Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Rep Points

Email Security

Guys, seems I need to spell this out as I'm kinda tired of this type of thing.

You're email security (ie password) is your business and cannot be blamed on me. If you get phished that's on you.

Please protect your passwords, don't click on links within emails that ask you to sign in again or if you do click the link don't sign in. That is how you get phished.

It's rather obvious when I only have 2 email accounts which you can always verify with ldog to make sure you're actually talking to me.

There are also simple ways to see the actual address anything is being sent from and it should be obvious that it's nonsense no matter how legit it looks at first glance.

Neither proton or tutanota ever ask you to click a link and sign in again.

Again, if someone gets your password that is not my fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Rep Points

probably reverse scamming

how is someone so stupid to get email hacked lol

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuildinggain View Post
    probably reverse scamming

how is someone so stupid to get email hacked lol
    I don't think they're reverse scamming for the most part although I had one about a year ago that was but it was obvious.

Proton and tutanota both do their best but both get plenty of phishing emails come through telling you your account will get shut down if you don't click the link so people click the link and sign in or some variation on that and there you go. As soon as you click the link and sign in they have your password. They typically then send a separate email from something close to mine and request payment in bitcoin only and won't budge on that so now you are communicating with them and not me. I assume they also delete emails from me from your account but I don't know 100% about that part.

If you look at the actual email address rather than just the header on these type of emails you'll see it's obviously a fake email address.

The Video Guy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gear church View Post
    Guys, seems I need to spell this out as I'm kinda tired of this type of thing.

You're email security (ie password) is your business and cannot be blamed on me. If you get phished that's on you.

Please protect your passwords, don't click on links within emails that ask you to sign in again or if you do click the link don't sign in. That is how you get phished.

It's rather obvious when I only have 2 email accounts which you can always verify with ldog to make sure you're actually talking to me.

There are also simple ways to see the actual address anything is being sent from and it should be obvious that it's nonsense no matter how legit it looks at first glance.

Neither proton or tutanota ever ask you to click a link and sign in again.

Again, if someone gets your password that is not my fault.
    As much as I hate any source..... this man is 100% correct! Guard your passwords and donít click on any links in your inbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Rep Points

The other moronic part of this is that when you do click on a link in Protonmail, it pops up and says "This is taking you to an external source, are you sure?".

People are fucking idiots. Let's also add to the fact that there is no website to visit, so what the fuck are you clicking a link in the first place for?

Hang in there GC!
    Last edited by CSOReaper; 08-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Pain is Pleasure
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Rep Points

Be smart and pay attention like I stated in the other thread.

- - - Updated - - -

we love you even though you hate us

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty-Mouse View Post
    As much as I hate any source..... this man is 100% correct! Guard your passwords and donít click on any links in your inbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gear church View Post
    I don't think they're reverse scamming for the most part although I had one about a year ago that was but it was obvious.

Proton and tutanota both do their best but both get plenty of phishing emails come through telling you your account will get shut down if you don't click the link so people click the link and sign in or some variation on that and there you go. As soon as you click the link and sign in they have your password. They typically then send a separate email from something close to mine and request payment in bitcoin only and won't budge on that so now you are communicating with them and not me. I assume they also delete emails from me from your account but I don't know 100% about that part.

If you look at the actual email address rather than just the header on these type of emails you'll see it's obviously a fake email address.
    I get one of these phishing emails about once a month. Never click......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Rep Points

Good thread..... some folks just need to be reminded to not be stupid. That unfortunately doesn't come naturally for everyone.