• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Bodybuilding Is Dead

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Bodybuilding Is Dead

Paul Dillett shares some stories from his bodybuilding past and explains why he thinks bodybuilding today is dead.

There’s nothing new about comparing today’s bodybuilding to eras past. But during our conversation with Paul Dillett, he highlighted a comparison in a different way than purely on the quality of physiques. He looked at the sport as a whole. The celebrity status of top athletes, the physiques, the revenue – all of it. In our latest GI Exclusvie interview, Paul Dillett explains why he thinks bodybuilding today is dead.

Paul Dillett makes one thing clear during our conversation about bodybuilding today – he strongly believes there are talented hard working bodybuilders on stage today. That being said, he also believes that in spite of that, the sport itself is not the same as it used to be.

Surprisingly, his statements don’t focus on the physiques of bodybuilders today. Instead, it focuses on the overall reaction to athletes and the business opportunities that exist versus earlier eras. Specifically, in comparison to the era during Dillett’s prime.

The word that Paul Dillett keeps coming back to in the conversation is “special.” He believes that today’s athletes aren’t regarded as special as they once were. He details his time guest posing and making public appearances. He states that there is far less guest posing in general compared to earlier eras.

Dillett used to get so many offers for guest posing – that he had to turn some down and choose specifically which countries and locations he would prefer. He recalls doing more than one guest posing per day over the weekends and then following up with multiple days of guest posing back to back through the week.

Paul Dillett speaks directly on this during our conversation:

“THERE’S NO GUEST POSING ANYMORE RIGHT? I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF THERE IS BUT… I MEAN, I USED TO – I PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH SHOW I WANTED TO GUEST POSE FOR, WHO I WANTED TO GUEST POSE FOR, WHAT COUNTRY I WANTED TO BE IN. IT’S NOT LIKE THAT TODAY. WELL, BECAUSE NUMBER ONE – I TELL PEOPLE BODYBUILDING IS DEAD. BODYBUILDING ISN’T WHAT IT USED TO BE.”

This seems to be less about criticizing today’s physiques and more about criticizing how the sport works. This isn’t even a slam on the leagues. Instead, it seems like a product of the times and technology changing. With so much information being available online and on social media – the demand is being met every single hour of the day. This waters the entire sport down.

Certainly there are new opportunities made available due to social media. We’ve covered the various ways bodybuilders have found financial success without even having to step on the stage. But what Dillett seems to be lamenting here is a loss of a “special” quality. Where are the Lebrone Jameses and Michael Jordans of the sport? Where’s the Michael Jackson of bodybuilding today?

Perhaps it’s just a different kind of fame and popularity. Perhaps simply Paul Dillett isn’t seeing it himself first hand. Regardless, as far as Paul Dillett is concerned, the bodybuilding he knew is dead. He has no qualms making that statement. The bigger question is whether or not today’s generation of fans and athletes agree.

https://youtu.be/TjJQiFS2lM8

It's mostly do to what fitness has transition into with so much spinoffs to fitness, people can easily be distracted by other fads are types of training like cross fit that occupy the whole scenery.
Before all of this is was simply just weight training, aerobics and of course body building that had WOW factor to it.. Now people see so many thing that appeal attractive to them, it covers BBing up a bit, people only know about BBing by what they are lucky enough to see, or people they associate with.

You have some hot chicks showing off their ass on Instagram making more then most bodybuilders.

If the money isn’t their, the talent dries up. And the fan base dies off. Fact.

When I was young, I wanted to look like Arnold and the rest. I was interested in what they said, did and wrote.

Today? Their physiques are awful with bloated guys.

Young guys today don’t want to look like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have some hot chicks showing off their ass on Instagram making more then most bodybuilders.

If the money isn’t their, the talent dries up. And the fan base dies off. Fact.

When I was young, I wanted to look like Arnold and the rest. I was interested in what they said, did and wrote.

Today? Their physiques are awful with bloated guys.

Young guys today don’t want to look like that...

these trends are watering it down.. these public figures are killing it.. all these mock versions of this workout or that workout, it floods the view and bbing gets tossed in the back.. When CrossFit started to really become a known thing to those that had no clue, it took away from bbing, because people looked ordinary and could relate more, rather than having that wow factor.. people flocked to what looks like they can do it, compared to a real test of character. Plus all these fitness programs made for soccer moms, meal prep video's, all this shit.. I mean, good for people for being healthy, I love it, but it comes with a price, only 1 thing can be on top, one thing at a time, and body building attracts the minority.. Do the math :(

A few things

Today's bodybuilders look like shit and no one can relate to that look.

No personality whatsoever with these clowns.

Whats the first thing you see Sunday morning in pregame shows before football starts? Personal stories about the players, teams or town they play in.

It's not just the sport but story around or behind the scenes that draw interest.

A few things

Today's bodybuilders look like shit and no one can relate to that look.

No personality whatsoever with these clowns.

Whats the first thing you see Sunday morning in pregame shows before football starts? Personal stories about the players, teams or town they play in.

It's not just the sport but story around or behind the scenes that draw interest.

In other words that was more or less but I was trying to get at.. people cannot identify, and people can relate to other aspects of training and fitness with everything that flood social media, the content that people share on their social media platforms with their daily updates, every Karen and Ken posting pictures of what they're eating or a reflection in the mirror from the gym. It's more mundane, ordinary and people are able to relate to it. Whenever I show big Ramy, even two guys that are gym rats they are left in awe like WTF? For myself I absolutely love it, but the reality is it's so unrealistic and it's not attracting anyone.

It's different but not dead and saying they all look like shit really there's plenty of guy's that look great if you think Brandon looks bad then I guess will agree to disagree

Bodybuilding is gayer than ever. There’s guys look weird, they’re too big, make little cash and are hurting themselves long term. They’re a circus side show imo.

Side note: Thankfully we still live in a free country that they can exist with out governments interaction busting them for drug use

Bodybuilding is gayer than ever. There’s guys look weird, they’re too big, make little cash and are hurting themselves long term. They’re a circus side show imo.

Side note: Thankfully we still live in a free country that they can exist with out governments interaction busting them for drug use

Totally.

Idk anyone who wants to look like today’s Mr Olympia.

I like the way you think.

Its too freak show for me.

Nothing will ever beat the physiques from the golden era, im sorry but those guys looked great were in better health and condition then todays athletes its unreal how much it has changed, I would much rather look like almost anyone from the 70's or featured in pumping iron over today's bodybuilders.

I agree for the most part... but if still enjoy walking around like Seth Feroce. And he’s got a great personality, I think. If I was into gay bodybuilding I would totally crush on the dude.

haha

I competed from 83 to 94...one difference I notice is the lack of local meets...in ohio there would be at least 1 meet a month...mr ohio was in June...mr youngstown was in August...mr toledo (glass city) was in July...mr akron was in July...mr cleveland was in September/October...I would see many of the same guys at these meets...there was a kind of comraderie...posters were up in all the gyms letting guys know when the meets were being held...times have changed...

I competed from 83 to 94...one difference I notice is the lack of local meets...in ohio there would be at least 1 meet a month...mr ohio was in June...mr youngstown was in August...mr toledo (glass city) was in July...mr akron was in July...mr cleveland was in September/October...I would see many of the same guys at these meets...there was a kind of comraderie...posters were up in all the gyms letting guys know when the meets were being held...times have changed...
awesome to know. and you have a point there, I heard about this as well, guys were more inclined to keep others updated with posters, not to be funny the same with with wrestling matches as well for some that did wrestling in the off season. I recall in my area when I was young, we had a few that advertised this way.

My humble and non-important opinion, is that the sport today has been too over saturated with gear abuse. As it has been stated, the men AND women that are pro’s today are all just freakshows and DONT look good, or have anything appealing to the general public/fans. Additionally, and this has just been my personal experience, the sport is full of these egotistical, overconfident fuckbags and bitches, people that think that because they have muscle that they are “warriors” and fitness Gods. The general attitude is that they are better than everyone else. And just FORGET about having a normal conversation with someone while they are on prep. It has become the acceptable thing for these people to just become total pricks to EVERYONE while they are prepping for a show. People have forgotten how to just be decent human beings and that attitude has personally kept me from stepping on stage.

I agree. Men's physique now has guys almost twice the size of Classic physique competitors from a couple of years ago. It's crazy how big they're getting.

Just ask the general public.

You will get the answer.

Or hell, go talk to chicks in a bar. Way, way different compared to what guys here think.

The IFBB will always be driven by bodybuilding.

Not Classic, not physique, not bikini, not figure, wellness or any of the other classes.

If you go to an IFBB show and you're not going to cheer on a friend, 95% of the time you're going to see the open and 212 bodybuilding.

Nobody is interested at looking at the same 40 physiques come across the stage in board shorts.

They want to see major differences in size, structure and symmetry that come with bodybuilding.

The npc on the other hand lives on the "easier" classes because, they're easier which means, more people THINK they can be successful in those classes.

Bodybuilding isn't dead though. It's just as niche as it has always been but, it's taking longer for the talent to get to the size needed to be competitive and, they're using the smaller classes to do this over time

Get Shredded!
The IFBB will always be driven by bodybuilding.

Not Classic, not physique, not bikini, not figure, wellness or any of the other classes.

If you go to an IFBB show and you're not going to cheer on a friend, 95% of the time you're going to see the open and 212 bodybuilding.

Nobody is interested at looking at the same 40 physiques come across the stage in board shorts.

They want to see major differences in size, structure and symmetry that come with bodybuilding.

The npc on the other hand lives on the "easier" classes because, they're easier which means, more people THINK they can be successful in those classes.

Bodybuilding isn't dead though. It's just as niche as it has always been but, it's taking longer for the talent to get to the size needed to be competitive and, they're using the smaller classes to do this over time

Not disagreeing with you but another example of what made bodybuilding popular was Arnold.

The man was a walking, talking story that everyone liked.

And to this day he looks waaaay better than the freaks you see now.

Men admired him and women wanted to be with him.

A personality you felt like you could sit down and have a beer with.

Not some guy with traps up to his ears with veins popping out of his forehead looking like some Neanderthal that can do little more than grunt or use single syllable words.

Nothing and I mean nothing about this sport is approachable to the general population.

Not disagreeing with you but another example of what made bodybuilding popular was Arnold.

Not some guy with traps up to his ears with veins popping out of his forehead looking like some Neanderthal that can do little more than grunt or use single syllable words.

Nothing and I mean nothing about this sport is approachable to the general population.

Well that's just a thing, there's motherfuckers that just don't give a shit what other people think and they're not trying to make friends, all they're trying to do is get their food in, train, spend time with their family if they have it and sleep, and repeat the next day. Listen I get what you're saying.
3 years ago what I was a bit excessive there was an old man that turned around to me in line in Walmart and he said to my wife as he was pointing at me "I want him on my team", then his buddy walk by and he tapped his buddy and pointed back at me and said that he wants me on their team. The first thing I thought about and joked up my wife was that it was something sexual HA.
But he was just being playful, he didn't have a team he was using that as a reference. He wouldn't say that to me now because I look like shit/feel like dog shit.

the majority of bodybuilders that I know, have a very small circle, they're set in their ways and they don't want to be fucked with.
I get what you're saying. That goes back to my post above how people can actually relate, or at least it's realistic..
People have a preconceived notion about bodybuilders.
And there's two gorillas that I know personally that are actually really quiet dudes but I often wonder if they have something wrong with them that they've never told me.
But either way they don't care and they love what they do like seriously.

No, open bodybuilding isn't appealing to the masses but, being appealing isn't what drives ticket sales to the IFBB.

People go to a UFC fight in hopes of a spectacular knockout, not two guys laying on each other for three rounds.

Same with bodybuilding. People go to see the freaks. Without the freaks you don't have an audience other then friends and family.

Arnold was kind of a prick in the 70’s too tho.

he is most def a blown wad nowadays ...

No, open bodybuilding isn't appealing to the masses but, being appealing isn't what drives ticket sales to the IFBB.

People go to a UFC fight in hopes of a spectacular knockout, not two guys laying on each other for three rounds.

Same with bodybuilding. People go to see the freaks. Without the freaks you don't have an audience other then friends and family.

What are the comparative TV ratings between the two?

No comparison.

What are the comparative TV ratings between the two?

No comparison.
What Monty is saying with a comparison, people want to see the freaks at the end, the same for the UFC the majority of people don't want to sit through the preliminaries, and for the average fan that has no fight experience or fight IQ, they couldn't understand the chess match on the ground and naturally people would much rather see two contender swinging for the fences. Basically fuck all the chowder and potatoes in between what's the end result with the freaks.

And you can't compare the both with ratings on TV, one is admiring a statue, and the other is the thrill of watching competitors put everything on the line with greater stakes, the drama and shift with the motions is much more dramatic.

Back