• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Diesel trucks

Diesel618

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anybody own one? Have any recommendations or engines to avoid? I had a first gen cummins that finally shit out a couple years ago but I never really hauled much with it I just couldnt pass it up. It was already over 500k when I bought it. But I have a friend who is gonna be needing some livestock hauled pretty regularly and so Im looking to find something.

Idk much about them tbh. Ive heard the 7.3 leaks oil. The 12 valve cummins seems to get good reviews across the board.

Anybody own one? Have any recommendations or engines to avoid? I had a first gen cummins that finally shit out a couple years ago but I never really hauled much with it I just couldnt pass it up. It was already over 500k when I bought it. But I have a friend who is gonna be needing some livestock hauled pretty regularly and so Im looking to find something.

Idk much about them tbh. Ive heard the 7.3 leaks oil. The 12 valve cummins seems to get good reviews across the board.
I now have a F-650 with a 6.0 As long as you bulletproof the heads I have had them go 300k easily and still going strong when I sold them.

The old Cummins are excellent engines as well but as with all of them they need to have something fixed to make them last. That fix is fixing the killer dowel pin from coming out and destroying your timing gears. Fix that and do reg maintenance it will run forever.

Not sure what years your looking for but I would also look for something pre emissions BS. Just something else to cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Someone say something about money pits and why you shouldn't buy one? Lol
5e95cdcdfb547f57d86101010a24341e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I plan on going with a 5.0l f150 and doing a pro charger mild upgrade to trans and a few small things in the next year maybe. I'll go back to the diesel life again one of these years.

Idk if it's still on but it made it on dyno at diesel fest in 2017 low hp at the time tho.

Also all runs have been on 37x 13.50s :/

You are talking lbft of tq right?

If I can find the snaps of that dyno day I'll post them :)

No, hp. It hit just shy of 1,155 ftlbtq

Impressive. What mods are you running?

It's crazy what engines can put out today. Bazz szzck in the days of running around in fox body mustang's and thinking 500hp was alot.

I have a old 335 diesel BMW I'm playing with now. Little over 600ftlbs at the wheels. Fun car, I can beat on it all day and still get 35mpg.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Impressive. What mods are you running?

It's crazy what engines can put out today. Bazz szzck in the days of running around in fox body mustang's and thinking 500hp was alot.

I have a old 335 diesel BMW I'm playing with now. Little over 600ftlbs at the wheels. Fun car, I can beat on it all day and still get 35mpg.

Nice! I want an old Audi diesel or 80s merc diesel to play with and DD cant find them here tho :/

Give me a bit I'll type up what its had done
Or at least the marjo changes.

I have an old 7.3 and I can’t smog it with the check engine light on, it’s been a real pain in the ass lol. Almost ready to get rid of it

I have an old 7.3 and I can’t smog it with the check engine light on, it’s been a real pain in the ass lol. Almost ready to get rid of it
I feel bad for you guys and your Cali smog checks. Only one of my diesels would pass smog. The rest are far from California compliant.

I now have a F-650 with a 6.0 As long as you bulletproof the heads I have had them go 300k easily and still going strong when I sold them.

The old Cummins are excellent engines as well but as with all of them they need to have something fixed to make them last. That fix is fixing the killer dowel pin from coming out and destroying your timing gears. Fix that and do reg maintenance it will run forever.

Not sure what years your looking for but I would also look for something pre emissions BS. Just something else to cause problems.

F650! That is a lot of damn truck!

I plan on going with a 5.0l f150 and doing a pro charger mild upgrade to trans and a few small things in the next year maybe. I'll go back to the diesel life again one of these years.

My every day driver is a 94 f150 single cab with the 5.0. I love that truck more than my dog. Ill keep that thing forever and sink however much money it takes to keep it running.

My every day driver is a 94 f150 single cab with the 5.0. I love that truck more than my dog. Ill keep that thing forever and sink however much money it takes to keep it running.
I still drive my 1st truck I bought. It's my daily and work rig
04 f150 reg cab 4.6l
Bought it in the start of 05 and havent let it go anywhere. Gonna give it to my oldest son when hes 16

Only thing I know about them is to stay away from the ford 6.0s. Know a lot of people that have had issues with them even after they "bulletproofed" them. Never owned a diesel cause I've never had the need but after my ecoboost shit the bed at 75k I've all but written off fords. Oh and my Dad's 5.0 had issues with the plugs siezing or some shit like that. They have more known issues that they as a company don't respond to and it's complete horseshit IMO. Sorry to turn this into a bash fest but that's my opinion on the matter.

Shit I switched to a Yota and so far so good. Plus I can damn near get all of my money back out of it even with 30k on it. No Diesel in that lineup though. I see a lot of good shit about the cummings engines but I'm sure they have their own issues.

Only thing I know about them is to stay away from the ford 6.0s. Know a lot of people that have had issues with them even after they "bulletproofed" them. Never owned a diesel cause I've never had the need but after my ecoboost shit the bed at 75k I've all but written off fords. Oh and my Dad's 5.0 had issues with the plugs siezing or some shit like that. They have more known issues that they as a company don't respond to and it's complete horseshit IMO. Sorry to turn this into a bash fest but that's my opinion on the matter.

Shit I switched to a Yota and so far so good. Plus I can damn near get all of my money back out of it even with 30k on it. No Diesel in that lineup though. I see a lot of good shit about the cummings engines but I'm sure they have their own issues.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Toyota trucks tbh. Ive seen a damn Tacoma pull a full size Chevy out of a mudpit. Not that it means much but a pretty odd sight to see nonetheless.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Toyota trucks tbh. Ive seen a damn Tacoma pull a full size Chevy out of a mudpit. Not that it means much but a pretty odd sight to see nonetheless.

So far so good. They aren't fancy by any means and I miss some of the features on my old King Ranch but hopefully I can drive this one into the ground like I planned to do to the Ford. My good friend has a first gen Tundra with 220k and it's perfect. They're just getting broke in at that mileage. Only time will tell. The only gripe I have right now is the suspension from the factory is setup more for comfort than towing which leads to them squatting with any sort of decent load. A $350 airbag kit fixes that problem though and it's easy to install.

I have a dodge 4x4 1500 turbo deisel that I use as my “rolling office” for work. It’s roomy and comfortable, it’s my first deisel truck, so far I like it, as a matter of fact I like it so much I drive it more than my limited expedition or any of my cars for that matter.
What did you end up getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
Can you not post vid clips on here??

Dose it have to be a gif?

So far so good. They aren't fancy by any means and I miss some of the features on my old King Ranch but hopefully I can drive this one into the ground like I planned to do to the Ford. My good friend has a first gen Tundra with 220k and it's perfect. They're just getting broke in at that mileage. Only time will tell. The only gripe I have right now is the suspension from the factory is setup more for comfort than towing which leads to them squatting with any sort of decent load. A $350 airbag kit fixes that problem though and it's easy to install.

I also own a tundra....best gas truck I’ve ever owned hands down

I also own a tundra....best gas truck I’ve ever owned hands down

I definitely like it. The lack of an always on 12v plug really pissed me off. I just figured out how to fix it in in a total of 5min and I had all the parts laying around to do it.

Not sure what year your truck is but you can pop the fuse box under the hood and look at the schematic for slot for “P/Outlet 1”. Pop that relay off and make a jumper cable with two spade fittings on some electrical wire about 1.5” long and jump that socket. Now both of your front 12v plugs under the AC controls are always hot. Game changer.

I definitely like it. The lack of an always on 12v plug really pissed me off. I just figured out how to fix it in in a total of 5min and I had all the parts laying around to do it.

Not sure what year your truck is but you can pop the fuse box under the hood and look at the schematic for slot for “P/Outlet 1”. Pop that relay off and make a jumper cable with two spade fittings on some electrical wire about 1.5” long and jump that socket. Now both of your front 12v plugs under the AC controls are always hot. Game changer.

damn nice I like it. I have an 08 but I’ll be getting a 3rd gen at the end of the year. I want a trd pro but don’t want the TSS bullshit so I think I’m going to go with a used 17

I had a ford 6.0 it was not a good truck, the engine kept giving me issues and it didnt handle very well, 06-07 duramax is the best engine made other than that its dodge. if you dont need to tow anything get a gasser, just easier

Back