Gear Church


Email Security

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Email Security

  1. #1
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP

    gear church's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Posts
    282

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    121
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    436
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Rep Points
    754331901

    Email Security

    Guys, seems I need to spell this out as I'm kinda tired of this type of thing.


    You're email security (ie password) is your business and cannot be blamed on me. If you get phished that's on you.

    Please protect your passwords, don't click on links within emails that ask you to sign in again or if you do click the link don't sign in. That is how you get phished.

    It's rather obvious when I only have 2 email accounts which you can always verify with ldog to make sure you're actually talking to me.

    There are also simple ways to see the actual address anything is being sent from and it should be obvious that it's nonsense no matter how legit it looks at first glance.

    Neither proton or tutanota ever ask you to click a link and sign in again.

    Again, if someone gets your password that is not my fault.

  2. #2
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    130

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    112
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    86
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Rep Points
    1400100

    probably reverse scamming

    how is someone so stupid to get email hacked lol

  3. #3
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP

    gear church's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Posts
    282

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    121
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    436
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Rep Points
    754331901

    Quote Originally Posted by bodybuildinggain View Post
    probably reverse scamming

    how is someone so stupid to get email hacked lol
    I don't think they're reverse scamming for the most part although I had one about a year ago that was but it was obvious.

    Proton and tutanota both do their best but both get plenty of phishing emails come through telling you your account will get shut down if you don't click the link so people click the link and sign in or some variation on that and there you go. As soon as you click the link and sign in they have your password. They typically then send a separate email from something close to mine and request payment in bitcoin only and won't budge on that so now you are communicating with them and not me. I assume they also delete emails from me from your account but I don't know 100% about that part.



    If you look at the actual email address rather than just the header on these type of emails you'll see it's obviously a fake email address.

  4. #4
    The Video Guy

    Mighty-Mouse's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    In my wife's purse
    Posts
    8,179

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    822
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,528
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by gear church View Post
    Guys, seems I need to spell this out as I'm kinda tired of this type of thing.


    You're email security (ie password) is your business and cannot be blamed on me. If you get phished that's on you.

    Please protect your passwords, don't click on links within emails that ask you to sign in again or if you do click the link don't sign in. That is how you get phished.

    It's rather obvious when I only have 2 email accounts which you can always verify with ldog to make sure you're actually talking to me.

    There are also simple ways to see the actual address anything is being sent from and it should be obvious that it's nonsense no matter how legit it looks at first glance.

    Neither proton or tutanota ever ask you to click a link and sign in again.

    Again, if someone gets your password that is not my fault.
    As much as I hate any source..... this man is 100% correct! Guard your passwords and donít click on any links in your inbox!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    CSOReaper's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,164

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    373
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Rep Points
    1430768067

    The other moronic part of this is that when you do click on a link in Protonmail, it pops up and says "This is taking you to an external source, are you sure?".

    People are fucking idiots. Let's also add to the fact that there is no website to visit, so what the fuck are you clicking a link in the first place for?

    Hang in there GC!
    Last edited by CSOReaper; 08-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Pain is Pleasure
    BOARD REP

    ldog's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    12,193

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,198
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,334
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Be smart and pay attention like I stated in the other thread.

    - - - Updated - - -

    we love you even though you hate us

    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty-Mouse View Post
    As much as I hate any source..... this man is 100% correct! Guard your passwords and donít click on any links in your inbox!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    100

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points
    460100

    Quote Originally Posted by gear church View Post
    I don't think they're reverse scamming for the most part although I had one about a year ago that was but it was obvious.

    Proton and tutanota both do their best but both get plenty of phishing emails come through telling you your account will get shut down if you don't click the link so people click the link and sign in or some variation on that and there you go. As soon as you click the link and sign in they have your password. They typically then send a separate email from something close to mine and request payment in bitcoin only and won't budge on that so now you are communicating with them and not me. I assume they also delete emails from me from your account but I don't know 100% about that part.



    If you look at the actual email address rather than just the header on these type of emails you'll see it's obviously a fake email address.
    I get one of these phishing emails about once a month. Never click......

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Altenator_6's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    220

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Rep Points
    1280100

    Good thread..... some folks just need to be reminded to not be stupid. That unfortunately doesn't come naturally for everyone.

Similar Threads

  1. Security
    By CompoundLifts31 in forum The Pit
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-19-2020, 01:39 PM
  2. VPN security
    By GrilledCheddar in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 05:27 AM
  3. email security?
    By Metalhead in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2021 Anabolic Steroid Discussion Forums