• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Fear of getting injured again is really holding me back

TwoDollarTacos

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anyone here suffer an injury that they recovered from but the mental aspect of that injury never got better?

Short backstory, I tore my lat back in 2018 deadlifting. Yesterday was a back session for me with deadlifts involved. I'm currently on cycle and worked my way up to deadlifting 405 for a set of 6. I knew I could add more weight to the bar but the fear of getting hurt again took over. I couldn't shake it. Even during my set I kept saying in my head "don't get hurt, don't get hurt." All day today this shit has been bothering me that I didn't go heavier. I almost feel like it was a bad workout just because of that set. Anyone have any advice on overcoming this type of stuff?

Yup.

everytime I lift. Just focus on form until you get comfortable again. And when you do push heavy weight make sure you are still focusing on form.

also, take 10 minutes before you begin to stretch good and get the blood flowing.

but yeah, it’s always in the back of my mind soon as I step in the gym. Turn it into a good thing!

Yup.

everytime I lift. Just focus on form until you get comfortable again. And when you do push heavy weight make sure you are still focusing on form.

also, take 10 minutes before you begin to stretch good and get the blood flowing.

but yeah, it’s always in the back of my mind soon as I step in the gym. Turn it into a good thing!

Agree with MK. Total concentration and all the precautionary stuff you do. I had a similar problem with Olympic Deadlifting after having a injury 2x! Stopped me in my tracks for 6 weeks as far as training, but the mental aspect lasted....it still a concern! I use the best form possible too, but...I literally lost that concentration for a millisecond and my low back rounded . Boom ! Over. I am not paranoid anymore, I just do everything possible to lift smart and that is all you can do!

Max

Adapt to a new style of training, create the intensity you’re seeking with volume and time under tension instead of adding more weight.

Im certain 405 is more than enough weight to achieve tour goals

Injuries suck so listen to your body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up the term “fear avoidance” and how to beat it.

This is what you are suffering from...

I dont go heavy on legs any more due to having double knee replacement back in 2018. i do train legs but not with heavy weight, I usually go slow to get a good burn & do reps in the 15 to 20 range. I do believe I could go heavier but in my head I think about everything I went thru,

I dont go heavy on legs any more due to having double knee replacement back in 2018. i do train legs but not with heavy weight, I usually go slow to get a good burn & do reps in the 15 to 20 range. I do believe I could go heavier but in my head I think about everything I went thru,

I’d say that is pretty smart.

Integrity of your knees aren’t the same...

I have a few injuries that have gotten worse over the years from heavy lifting back in the day. Mainly back and shoulders.

Like already mentioned... lift lighter, focus on form and time under tension. No more ego lifting is best. I’m doing 50% less weight and still growing! Your muscles don’t know how much weight is on the bar.

Tore left quad, left bicep two months later and the right bicep two months after that, it comes to mind occasionally when training but I've fallen off ladders before and I don't think to run up one. Be smart but not indecisive

Yeah good idea. I wouldn’t want to risk that too.

IML Gear Cream!
Tore left quad, left bicep two months later and the right bicep two months after that, it comes to mind occasionally when training but I've fallen off ladders before and I don't think to run up one. Be smart but not indecisive

Damn that sucks. How many times you fallen off ladders? In my head it sounded like a lot.

Back