and, they're using the smaller classes to do this over time
    Not disagreeing with you but another example of what made bodybuilding popular was Arnold.

The man was a walking, talking story that everyone liked.

And to this day he looks waaaay better than the freaks you see now.

Men admired him and women wanted to be with him.

A personality you felt like you could sit down and have a beer with.

Not some guy with traps up to his ears with veins popping out of his forehead looking like some Neanderthal that can do little more than grunt or use single syllable words.

Nothing and I mean nothing about this sport is approachable to the general population.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,526 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Foursome View Post
    Not disagreeing with you but another example of what made bodybuilding popular was Arnold.

Not some guy with traps up to his ears with veins popping out of his forehead looking like some Neanderthal that can do little more than grunt or use single syllable words.

Nothing and I mean nothing about this sport is approachable to the general population.
    Well that's just a thing, there's motherfuckers that just don't give a shit what other people think and they're not trying to make friends, all they're trying to do is get their food in, train, spend time with their family if they have it and sleep, and repeat the next day. Listen I get what you're saying.
    3 years ago what I was a bit excessive there was an old man that turned around to me in line in Walmart and he said to my wife as he was pointing at me "I want him on my team", then his buddy walk by and he tapped his buddy and pointed back at me and said that he wants me on their team. The first thing I thought about and joked up my wife was that it was something sexual HA.
    But he was just being playful, he didn't have a team he was using that as a reference. He wouldn't say that to me now because I look like shit/feel like dog shit.

the majority of bodybuilders that I know, have a very small circle, they're set in their ways and they don't want to be fucked with.
    I get what you're saying. That goes back to my post above how people can actually relate, or at least it's realistic..
    People have a preconceived notion about bodybuilders.
    And there's two gorillas that I know personally that are actually really quiet dudes but I often wonder if they have something wrong with them that they've never told me.
    But either way they don't care and they love what they do like seriously.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,949 Posts
    Rep Points

No, open bodybuilding isn't appealing to the masses but, being appealing isn't what drives ticket sales to the IFBB.

People go to a UFC fight in hopes of a spectacular knockout, not two guys laying on each other for three rounds.

Same with bodybuilding. People go to see the freaks. Without the freaks you don't have an audience other then friends and family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,206 Posts
    Rep Points

Arnold was kind of a prick in the 70’s too tho.

he is most def a blown wad nowadays ...

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,948 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    No, open bodybuilding isn't appealing to the masses but, being appealing isn't what drives ticket sales to the IFBB.

People go to a UFC fight in hopes of a spectacular knockout, not two guys laying on each other for three rounds.

Same with bodybuilding. People go to see the freaks. Without the freaks you don't have an audience other then friends and family.
    What are the comparative TV ratings between the two?

No comparison.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,949 Posts
    Rep Points

No comparison.
    I don't understand your point....I'm not comparing UFC to bodybuilding in terms of viewers.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,526 Posts
    Rep Points

No comparison.
    What Monty is saying with a comparison, people want to see the freaks at the end, the same for the UFC the majority of people don't want to sit through the preliminaries, and for the average fan that has no fight experience or fight IQ, they couldn't understand the chess match on the ground and naturally people would much rather see two contender swinging for the fences. Basically fuck all the chowder and potatoes in between what's the end result with the freaks.

And you can't compare the both with ratings on TV, one is admiring a statue, and the other is the thrill of watching competitors put everything on the line with greater stakes, the drama and shift with the motions is much more dramatic.