Uncle Z


Tabata vs HIIT: Which Offers More Results?

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    samgraves82's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,978

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,020
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,683
    Thanked in
    1,939 Posts
    Rep Points
    43961150

    Tabata vs HIIT: Which Offers More Results?

    https://www.issaonline.com/blog/inde...s-more-results
    Exercise is important for every individual. The*physical and mental benefits*of being active for a minimum of 30 minutes a day are well researched and documented. A workout routine helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, aids in weight loss, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, and supplies endorphins, which elevate mood.

    Thirty minutes a day is the general physicianís recommendation and, for some, that may be all the time they have in a day to dedicate to their fitness. Shorter workout sessions mean you must increase the intensity to increase the calories burned! The rising popularity of fast, intense, calorie-scorching training like high intensity interval training (HIIT) and Tabata training keeps these short sessions engaging and fun with the added benefit of increasing program adherence and, if done properly, results!

    Tabata Training and HIIT Ė Whatís the Deal?

    Both of these training styles burn a high number of calories and both are technically a form of high intensity interval training. However, they differ slightly in how they are performed and we will explore each next.

    Interval training at maximal or near maximal effort and VO2max (the number that correlates to oxygen uptake and aerobic capacity in the body) has been shown to increase epinephrine and norepinephrine. Both of these hormones lead to enhanced lipolysis during activity, which translates to fat breakdown. The duration post-workout that the increased calorie burn and fat lipolysis occur is highly debated. Some research shows the effects of a high intensity workout extend to just the hour post-workout, while others attribute the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) to increasing the effects for 24-36 hours post=workout.*

    Keep in mind how we gauge the intensity of intervals. VO2max can actually be measured as can the heart rate as a percentage of someoneís maximum heart rate. The rate of perceived exertion (RPE) is a subjective scale based on the immediate feedback of the exerciser and how they feel with 1 being minimal effort and 10 being maximal effort. Either way, the results are clear: the higher the intensity, the better the results!*

    Tabata Training

    Dr. Izumi Tabata is credited with developing Tabata training in 1996. Along with his team at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, he tested and perfected the timing and required intensity needed to be highly effective in just 4 minutes of training.

    The timing of Tabata consists of eight rounds of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. The same movement is repeated for all eight consecutive rounds. Research conducted by Tabata and his team determined these shorter intervals with shorter rest created a large VO2max increase and a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity. Hereís the catch: With Tabata training, the intervals need to be performed at about 170% of VO2max to be more effective than moderate intensity interval training. Thus, these circuits are referred to as exhaustive intermittent training!

    Check out the study and results for yourself:*Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

    Weights were not tested with the Tabata training, although many trainers use a large variety of cardio*and*strength training movements. Dr. Tabata also concluded that the use of treadmills is not the most effective for Tabata training as the speed changes with the belt often take too long and jumping on and off the belt does not allow time for proper form during such a short interval.

    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

    There is much debate over when interval training was*originally introduced. One thing generally agreed upon is that it came about in the early 1900s with athletes who excelled in running.*

    With runners, the high intensity interval training involved maximal sprints for 100-200 yards followed by rest of either a specific distance or until a desired level of recovery was achieved. Rounds of activity were completed between 10 and 50 times in a row. The increase in VO2max was noted with interval training and the original athletes who used it for race training.

    As the popularity of these short intervals has grown, HIIT intervals are being completed as cardio and as strength training exercise with the goal of elevating the heart rate to 80-100% of VO2max and recovering after each round. Recovery can be a full heart rate recovery (30-45% of max) or as low as 70-85% of the max heart rate prior to beginning the next interval.

    The work to rest ratio can vary with HIIT training as well. A 1:1, 1:2, up to 1:10 is used depending on the amount of recovery desired.

    Many popular gyms offer heart rate based training classes founded on the principle of HIIT intervals. They utilize heart rate monitoring systems to ensure the participants are exerting the correct amount of strain while receiving the correct amount of recovery. However, the research is not clear as to the effectiveness of HIIT training for cardiovascular benefits over moderate intensity or steady state cardio.

    Be informed! Read about this study*here!

    So, What Really Is the Difference?

    The proof is in the research! Check out both research articles. The major difference between Tabata and HIIT is the length and intensity of the intervals. True Tabata training requires a crazy amount of effort to reach maximal exhaustion in a short 4 minutes. HIIT training is more flexible.

    Many people make*simple mistakes*when using tabata training. Again, while weights were not originally tested, the addition of resistance to certain exercises with Tabata like a kettlebell swing or a squat will increase the intensity by challenging the muscle more. Cardio training with tabata is generally not done on a treadmill, but with the use of demanding cardiovascular movements like mountain climbers and jump ropes.

    If it is outside of the 20/10 work to rest ratio and below the required intensity level for tabata, it can be referred to as HIIT. The flexibility of the interval length and number of rounds makes this type of training easier to incorporate into a workout or as an effective finisher to a workout 2-3 times a week. Proper recovery is always needed after high intensity workouts, so more than 2-3 sessions per week is overkill.*

    Another benefit to HIIT training is the ability to do both cardio and strength training intervals effectively. A client with a goal of gaining muscle can still use HIIT, increase their heart rate enough to promote fat burning, but without the risk of compromising the muscle tissue they already have.*

    The Bottom Line

    Both of these methods are fun, short, intense, and useful. This informative ISSA blog post discusses the*benefits of higher intensity workouts*over long duration. The hormonal and cardio impact of both methods is thought to increase calorie burn and promote fat loss. The key to weight loss, in the end, is a deficit of calories. The key to muscle growth is challenging to failure. Both can be achieved with high intensity interval training!

    As a trainer, the more effective you can be at getting your clients to blast calories in a shorter amount of time, the more engaged and compliant they will be. Give them both a try! Teach your clients about the benefits of both and see which one meets their needs and abilities. Then, its time to light it on fire with some high intensity efforts.




    UNCLE Z REP
    WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

    ORDERS@UNCLEZ.RU FOR ORDER QUESTIONS

    PM FOR ALL OTHER HELP

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    maxmuscle1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,413

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,640
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,922
    Thanked in
    6,781 Posts
    Rep Points
    628105407

    Go Fat Loss! Cardio can be done sooo many ways; even with heavy weights! Luv it!!

    Max

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    samgraves82's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,978

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,020
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,683
    Thanked in
    1,939 Posts
    Rep Points
    43961150

    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    Go Fat Loss! Cardio can be done sooo many ways; even with heavy weights! Luv it!!

    Max
    Hate it!!

    UNCLE Z REP
    WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

    ORDERS@UNCLEZ.RU FOR ORDER QUESTIONS

    PM FOR ALL OTHER HELP

  4. #4
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP

    XOTG85's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7,660

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,944
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,970
    Thanked in
    1,381 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    I do row machine for 80% of my cardio. The other 20% is uphill fast pace on a treadmill.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    maxmuscle1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,413

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,640
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,922
    Thanked in
    6,781 Posts
    Rep Points
    628105407

    Quote Originally Posted by XOTG85 View Post
    I do row machine for 80% of my cardio. The other 20% is uphill fast pace on a treadmill.
    Quote Originally Posted by XOTG85 View Post
    I do row machine for 80% of my cardio. The other 20% is uphill fast pace on a treadmill.
    My Brother just got the Concept 2 Rower! Bastard!! I really wanted it but; I am holding out until I burn out this treadmill and using the funds for my Powerblocks and Accessories (when available)**. Bad ass cardio and actually gives you some killer muscles that; if lean enough you notice some deep cuts! I did it exclusively for 2 months and literally had tissue skin bf levels. Really tough stuff!

    Max

  6. #6
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP

    XOTG85's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7,660

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,944
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,970
    Thanked in
    1,381 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    My Brother just got the Concept 2 Rower! Bastard!! I really wanted it but; I am holding out until I burn out this treadmill and using the funds for my Powerblocks and Accessories (when available)**. Bad ass cardio and actually gives you some killer muscles that; if lean enough you notice some deep cuts! I did it exclusively for 2 months and literally had tissue skin bf levels. Really tough stuff!

    Max
    Bro I did it for monthís on end back in 2010-2014 and I was ripped the fuck up. Iím buying a concept rower for me and the wife for Christmas. Thatís literally all we want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    maxmuscle1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,413

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,640
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,922
    Thanked in
    6,781 Posts
    Rep Points
    628105407

    Quote Originally Posted by XOTG85 View Post
    Bro I did it for monthís on end back in 2010-2014 and I was ripped the fuck up. Iím buying a concept rower for me and the wife for Christmas. Thatís literally all we want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So awesome! It is like a club! Like the Jeep Club!

    Max

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    hospitalhuge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    172

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    218
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    104
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Rep Points
    7463003

    Quote Originally Posted by samgraves82 View Post
    https://www.issaonline.com/blog/inde...s-more-results
    Exercise is important for every individual. The*physical and mental benefits*of being active for a minimum of 30 minutes a day are well researched and documented. A workout routine helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, aids in weight loss, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, and supplies endorphins, which elevate mood.

    Thirty minutes a day is the general physicianís recommendation and, for some, that may be all the time they have in a day to dedicate to their fitness. Shorter workout sessions mean you must increase the intensity to increase the calories burned! The rising popularity of fast, intense, calorie-scorching training like high intensity interval training (HIIT) and Tabata training keeps these short sessions engaging and fun with the added benefit of increasing program adherence and, if done properly, results!

    Tabata Training and HIIT Ė Whatís the Deal?

    Both of these training styles burn a high number of calories and both are technically a form of high intensity interval training. However, they differ slightly in how they are performed and we will explore each next.

    Interval training at maximal or near maximal effort and VO2max (the number that correlates to oxygen uptake and aerobic capacity in the body) has been shown to increase epinephrine and norepinephrine. Both of these hormones lead to enhanced lipolysis during activity, which translates to fat breakdown. The duration post-workout that the increased calorie burn and fat lipolysis occur is highly debated. Some research shows the effects of a high intensity workout extend to just the hour post-workout, while others attribute the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) to increasing the effects for 24-36 hours post=workout.*

    Keep in mind how we gauge the intensity of intervals. VO2max can actually be measured as can the heart rate as a percentage of someoneís maximum heart rate. The rate of perceived exertion (RPE) is a subjective scale based on the immediate feedback of the exerciser and how they feel with 1 being minimal effort and 10 being maximal effort. Either way, the results are clear: the higher the intensity, the better the results!*

    Tabata Training

    Dr. Izumi Tabata is credited with developing Tabata training in 1996. Along with his team at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, he tested and perfected the timing and required intensity needed to be highly effective in just 4 minutes of training.

    The timing of Tabata consists of eight rounds of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. The same movement is repeated for all eight consecutive rounds. Research conducted by Tabata and his team determined these shorter intervals with shorter rest created a large VO2max increase and a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity. Hereís the catch: With Tabata training, the intervals need to be performed at about 170% of VO2max to be more effective than moderate intensity interval training. Thus, these circuits are referred to as exhaustive intermittent training!

    Check out the study and results for yourself:*Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

    Weights were not tested with the Tabata training, although many trainers use a large variety of cardio*and*strength training movements. Dr. Tabata also concluded that the use of treadmills is not the most effective for Tabata training as the speed changes with the belt often take too long and jumping on and off the belt does not allow time for proper form during such a short interval.

    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

    There is much debate over when interval training was*originally introduced. One thing generally agreed upon is that it came about in the early 1900s with athletes who excelled in running.*

    With runners, the high intensity interval training involved maximal sprints for 100-200 yards followed by rest of either a specific distance or until a desired level of recovery was achieved. Rounds of activity were completed between 10 and 50 times in a row. The increase in VO2max was noted with interval training and the original athletes who used it for race training.

    As the popularity of these short intervals has grown, HIIT intervals are being completed as cardio and as strength training exercise with the goal of elevating the heart rate to 80-100% of VO2max and recovering after each round. Recovery can be a full heart rate recovery (30-45% of max) or as low as 70-85% of the max heart rate prior to beginning the next interval.

    The work to rest ratio can vary with HIIT training as well. A 1:1, 1:2, up to 1:10 is used depending on the amount of recovery desired.

    Many popular gyms offer heart rate based training classes founded on the principle of HIIT intervals. They utilize heart rate monitoring systems to ensure the participants are exerting the correct amount of strain while receiving the correct amount of recovery. However, the research is not clear as to the effectiveness of HIIT training for cardiovascular benefits over moderate intensity or steady state cardio.

    Be informed! Read about this study*here!

    So, What Really Is the Difference?

    The proof is in the research! Check out both research articles. The major difference between Tabata and HIIT is the length and intensity of the intervals. True Tabata training requires a crazy amount of effort to reach maximal exhaustion in a short 4 minutes. HIIT training is more flexible.

    Many people make*simple mistakes*when using tabata training. Again, while weights were not originally tested, the addition of resistance to certain exercises with Tabata like a kettlebell swing or a squat will increase the intensity by challenging the muscle more. Cardio training with tabata is generally not done on a treadmill, but with the use of demanding cardiovascular movements like mountain climbers and jump ropes.

    If it is outside of the 20/10 work to rest ratio and below the required intensity level for tabata, it can be referred to as HIIT. The flexibility of the interval length and number of rounds makes this type of training easier to incorporate into a workout or as an effective finisher to a workout 2-3 times a week. Proper recovery is always needed after high intensity workouts, so more than 2-3 sessions per week is overkill.*

    Another benefit to HIIT training is the ability to do both cardio and strength training intervals effectively. A client with a goal of gaining muscle can still use HIIT, increase their heart rate enough to promote fat burning, but without the risk of compromising the muscle tissue they already have.*

    The Bottom Line

    Both of these methods are fun, short, intense, and useful. This informative ISSA blog post discusses the*benefits of higher intensity workouts*over long duration. The hormonal and cardio impact of both methods is thought to increase calorie burn and promote fat loss. The key to weight loss, in the end, is a deficit of calories. The key to muscle growth is challenging to failure. Both can be achieved with high intensity interval training!

    As a trainer, the more effective you can be at getting your clients to blast calories in a shorter amount of time, the more engaged and compliant they will be. Give them both a try! Teach your clients about the benefits of both and see which one meets their needs and abilities. Then, its time to light it on fire with some high intensity efforts.




    UNCLE Z REP
    WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

    ORDERS@UNCLEZ.RU FOR ORDER QUESTIONS

    PM FOR ALL OTHER HELP
    Sex.

    Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM
  2. Everyone Should Do This Type of HIIT
    By The Admin in forum Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM
  3. Hiit
    By joos23 in forum Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM
  4. Tabata weight lifting routine
    By Quest in forum Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM
  5. HIIT sessions
    By nuttz51 in forum Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2020 Anabolic Steroid Discussion Forums