• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Questions about the choice of the syringe filter

vanadium

Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hi, I sometime prepare steroid solution (10 ml vials) but I have a problem concerning the syringe filter.

I presently use whatman .45 um (diameter 25 mm) PVDF syringe filter but there are too slow in my opinion and PVDF membrane are know to not be really fast.

I would like to use .22 um to have a sterile filtrate, so because of the slow PVDF filters I tried the Nylon and PES. I read on a forum that Nylon are perfect for steroid solution and much faster than PVDF but Nylon is an Hydrophobic membrane and I don't understand why they use Nylon for non-polar liquid. So I bought .22 um 25mm diameter Nylon filter (from ebay, not whatman) and tested it... Results : impossible to filter ! 10x slower than .45 PVDF filter.

As I've also bought PES filter from the same seller I could filter a sample with this one. Results : a little better than nylon but still very sloooow :(

My questions are :

1) Is it necessairy to have a .22 um to have a sterile solution or the .45 gives acceptable results concerning the dangers of bacteria ? I would point out that I heat the solution at 100°C before for most type of steroid.

2) Which membrane are the best for a steroid based solution ? PVDF, Nylon, PES? Whant about PTFE and other membranes such as glass fiber ?

3) Why my filtration is soooo slow ? Because of the .22 um instead of .45 um ? or the use of other type of membrane ? or the non-whatman filter are poor quality ?

4) Did you experience many differences between whatman filter and other cheaper filters ?

5) what is the quickest membrane ?

6) What about the quality of filtration of the vacuum filtration all in one unity. I used PES membrane. At first it was good, but I let it overnight with vacuum and the next day I could see some part of the membrane has been dissolved in the solution :paddle: . I threw all the product. Poor quality. Maybe you know better membrane for sterile unity because it needs less work.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Have a nice day

Vanadium

1) necessary.. Hmmm.. No, not really. We used to use a .45 all the time with finaplix conversions. A .22 is a smaller micron filter and will filter more minute particles and is required by National pharmacopoeia (not sure if the international is the same) in the filtration methods to depyrogenate injectable medicines

2) now here is where you will find many differences of opinions. - .22 micron PVDF Millipore filters - Many guys have also moved away from syringe filters to cup/vacuum type filter systems.

3) The filtering is always going to be slower in a .22 filter than a .45, It's a smaller membrane your filtering through. As for the clogging

4) if you buy knock off type filters, then your going to get what you pay for.. I wouldn't trust them..Have you seen what an abcess can do?? Trust the tried and true names. Whatman isn't just the only one.

5) You should not be looking for the quickest, but the best for what your filtering.

6)As I've mentioned.. Many people have moved on to the vacuum filtering with great success. As for your melting.. That comes from what your using as a carrier and chemicals used in your process.. EO will melt rubber and also some membranes in the filters. EO came from one day we looked at the carrier in Virormone test prop and noticed that was the carrier and most people that have used this test prop have always loved it. So we thought why not use it in other conversions. It was then we also found that it will melt most common septums (the rubber piece in the top of the multi-use vial) used in the bottling process. Which is why you will only see the virormone testosterone in an amp form. Not in a multi-use vial.
It's also why I don't use it any longer.

You have mentioning clogging.. This could be from the quality of powders.. Back before 2006 or 05, There used to be only a couple of steroid factories in china where most of the "home Brewers" were getting the powders from. These companies produced high quality powders that filtered so nicely. These days, there are more and more factories that produce powders and really don't have the same quality of standards when producing them. So more contaminates are in the powders. Hence having to use several filters, when one should suffice.

Special carriers and chemical additives take special needs in filtration -
also the thickness or viscosity of your carrier plays a role in the quickness of your filtering process. But that is a duel edge sword.. The thinner the oil/carrier, the less it will hold the steroid in solution. The thicker, the more readily it will hold .. There was one guy out there that made a superoil - it was thick as hell, but worked holding mostly everything.. (no special chemicals) You just needed a 23g pin at best to used it.

Last edited:
If your filtering less than 100ml Millapore makes a .22 um filter with a 33mm diameter vs whatmans 25

1) necessary.. Hmmm.. No, not really. We used to use a .45 all the time with finaplix conversions. A .22 is a smaller micron filter and will filter more minute particles and is required by National pharmacopoeia (not sure if the international is the same) in the filtration methods to depyrogenate injectable medicines

2) now here is where you will find many differences of opinions. - .22 micron PVDF Millipore filters - Many guys have also moved away from syringe filters to cup/vacuum type filter systems.

3) The filtering is always going to be slower in a .22 filter than a .45, It's a smaller membrane your filtering through. As for the clogging

4) if you buy knock off type filters, then your going to get what you pay for.. I wouldn't trust them..Have you seen what an abcess can do?? Trust the tried and true names. Whatman isn't just the only one.

5) You should not be looking for the quickest, but the best for what your filtering.

6)As I've mentioned.. Many people have moved on to the vacuum filtering with great success. As for your melting.. That comes from what your using as a carrier and chemicals used in your process.. EO will melt rubber and also some membranes in the filters. EO came from one day we looked at the carrier in Virormone test prop and noticed that was the carrier and most people that have used this test prop have always loved it. So we thought why not use it in other conversions. It was then we also found that it will melt most common septums (the rubber piece in the top of the multi-use vial) used in the bottling process. Which is why you will only see the virormone testosterone in an amp form. Not in a multi-use vial.

You have mentioning clogging.. This could be from the quality of powders.. Back before 2006 or 05, There used to be only a couple of steroid factories in china where most of the "home Brewers" were getting the powders from. These companies produced high quality powders that filtered so nicely. These days, there are more and more factories that produce powders and really don't have the same quality of standards when producing them. So more contaminates are in the powders. Hence having to use several filters, when one should suffice.

also the thickness or viscosity of your carrier plays a role in the quickness of your filtering process. But that is a duel edge sword.. The thinner the oil/carrier, the less it will hold the steroid in solution. The thicker, the more readily it will hold .. There was one guy out there that made a superoil - it was thick as hell, but worked holding mostly everything.. (no special chemicals) You just needed a 23g pin at best to used it.

You honestly aren't going to get a better answer than this. This is basskiller we're talking about here... come correct!

I honestly use .45s and I've never had an issue. Just make sure you are using sterile procedures.

Basskiller,

I have used a Peristaltic Pump with a PTFE Whatman 0.2 micron Capsule filter in the past. It seemed to work great with crystal clear home brew... Will the PTFE filter be ok with BB, BA and hormone or should I have been using a PVDF filter? What is the difference between PTFE and PVDF?

BTW what is EO?... I never have used it making brew.

Sorry for all the question.

Slim

In doing my research on finding the right syringe filter membranes,PTFE comes 1st for withstanding the general chemicals used to homebrew. Next would be PVDF. I looked through whatman and other catalogs to see which membranes can withstand B.A./B.B.&temps

Back