• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Reps Don't Matter

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Reps Don't Matter

Do this and you'll build muscle, regardless of the number of reps you're using.

Low Reps or High Reps? Just Go to Failure, Bro
Mechanical tension drives muscle growth. Research shows that lifting a lighter load to failure produces gains in muscle size similar to those produced by lifting a heavy load to failure.

The scientific evidence on rep ranges tells us that there's no magical rep range for maximizing muscle size. You can use both heavy, low-rep (1-5) sets along with medium-load, high-rep (15-20+) sets if you'd like.

But many people focused on building muscle are usually not interested in using weights so heavy that they can only do five or fewer reps. And that's fine. Doing some sets in the 6-8 rep range serves as a nice middle ground.

But Keep Rep Quality in Mind!
The amount of weight you're using also determines the quality of reps you're doing. If the load is too heavy, you may not be able to do good, quality reps.

That said, at any given time at any big-box gym, you'll see at least one guy doing biceps curls or shoulder raises, and he'll have to thrust his lower back into it each time he brings the weight up.

It's easy to make this mistake. After all, you're in the gym to lift weights, and everyone knows heavy loads are an effective stimulus for muscle growth, right? Well, sort of.

Training to maximize muscle isn't about becoming a "weightlifter" as many seem to think. It's about using weights as a tool to increase your muscle size. Simply throwing as much weight around as you can to impress people is an ineffective approach.

Here's what happens when you use weights that are too heavy:

• You reduce the time under (mechanical) tension because you're forced to use momentum to cheat.
  • You're unable to lower the weight slowly and with control, further reducing your time under (mechanical) tension.
  • You use more muscles, which reduces the accumulated pump (metabolic stress) in muscles you're trying to target.
Training to maximize muscle isn't just about moving the weight from one point to another, as you would when weightlifting. It's about controlling the weight through the entire range of motion.

The point of emphasis on each rep is to avoid swinging the weight up or cheating by using other parts of your body to move the load.

excellent post. this info could save some young gun aiming at those big gainzz. too much weight is asking for an injury.
and failure is less dangerous when youre failing in the lower weight range.

I used to believe that the heavier the better... but as I get older (I'm 42) I realize that quality reps are so much more valuable than just heavy sloppy ones. I've been back into the gym for about 2.5 years now (after a few year break) and these past couple years of training smart have advanced my gains way more than when I was young and dumb slinging heavy ass shit around in any way I could. Good post Admin!

I have to keep a count of my reps or i will end up going to like 100 if I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soooo 5x5 no bueno? Straight to failure is always important though

I like doing heavy sometimes, doing light with high reps other times. Some days I just rock out a lot of pushups pullups and crunches. I never stick with a structured regimen and just work out my body and eat and sleep and of course use gear. Always take most parts to failure or at least form breakdown.

Reps Don't Matter

Do this and you'll build muscle, regardless of the number of reps you're using.

Low Reps or High Reps? Just Go to Failure, Bro
Mechanical tension drives muscle growth. Research shows that lifting a lighter load to failure produces gains in muscle size similar to those produced by lifting a heavy load to failure.

The scientific evidence on rep ranges tells us that there's no magical rep range for maximizing muscle size. You can use both heavy, low-rep (1-5) sets along with medium-load, high-rep (15-20+) sets if you'd like.

But many people focused on building muscle are usually not interested in using weights so heavy that they can only do five or fewer reps. And that's fine. Doing some sets in the 6-8 rep range serves as a nice middle ground.

But Keep Rep Quality in Mind!
The amount of weight you're using also determines the quality of reps you're doing. If the load is too heavy, you may not be able to do good, quality reps.

That said, at any given time at any big-box gym, you'll see at least one guy doing biceps curls or shoulder raises, and he'll have to thrust his lower back into it each time he brings the weight up.

It's easy to make this mistake. After all, you're in the gym to lift weights, and everyone knows heavy loads are an effective stimulus for muscle growth, right? Well, sort of.

Training to maximize muscle isn't about becoming a "weightlifter" as many seem to think. It's about using weights as a tool to increase your muscle size. Simply throwing as much weight around as you can to impress people is an ineffective approach.

Here's what happens when you use weights that are too heavy:

• You reduce the time under (mechanical) tension because you're forced to use momentum to cheat.
  • You're unable to lower the weight slowly and with control, further reducing your time under (mechanical) tension.
  • You use more muscles, which reduces the accumulated pump (metabolic stress) in muscles you're trying to target.
Training to maximize muscle isn't just about moving the weight from one point to another, as you would when weightlifting. It's about controlling the weight through the entire range of motion.

The point of emphasis on each rep is to avoid swinging the weight up or cheating by using other parts of your body to move the load.
The title made me think board reps lmao

Sent from my LM-K300 using Tapatalk

love the post. i get a better everything out of the exercise im doing when lighter weight and higher reps.

IML Gear Cream!
Good read, but this part totally contradicted the title and main point on the article:

"But many people focused on building muscle are usually not interested in using weights so heavy that they can only do five or fewer reps. And that's fine. Doing some sets in the 6-8 rep range serves as a nice middle ground".

They suggest 6-8 for people focused on building size, after they just finished saying it doesn't matter the rep range you choose as long as you go to failure.

But I agree. Personally I find even as low as 3-4 reps with a heavy weight builds size if the eccentric is done very controlled like 2-3 sec down, especially with squats and weighted chin ups. I'm sure this depends on your personal fiber type distribution.

Agreed! Early 2000 I was a NASM cert trainer and people would look at me weird because I was using lighter weights, bands and using stability balls for my clients and my own training. But I was the biggest guy in the gym so I would be slanging those balls, bands and some muscle milk from the back of my truck. This was back when you couldn’t get any of those at local stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great tips admin! I used to be so focused on moving as much weight as possible back in the day and then had an injury. After I recovered I switched to worrying more about the mind muscle connection and going to failure. Man what a difference that made for my gains

Back