ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,628 Posts
    Rep Points

Bodybuilding Is Dead

Bodybuilding Is Dead

Paul Dillett shares some stories from his bodybuilding past and explains why he thinks bodybuilding today is dead.

There’s nothing new about comparing today’s bodybuilding to eras past. But during our conversation with Paul Dillett, he highlighted a comparison in a different way than purely on the quality of physiques. He looked at the sport as a whole. The celebrity status of top athletes, the physiques, the revenue – all of it. In our latest GI Exclusvie interview, Paul Dillett explains why he thinks bodybuilding today is dead.

Paul Dillett makes one thing clear during our conversation about bodybuilding today – he strongly believes there are talented hard working bodybuilders on stage today. That being said, he also believes that in spite of that, the sport itself is not the same as it used to be.

Surprisingly, his statements don’t focus on the physiques of bodybuilders today. Instead, it focuses on the overall reaction to athletes and the business opportunities that exist versus earlier eras. Specifically, in comparison to the era during Dillett’s prime.

The word that Paul Dillett keeps coming back to in the conversation is “special.” He believes that today’s athletes aren’t regarded as special as they once were. He details his time guest posing and making public appearances. He states that there is far less guest posing in general compared to earlier eras.

Dillett used to get so many offers for guest posing – that he had to turn some down and choose specifically which countries and locations he would prefer. He recalls doing more than one guest posing per day over the weekends and then following up with multiple days of guest posing back to back through the week.

Paul Dillett speaks directly on this during our conversation:

“THERE’S NO GUEST POSING ANYMORE RIGHT? I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF THERE IS BUT… I MEAN, I USED TO – I PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH SHOW I WANTED TO GUEST POSE FOR, WHO I WANTED TO GUEST POSE FOR, WHAT COUNTRY I WANTED TO BE IN. IT’S NOT LIKE THAT TODAY. WELL, BECAUSE NUMBER ONE – I TELL PEOPLE BODYBUILDING IS DEAD. BODYBUILDING ISN’T WHAT IT USED TO BE.”

This seems to be less about criticizing today’s physiques and more about criticizing how the sport works. This isn’t even a slam on the leagues. Instead, it seems like a product of the times and technology changing. With so much information being available online and on social media – the demand is being met every single hour of the day. This waters the entire sport down.

Certainly there are new opportunities made available due to social media. We’ve covered the various ways bodybuilders have found financial success without even having to step on the stage. But what Dillett seems to be lamenting here is a loss of a “special” quality. Where are the Lebrone Jameses and Michael Jordans of the sport? Where’s the Michael Jackson of bodybuilding today?

Perhaps it’s just a different kind of fame and popularity. Perhaps simply Paul Dillett isn’t seeing it himself first hand. Regardless, as far as Paul Dillett is concerned, the bodybuilding he knew is dead. He has no qualms making that statement. The bigger question is whether or not today’s generation of fans and athletes agree.

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

HOT BABES GALLERY

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,540 Posts
    Rep Points

It's mostly do to what fitness has transition into with so much spinoffs to fitness, people can easily be distracted by other fads are types of training like cross fit that occupy the whole scenery.
    Before all of this is was simply just weight training, aerobics and of course body building that had WOW factor to it.. Now people see so many thing that appeal attractive to them, it covers BBing up a bit, people only know about BBing by what they are lucky enough to see, or people they associate with.

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,348 Posts
    Rep Points

You have some hot chicks showing off their ass on Instagram making more then most bodybuilders.

If the money isn’t their, the talent dries up. And the fan base dies off. Fact.

When I was young, I wanted to look like Arnold and the rest. I was interested in what they said, did and wrote.

Today? Their physiques are awful with bloated guys.

Young guys today don’t want to look like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,540 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post
    You have some hot chicks showing off their ass on Instagram making more then most bodybuilders.

If the money isn’t their, the talent dries up. And the fan base dies off. Fact.

When I was young, I wanted to look like Arnold and the rest. I was interested in what they said, did and wrote.

Today? Their physiques are awful with bloated guys.

Young guys today don’t want to look like that...

these trends are watering it down.. these public figures are killing it.. all these mock versions of this workout or that workout, it floods the view and bbing gets tossed in the back.. When CrossFit started to really become a known thing to those that had no clue, it took away from bbing, because people looked ordinary and could relate more, rather than having that wow factor.. people flocked to what looks like they can do it, compared to a real test of character. Plus all these fitness programs made for soccer moms, meal prep video's, all this shit.. I mean, good for people for being healthy, I love it, but it comes with a price, only 1 thing can be on top, one thing at a time, and body building attracts the minority.. Do the math

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,950 Posts
    Rep Points

A few things

Today's bodybuilders look like shit and no one can relate to that look.

No personality whatsoever with these clowns.

Whats the first thing you see Sunday morning in pregame shows before football starts? Personal stories about the players, teams or town they play in.

It's not just the sport but story around or behind the scenes that draw interest.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,540 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Foursome View Post
    A few things

Today's bodybuilders look like shit and no one can relate to that look.

No personality whatsoever with these clowns.

Whats the first thing you see Sunday morning in pregame shows before football starts? Personal stories about the players, teams or town they play in.

It's not just the sport but story around or behind the scenes that draw interest.
    In other words that was more or less but I was trying to get at.. people cannot identify, and people can relate to other aspects of training and fitness with everything that flood social media, the content that people share on their social media platforms with their daily updates, every Karen and Ken posting pictures of what they're eating or a reflection in the mirror from the gym. It's more mundane, ordinary and people are able to relate to it. Whenever I show big Ramy, even two guys that are gym rats they are left in awe like WTF? For myself I absolutely love it, but the reality is it's so unrealistic and it's not attracting anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Rep Points

It's different but not dead and saying they all look like shit really there's plenty of guy's that look great if you think Brandon looks bad then I guess will agree to disagree

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,584 Posts
    Rep Points

Bodybuilding is gayer than ever. There’s guys look weird, they’re too big, make little cash and are hurting themselves long term. They’re a circus side show imo.

Side note: Thankfully we still live in a free country that they can exist with out governments interaction busting them for drug use

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points

This m!

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,348 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HFO3 View Post
    Bodybuilding is gayer than ever. There’s guys look weird, they’re too big, make little cash and are hurting themselves long term. They’re a circus side show imo.

Side note: Thankfully we still live in a free country that they can exist with out governments interaction busting them for drug use

Totally.

Idk anyone who wants to look like today’s Mr Olympia.

Arnold
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,628 Posts
    Rep Points

On another note Paul Dillet is a shadow of his former self.
    PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

HOT BABES GALLERY

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,950 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HFO3 View Post

I like the way you think.

Its too freak show for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Foursome View Post
    I like the way you think.

Its too freak show for me.
    I agree. Men's physique now has guys almost twice the size of Classic physique competitors from a couple of years ago. It's crazy how big they're getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Rep Points

Nothing will ever beat the physiques from the golden era, im sorry but those guys looked great were in better health and condition then todays athletes its unreal how much it has changed, I would much rather look like almost anyone from the 70's or featured in pumping iron over today's bodybuilders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,228 Posts
    Rep Points

I agree for the most part... but if still enjoy walking around like Seth Feroce. And he’s got a great personality, I think. If I was into gay bodybuilding I would totally crush on the dude.

haha