RoidVisor

Eat as much as you want and dont get fat!

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,037 Posts
    Rep Points

Eat as much as you want and dont get fat!

At least if you were a rat in this study Interesting concept though

Alpinia officinarum: an excess of calories, yet no increase in body fat

Rats that ingest a good amount of the Alpinia officinarum plant cannot get fat, even if you fatten them with high-calorie food. In the spice rack of every supermarket you will find a close relative of this plant. You probably know it as galangal.
    Alpinia officinarum
    Alpinia officinarum is also called lesser galangal. The plant is related to ginger and turmeric, and a close relative of the greater galangal or Alpinia galangal. Both Alpinia officinarum and Alpinia galangal have a long history of medicinal and culinary use.

Alpinia officinarum is a Chinese plant, Alpinia galangal an Indonesian one. Although the composition of both plants is very similar, you often find Alpinia officinarum in traditional Asian medicines, and Alpinia galangal more often as a spice.

Roots

Whatever you use them for, the most interesting parts of both plants are the roots. Researchers at Zhejiang Chinese Medical University bought dried roots of Alpinia officinarum and turned them into an alcohol extract. They put the extracts in the food of rats for 6 weeks.
    Body fat
    The researchers experimented with 4 groups of rats. The first group received standard food. This was the control group. A second group received feed with extra sugar and fat [HFD]. Those rats, as you might expect, got fatter.

A third group was fed feed with extra sugar and fat consisting of 3 percent extract [AOE], a fourth group was fed sugar and fat rich diet consisting of 5 percent extract.

And look at that. The extract almost completely blocked the increase in fat mass.

The unhealthy feed worsened cholesterol levels, but the Alpinia officinarum extract practically eliminated this deterioration. Click on the figure above for a larger version.
    "This study may have important implications because it is the first report that Alpinia officinarum extract has anti-obesity effects and improves the lipid profile in rats fed a hight fat diet", the researchers summarize.

"However, further study is needed to investigate which compounds in Alpinia officinarum extract are responsible for the effects, as well as the molecular mechanisms responsible for the anti-obesity and hypolipidemic activity."

Dosage
    If you calculate what the rats would get if they had been human, then you arrive at astronomical amounts of more than 10 grams per day. Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary. But we'll talk about that another time.

Source:
    J Med Food. 2010 Aug;13(4):785-91.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,865 Posts
    Rep Points

There was another thread on this topic. I'm curious about the dosage mentioned: "Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary."

I'd like to see someone do a log on it for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,718 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    At least if you were a rat in this study Interesting concept though

Alpinia officinarum: an excess of calories, yet no increase in body fat

Rats that ingest a good amount of the Alpinia officinarum plant cannot get fat, even if you fatten them with high-calorie food. In the spice rack of every supermarket you will find a close relative of this plant. You probably know it as galangal.
    Alpinia officinarum
    Alpinia officinarum is also called lesser galangal. The plant is related to ginger and turmeric, and a close relative of the greater galangal or Alpinia galangal. Both Alpinia officinarum and Alpinia galangal have a long history of medicinal and culinary use.

Alpinia officinarum is a Chinese plant, Alpinia galangal an Indonesian one. Although the composition of both plants is very similar, you often find Alpinia officinarum in traditional Asian medicines, and Alpinia galangal more often as a spice.

Roots

Whatever you use them for, the most interesting parts of both plants are the roots. Researchers at Zhejiang Chinese Medical University bought dried roots of Alpinia officinarum and turned them into an alcohol extract. They put the extracts in the food of rats for 6 weeks.
    Body fat
    The researchers experimented with 4 groups of rats. The first group received standard food. This was the control group. A second group received feed with extra sugar and fat [HFD]. Those rats, as you might expect, got fatter.

A third group was fed feed with extra sugar and fat consisting of 3 percent extract [AOE], a fourth group was fed sugar and fat rich diet consisting of 5 percent extract.

And look at that. The extract almost completely blocked the increase in fat mass.

The unhealthy feed worsened cholesterol levels, but the Alpinia officinarum extract practically eliminated this deterioration. Click on the figure above for a larger version.
    "This study may have important implications because it is the first report that Alpinia officinarum extract has anti-obesity effects and improves the lipid profile in rats fed a hight fat diet", the researchers summarize.

"However, further study is needed to investigate which compounds in Alpinia officinarum extract are responsible for the effects, as well as the molecular mechanisms responsible for the anti-obesity and hypolipidemic activity."

Dosage
    If you calculate what the rats would get if they had been human, then you arrive at astronomical amounts of more than 10 grams per day. Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary. But we'll talk about that another time.

Source:
    J Med Food. 2010 Aug;13(4):785-91.
    How funny, I use galangal ginger root for all my Thai dishes. That and lemongrass and keffir lime leaves. At the Asian supermarket

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

If that's 10g+ of extract they mean would be the equivalent dose for humans, then yeah, that shit's definitely not safe lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,950 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    There was another thread on this topic. I'm curious about the dosage mentioned: "Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary."

I'd be interested in trying (and logging) this stuff myself.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

It will be interesting to see if this has the same effect on human subjects as well as rodent models.

Use ginger and turmeric a lot, nice to know it could help that way as well as tasting awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

The dosage is mentioned right there on the study:

"Dosage
    If you calculate what the rats would get if they had been human, then you arrive at astronomical amounts of more than 10 grams per day. Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary. But we'll talk about that another time."
    Last edited by Femto; 05-26-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,865 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Femto View Post
    The dosage is mentioned right there on the study:

"Dosage
    If you calculate what the rats would get if they had been human, then you arrive at astronomical amounts of more than 10 grams per day. Such a dosage is neither safe nor necessary. But we'll talk about that another time."
    Congratulations. We both quoted exactly the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Congratulations. We both quoted exactly the same thing.
    Then why are you curious about the dosage? It says right there: "(...) then you arrive at astronomical amounts of more than 10 grams per day (...)" .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Rep Points

Where does one buy this lmao