• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Carb intake... How do you time yours?

Twk303

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How do you time your carbs in the day? I typically eat 5 solid meals with counting breakfast and bedtime meals and 8 total meals a day.

I'm wondering how I can maximize my carb intake for each meal. Can I toss a carb drink in with my workouts? I'm not burnt out or losing steam while working out, I'm just looking to look Full.
Currently sitting at 40/50 Oz of carbs per daytime MEAL but possibly upping them to 60/70 for atleast 2 of the meals which would be before workouts.

Anyone feel sluggish when upping carbs or see the benefits?

Thanks Fellas

How do you time your carbs in the day? I typically eat 5 solid meals with counting breakfast and bedtime meals and 8 total meals a day.

I'm wondering how I can maximize my carb intake for each meal. Can I toss a carb drink in with my workouts? I'm not burnt out or losing steam while working out, I'm just looking to look Full.
Currently sitting at 40/50 Oz of carbs per daytime MEAL but possibly upping them to 60/70 for atleast 2 of the meals which would be before workouts.

Anyone feel sluggish when upping carbs or see the benefits?

Thanks Fellas

I have roughly 60 carbs per meal, I eat 45min pre workout, and use Carb Gain by NOW at 90g intra workout with creatine, and 60g carb gain post workout..

Carb gain is flavorless and I mix it with Gatorade powder to add a little bit it sodium.. I also carry around a bag of tortilla's and pull one out here and there and just roll it up and eat it with a few swigs of water..

This will sound old fashioned but it has worked for me for years...first, I lift early in the morning on an empty stomach...anaerobic exercise uses sugar for fuel...by the end of my workout I have exhausted my blood sugar and stored sugar reserves...then I do my aerobic stuff like stationary bike pedaling for 30 minutes...this will cause my body to burn fat for fuel...for breakfast I will have eggs...no carbs...this causes my body to continue to burn fat for fuel as my metabolism is running on "high"...carbs and protein are then eaten throughout the day to replenish sugar reserves...I have stayed lean for 40 years training this way...at 61 my bf is around 10-12%...again, it is o!d fashioned...

This will sound old fashioned but it has worked for me for years...first, I lift early in the morning on an empty stomach...anaerobic exercise uses sugar for fuel...by the end of my workout I have exhausted my blood sugar and stored sugar reserves...then I do my aerobic stuff like stationary bike pedaling for 30 minutes...this will cause my body to burn fat for fuel...for breakfast I will have eggs...no carbs...this causes my body to continue to burn fat for fuel as my metabolism is running on "high"...carbs and protein are then eaten throughout the day to replenish sugar reserves...I have stayed lean for 40 years training this way...at 61 my bf is around 10-12%...again, it is o!d fashioned...
Old fashion or just works LOL. There no substitute for experience

UNCLE Z REP
WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

ORDERS@UNCLEZ.RU FOR ORDER QUESTIONS

PM FOR ALL OTHER HELP

I get too sick if I don’t eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have to drink coffee or something to wake up

I have my biggest carb meal post workout and always make sure I have at least 2 meals with some carbs earlier in the day before I train.

I have my biggest carb meal post workout and always make sure I have at least 2 meals with some carbs earlier in the day before I train.

That's pretty much where I'm at the majority of my carbs are pre and post and that's really all that matters most. And depending on the day I will occasionally have some carbs in one of my meals earlier.. but the majority of my schedule even on off days I don't have much or any tailoring into the latter hours of my day.. it's more animal protein and greens.. and just a shitload of fillers..

IML Gear Cream!
I keep all meals atleast 2 hours away from training. If I train first thing in the morning I’ll have 13 haribo gummy bears on the way to the gym and sip on EAA and coconut water through my workout. I don’t like any food on my stomach. You don’t need more 20-40 fast acting carbs for a workout

You don't need carbs pre-workout if you're eating enough carbs throughout the day.

Also most people don't eat carbs early enough before going to thy gym. You need about 90 minutes. ( You don't want fast acting carbs either, that's better for post)

You don't want an insulin spike while training. It will reduce intensity by reducing dopamine levels which will reduce neural drive.

Intra-workouts carbs are good when steadily drank through the workout to keep the liver from having to work too hard by giving it a constant fuel source. You don't shoot it all at once.

Other than that, you biggest carb meals can be post, and before bed.

I get too sick if I don’t eat

This is a sign (a sign can also mean nothing) that your liver isn't healthy enough to regulate blood sugar.

You probably aren't doing enough metabolic work to tax your liver to allow it to produce more mitochondria so it can handle the load you're asking it to.

You don't need carbs pre-workout if you're eating enough carbs throughout the day.

Also most people don't eat carbs early enough before going to thy gym. You need about 90 minutes. ( You don't want fast acting carbs either, that's better for post)

You don't want an insulin spike while training. It will reduce intensity by reducing dopamine levels which will reduce neural drive.

Intra-workouts carbs are good when steadily drank through the workout to keep the liver from having to work too hard by giving it a constant fuel source. You don't shoot it all at once.

Other than that, you biggest carb meals can be post, and before bed.
I do fine with fast acting carbs only preworkout. How fast do you think they digest?

I do fine with fast acting carbs only preworkout. How fast do you think they digest?

Doing fine does not equate to doing what’s best. You’ll still lose out on intensity by dopamine reduction. It also highly depends on how you train. Some training phases get by easier than others when you account for these things.

Slower carbs 2 hours before training, fast acting after training. If you’re searching for more optimization.

Doing fine does not equate to doing what’s best. You’ll still lose out on intensity by dopamine reduction. It also highly depends on how you train. Some training phases get by easier than others when you account for these things.

Slower carbs 2 hours before training, fast acting after training. If you’re searching for more optimization.
well my intensity doesn’t suffer. I’m doing a John Meadows routine 6 days a week so higher volume with intensity. I’m also on a deficit. I’m getting stronger and can keep going so incredible might be a better word. It works great. How fast do you think your body burns through carbs while lifting? I’ve done it all and this is what works best for me. Don’t really care about anything except what works best. Other than the gummy bears preworkout my only carb source is fruit.

I tried training and doing my cardio in am fasted for a few weeks. All that seemed reasonable was getter stronger and losing weight, In a deficit of calories. Then decided to try work out in afternoon and keep cardio fasted. My pumps were better and felt stronger in the gym. I was def moving more weight around. I have been spacing a majority of my carbs evenly throughout the day. My pwo meal, I would have increased the number of carbs and last meal before bed no carbs. After another week or so, I'll switch it again and see what happens.

I have roughly 60 carbs per meal, I eat 45min pre workout, and use Carb Gain by NOW at 90g intra workout with creatine, and 60g carb gain post workout..

Carb gain is flavorless and I mix it with Gatorade powder to add a little bit it sodium.. I also carry around a bag of tortilla's and pull one out here and there and just roll it up and eat it with a few swigs of water..

I haven't tried an intra workout drink yet. I need to look into trying one and see how it helps me out. I usually just knockback two shakers full of water.

carbs are such a broad spectrum, if you are feeling hypo during workout then you probably arent eating enough in general or havent eaten within 2 hours of workout. your liver will release glucose during exercise it may not be enough so if your feeling hypo I would say that is more related to meal timing vs workout timing

Get Shredded!
well my intensity doesn’t suffer. I’m doing a John Meadows routine 6 days a week so higher volume with intensity. I’m also on a deficit. I’m getting stronger and can keep going so incredible might be a better word. It works great. How fast do you think your body burns through carbs while lifting? I’ve done it all and this is what works best for me. Don’t really care about anything except what works best. Other than the gummy bears preworkout my only carb source is fruit.

Well the thing is, you’d do better on slower carbs.

You’re arguing against physiology. Not me. Insulin spikes affect dopamine levels. Dopamine affects the nervous system. While it’s cool to debate things, this isn’t something you can debate. This is why high level power lifters take dopamine enhancing drugs before meets.

Now what you could debate is how much of a difference does the change from person to person. But at the end of the day, optimal is still optimal.

Could also start getting into the liver part of this as well.

Also, 6 days a week high volume AND high intensity? I don’t want to offend you. But I don’t believe that. The body could maybe handle that 2 weeks tops before you started hitting some hard diminishing returns and negative side effects.

Assuming our definition of intensity and volume is the same. They’re probably not.

Well the thing is, you’d do better on slower carbs.

You’re arguing against physiology. Not me. Insulin spikes affect dopamine levels. Dopamine affects the nervous system. While it’s cool to debate things, this isn’t something you can debate. This is why high level power lifters take dopamine enhancing drugs before meets.

Now what you could debate is how much of a difference does the change from person to person. But at the end of the day, optimal is still optimal.

Could also start getting into the liver part of this as well.

Also, 6 days a week high volume AND high intensity? I don’t want to offend you. But I don’t believe that. The body could maybe handle that 2 weeks tops before you started hitting some hard diminishing returns and negative side effects.

Assuming our definition of intensity and volume is the same. They’re probably not.
There’s no debate really. I’ve tried everything and this is what works best for me. My routine is John Meadows onslaught on week 8 cals at 2000 a day. The rotund is literally a higher volume, frequency routine with lots of intensity days 6 days per week. I don’t care what a study says if it works in the real world per the individual is all that matters. What do you wanna say about the liver? Fructose from fruit? Fruit isn’t just fructose and it’s not all the same. This is the diet I got from Phil Hernon a few years ago. I DO NOT perform better on slower carbs, that is what I did for years until I decided to say screw what’s popular and try something different. I DO BETER, BEST on what I’m doing now. You don’t know anything I don’t know tbh. I also have to be very careful about what I eat I have Crohns.

Last edited:
This whole carb intake has taken a turn for the worst and there's a lot of good information with good intention but it is not a cookie cutter one size for all, because certain diets and certain protocols will require different types of carbohydrates that are on the glycanic scale, it's all about timing..
not all carbohydrates are created equal and not all of them need to fit in a perfect window like everyone else.. depending on your goal whether you're doing a recomp, whether you're cutting down, whether you're gaining weight everything is going to be timed differently especially if you're doing cardio 5 days a week or two days a week, because that alone will also induce a State of nutrition partitioning along with tools that are using and everything will be shuttled into particular areas where they are needed most... we can't just eat a cookie cutter type carbohydrate and expect the same results for everyone, carbs will change whether it is rice post or pre-workout or if it's a carbohydrate supplement intra workout, or if it's a Pop-Tart pre-workout or gummy bears post workout.. the timing will vary depending on the goal depending on the cardio and depending on the diet..
.there is no simple formula that carbs has to be taking this way and this is a type of carbs because that is absolutely bullshit and if anybody believes that then keep doing it and continually look the same and don't make any fucking changes..
.your body will respond differently with a different macros and nutrition when they are given at the appropriate time, it's all about timing your macros switching things up, switching up your types of carbohydrates and so on.. if this doesn't make any sense for you I would forget about reading and I would hire a coach and they'll explain everything to you... Don't just eat carbohydrates because one person told you you have to.. some people are intentionally trying to keep the furnace going and they're trying to utilize a state of thermogenesis by burning adipose tissue, only later on to incorporate a modest amount of carbohydrates pre-workout and post-workout.. and this will change also in several weeks to keep the metabolism guessing...

if I seen the same person running the same intake with carbohydrates year-round I would stay away from any advice that individual gave you.. there's going to be adjustments and needed to be made, sometimes it's not going to be in your favor and you may not like it but it's going to change the sensitivities and how you respond with nutrition partitioning especially under the present of fasted cardio in the a.m. come for the rest of the day your body will partition nutrition in the pro for your areas and it will be utilized and ways that you have never imagined before... This whole bullshit eating carbs and protein and high calories and lifting heavy weights is some fat boy bullshit.. you'll probably look good with a shirt on but take your shirt off and you look like holy hell.. I much smaller than I used to be with a shirt on but I changed my apparel and it fits me perfect and complements me, I do miss filling out sleeves but we'll get to that point but just not right now.. you have to make adjustments.. that's why some boxers stay away from speed bags or heavy bags for a while and the only work on head movement then they switch it up and they work on foot movement you have to fine tune everything in order to integrate and put everything together at the right time and right place... This is an art, when you're not machines that you shovel nutrition down your throat expecting to get these results because you're only going to be disappointed in the end questioning why you went wrong... Know how to time your macros and know when to adjust them and when to switch them around to different times of the day rather than keeping everything the same ordinary mundane diet although still using the same ordinary boring foods...

I haven't tried an intra workout drink yet. I need to look into trying one and see how it helps me out. I usually just knockback two shakers full of water.

remember if you do the intro it's something you don't want to do for a long duration because it can affect your insulin sensitivity. All of these adjustments need to be made just like we change up our routines.. shock value shock value shock value.. if everything worked by sticking to one simple protocol that's a cookie cutter there would be no theories and explanations for all sorts of other things.. and I'll make it very unpopular statement, a lot of these theories and other protocols actually work but just for other people find out what works best for you..

Very good read on carbs! Utilizing type/timing along with regimen can be confusing and journaling shows a lot.

Max

Very good read on carbs! Utilizing type/timing along with regimen can be confusing and journaling shows a lot.

Max

It's the truth because the metabolism is changing throughout the day especially digestion, blood sugar levels and if and when we need a particular nutrient at a certain time. it's too easy to assume that we can just eat chicken and rice or fish and potatoes when everyone every 2 hours.. when is factors times we have to skip the carbs entirely and just eat animal beef whether it's whitefish, shrimp beef, ground turkey, or any other animal protein or even whey protein for that matter with pineapples and blueberries... And then there's appropriate window to add carbohydrates on a different glycemic scale because of the very important of why we need them to be bioavailable immediately

It's the truth because the metabolism is changing throughout the day especially digestion, blood sugar levels and if and when we need a particular nutrient at a certain time. it's too easy to assume that we can just eat chicken and rice or fish and potatoes when everyone every 2 hours.. when is factors times we have to skip the carbs entirely and just eat animal beef whether it's whitefish, shrimp beef, ground turkey, or any other animal protein or even whey protein for that matter with pineapples and blueberries... And then there's appropriate window to add carbohydrates on a different glycemic scale because of the very important of why we need them to be bioavailable immediately

Speaking my language my friend! Glycemic index is something I use with diabetics for a while. Also how sugar alcohols affect us and non diabetics. Even diet , 0 calorie drinks. Fascinating! A glucometer and knowledge helps a ton; especially for diabetic bodybuilders.

Max

The Glycemic Index really only applies if you’re eating the carbs by themselves. Adding fats or protein slows down the digestion. All carbs are converted to glucose. All carbs are 4 cals per gram. A calorie is simply a unit of energy.

remember if you do the intro it's something you don't want to do for a long duration because it can affect your insulin sensitivity. All of these adjustments need to be made just like we change up our routines.. shock value shock value shock value.. if everything worked by sticking to one simple protocol that's a cookie cutter there would be no theories and explanations for all sorts of other things.. and I'll make it very unpopular statement, a lot of these theories and other protocols actually work but just for other people find out what works best for you..
But the thing is the basics do work and extremely well if done consistently for a long time.

Back