Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I would like a nap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Rep Points

For you what does "to failure" mean?

First off, I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm an extreme/endurance athlete. With that said, I'm super interested in what you qualify as training "to failure." I only do bench press/incline bench and military press, for legs squats and sometimes deadlifts. Basically I do compound lifts to failure, which in my book looks like a couple times a week I do sets of each of these until I can't lift -20% of max for eight reps. Example: lets say Tuesday and Friday I do shoulder press starting off at 75lbs. I add 10lbs up to my max of 115lbs. This takes four sets, so then I do sets of 8-12 reps of 115lbs for lets say 11 sets before I have to take 10lbs off to make 8 reps... follow me? When I can't do 85lbs for 8 reps I'm at "failure." Usually takes about 15 sets.

SO what's "to failure" mean for you?

Stats:
    53 years old
    6'1"
    205 lbs
    ~10.5% BF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,411 Posts
    Rep Points

Pure Pain and lasts quite long. Rarely do it, but sometimes for getting stats for my 1RM I do it.

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,409 Posts
    Rep Points

Canít push it off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Rep Points

Going to the point of needing a spotter, but not asking for one.... and failing. This is where a solid workout partner is golden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Rep Points

I view failure as the inability to do one more rep with the weight I'm working with. I leave complete mechanical failure to movements that aren't as dangerous when performed to failure...not squats, BB presses, etc. Only things I can either drop or bring back to the starting position without hurting myself. Machine work or things I can rack very easily like a Smith machine movement. Otherwise you're asking to get hurt.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,007 Posts
    Rep Points

there are different types of failur

technical failur: not being able to perform a single additional rep with a correct execution.

failur with the same weight: not being able to perform a single more rep, with the same weight, not even with cheat or involving other muscles.

failur with dropping weight: like the previous one, but on failure with cheat etc, weight is removed and continues until the next failur, weight is removed and so on until you have no more weight to remove and not even be able to move the air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,411 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicChicken View Post
    I view failure as the inability to do one more rep with the weight I'm working with. I leave complete mechanical failure to movements that aren't as dangerous when performed to failure...not squats, BB presses, etc. Only things I can either drop or bring back to the starting position without hurting myself. Machine work or things I can rack very easily like a Smith machine movement. Otherwise you're asking to get hurt.
    So true. I have to have shutdown!! Drop sets down the rack were the last time I have gone to that point. I was doing curls to preachers to 2.5lb hand weights and literally could not curl. It was not a fun next 5 days. Yes! 5 DAYS!!

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Rep Points

For me its when I cant hold my form properly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    So true. I have to have shutdown!! Drop sets down the rack were the last time I have gone to that point. I was doing curls to preachers to 2.5lb hand weights and literally could not curl. It was not a fun next 5 days. Yes! 5 DAYS!!

Max
    Ha yep. I love drop sets and cluster sets. A good 50 reps as quick as you can get them with a weight you can do about 12-15 with is great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,411 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicChicken View Post
    Ha yep. I love drop sets and cluster sets. A good 50 reps as quick as you can get them with a weight you can do about 12-15 with is great
    PAIN !! Love it! Especially doing all this band and bodyweight stuff I average 500 total reps daily! Not for long ! Lol

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    PAIN !! Love it! Especially doing all this band and bodyweight stuff I average 500 total reps daily! Not for long ! Lol

Max
    Max when you do bands like that to failure are you going to failure once a day or multiple?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,411 Posts
    Rep Points

For you what does "to failure" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
    Max when you do bands like that to failure are you going to failure once a day or multiple?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I rarely go to failure. It is more like if I get near failure with bands; I break; then restart quick as possible until I hit my rep goal
    Example: 100 reps- sometimes I can do 100 in a row ; some exercises take 12 continuous sets.

As for true failure- I do it rarely and only if I am trying to spur new growth because I am plateaued. If you do 1,000 total body reps over and over; your body will adapt and growth is inhibited. IN MY CASE. So, it is rare. Once a month if that. I will do anything from 3 reps to 1,000 as along as it works.

Max

I would like a nap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks guys, pretty much what I was hoping to hear; different reps and techniques all ending up in the same place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    883 Posts
    Rep Points

The simple definition of "training to failure" is referring to the degree to which you push an individual set. It's basically performing repetitions until you can no longer complete a full range of motion while maintaining good form. Once you break the good form to force another rep or two, you are now training beyond failure.

Training to failure is very effective for strength and size but is very draining and limits the intensity (and frequency) you can put into the rest of your workout. But as Max said, works great for busting through a plateau on a lift as you will upregulate you CNS for more strength and/or build a tiny bit more muscle fiber, both of which can kickstart your gaining for another few weeks before having to revert back to training to failure once again.

I would like a nap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonCoagulator View Post
    Training to failure is very effective for strength and size but is very draining and limits the intensity (and frequency) you can put into the rest of your workout. But as Max said, works great for busting through a plateau on a lift as you will upregulate you CNS for more strength and/or build a tiny bit more muscle fiber, both of which can kickstart your gaining for another few weeks before having to revert back to training to failure once again.
    Really? I kinda feel like the compounds come into play and with faster recovery times and more efficient protein synthesis I can push longer, harder, and more frequently. But then again, I'm a "over-train" kind of asshole.