• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

For you what does "to failure" mean?

Flipper

I would like a nap.
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
First off, I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm an extreme/endurance athlete. With that said, I'm super interested in what you qualify as training "to failure." I only do bench press/incline bench and military press, for legs squats and sometimes deadlifts. Basically I do compound lifts to failure, which in my book looks like a couple times a week I do sets of each of these until I can't lift -20% of max for eight reps. Example: lets say Tuesday and Friday I do shoulder press starting off at 75lbs. I add 10lbs up to my max of 115lbs. This takes four sets, so then I do sets of 8-12 reps of 115lbs for lets say 11 sets before I have to take 10lbs off to make 8 reps... follow me? When I can't do 85lbs for 8 reps I'm at "failure." Usually takes about 15 sets.

SO what's "to failure" mean for you?

Stats:
53 years old
6'1"
205 lbs
~10.5% BF

Pure Pain and lasts quite long. Rarely do it, but sometimes for getting stats for my 1RM I do it.

Max

Can’t push it off

Going to the point of needing a spotter, but not asking for one.... and failing. This is where a solid workout partner is golden.

I view failure as the inability to do one more rep with the weight I'm working with. I leave complete mechanical failure to movements that aren't as dangerous when performed to failure...not squats, BB presses, etc. Only things I can either drop or bring back to the starting position without hurting myself. Machine work or things I can rack very easily like a Smith machine movement. Otherwise you're asking to get hurt.

there are different types of failur

technical failur: not being able to perform a single additional rep with a correct execution.

failur with the same weight: not being able to perform a single more rep, with the same weight, not even with cheat or involving other muscles.

failur with dropping weight: like the previous one, but on failure with cheat etc, weight is removed and continues until the next failur, weight is removed and so on until you have no more weight to remove and not even be able to move the air.

I view failure as the inability to do one more rep with the weight I'm working with. I leave complete mechanical failure to movements that aren't as dangerous when performed to failure...not squats, BB presses, etc. Only things I can either drop or bring back to the starting position without hurting myself. Machine work or things I can rack very easily like a Smith machine movement. Otherwise you're asking to get hurt.

So true. I have to have shutdown!! Drop sets down the rack were the last time I have gone to that point. I was doing curls to preachers to 2.5lb hand weights and literally could not curl. It was not a fun next 5 days. Yes! 5 DAYS!!

Max

So true. I have to have shutdown!! Drop sets down the rack were the last time I have gone to that point. I was doing curls to preachers to 2.5lb hand weights and literally could not curl. It was not a fun next 5 days. Yes! 5 DAYS!!

Max
Ha yep. I love drop sets and cluster sets. A good 50 reps as quick as you can get them with a weight you can do about 12-15 with is great

Ha yep. I love drop sets and cluster sets. A good 50 reps as quick as you can get them with a weight you can do about 12-15 with is great

PAIN !! Love it! Especially doing all this band and bodyweight stuff I average 500 total reps daily! Not for long ! Lol

Max

IML Gear Cream!
PAIN !! Love it! Especially doing all this band and bodyweight stuff I average 500 total reps daily! Not for long ! Lol

Max
Max when you do bands like that to failure are you going to failure once a day or multiple?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For you what does "to failure" mean?

Max when you do bands like that to failure are you going to failure once a day or multiple?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I rarely go to failure. It is more like if I get near failure with bands; I break; then restart quick as possible until I hit my rep goal
Example: 100 reps- sometimes I can do 100 in a row ; some exercises take 12 continuous sets.

As for true failure- I do it rarely and only if I am trying to spur new growth because I am plateaued. If you do 1,000 total body reps over and over; your body will adapt and growth is inhibited. IN MY CASE. So, it is rare. Once a month if that. I will do anything from 3 reps to 1,000 as along as it works.

Max

Thanks guys, pretty much what I was hoping to hear; different reps and techniques all ending up in the same place.

The simple definition of "training to failure" is referring to the degree to which you push an individual set. It's basically performing repetitions until you can no longer complete a full range of motion while maintaining good form. Once you break the good form to force another rep or two, you are now training beyond failure.

Training to failure is very effective for strength and size but is very draining and limits the intensity (and frequency) you can put into the rest of your workout. But as Max said, works great for busting through a plateau on a lift as you will upregulate you CNS for more strength and/or build a tiny bit more muscle fiber, both of which can kickstart your gaining for another few weeks before having to revert back to training to failure once again.

Training to failure is very effective for strength and size but is very draining and limits the intensity (and frequency) you can put into the rest of your workout. But as Max said, works great for busting through a plateau on a lift as you will upregulate you CNS for more strength and/or build a tiny bit more muscle fiber, both of which can kickstart your gaining for another few weeks before having to revert back to training to failure once again.

Really? I kinda feel like the compounds come into play and with faster recovery times and more efficient protein synthesis I can push longer, harder, and more frequently. But then again, I'm a "over-train" kind of asshole.

Doing till failure works best for me with machines. To me is defined by having at least 3 attempts/pumps after your last full rep.

Really? I kinda feel like the compounds come into play and with faster recovery times and more efficient protein synthesis I can push longer, harder, and more frequently. But then again, I'm a "over-train" kind of asshole.

You definitely can, but your CNS will still take a hit as gear does little for CNS recovery, but it does sorta keep you amped up to push through fatigue, especially tren. It really just depends on the overall volume of your training week, your off days, rest, calories, etc. Someone like Dorian Yates really limited his volume (compared to other pros) because of how intensely he trained.

Last edited:
failure to me has variables. Absolute failure would depend on having a training partner or someone to assist.
Without a partner, it’s still variable.
It could be simple as “Do as many straight, clean reps with X weight as possible.”
To me, it can go as far as “Do that, then do as many partials as you can.”
And from there “Do as many partials as you can, drop the weight, and repeat, then continue to drop the weight, and repeat until you literally cant move the muscle.”

Add a partner and get even crazier by adding forced reps at the end of each set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For myself it depends on the movement.. Failure to me is when I begin to compromise my form, once I'm no longer maintaining proper form, I'm at failure, even if I "think" I have 1-2 reps left, I can get them on the next set.
Now, this is where instinctive training comes in.. Only certain movements I will continue even if my form begins to compromise, example, reverse flies on incline bench, even if I can't complete the full range I will continue even if I can only separate them by a few inches, keeping that continuous TUT, same with side lateral raises on the seated machine and so on..

For myself it depends on the movement.. Failure to me is when I begin to compromise my form, once I'm no longer maintaining proper form, I'm at failure, even if I "think" I have 1-2 reps left, I can get them on the next set.
Now, this is where instinctive training comes in.. Only certain movements I will continue even if my form begins to compromise, example, reverse flies on incline bench, even if I can't complete the full range I will continue even if I can only separate them by a few inches, keeping that continuous TUT, same with side lateral raises on the seated machine and so on..

^this
Totally Agree

Get Shredded!
I usually go until i pass out face first onto the floor every other set. Somedays my training partner has to drag me around the gym if i land to hard

I usually go until i pass out face first onto the floor every other set. Somedays my training partner has to drag me around the gym if i land to hard

It’s the only time failure can be measured as success!

IIRC Flipper, you train alone. So failure would be either not being able to lift the weight anymore or as stated, needing a spotter but not asking for one. I think I train to "failure" on the latter principle. You are old so fucking up by pushing yourself beyond a reasonable level at your home gym, alone, isn't very bright.
Even taking a chance at a big wave you know you maybe shouldn't, you still know that one of the other guys in the line up might be able to help you. At a home gym in the middle of nowhere...not so much.

I really wish I knew more about training as it might apply to surfers. Especially over-the-hill ones.

For me it's just before my form starts getting ugly. Try to keep my workout Endurance up there

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back