Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,231 Posts
    Rep Points

Bible Thread

Ok so I have a Bible. (got it in Prison actually) and it's King James Version

Wondering if we can get a thread going in here. You don't have to be religious, I wouldn't say I am, but I do believe in God, and I do think this is a super valuable book. The last books I read were 48 laws of Power and Art of Seduction both by Robert Greene and they were amazing

So I'm gonna start reading 10-15minutes a day again, bc to be quite honest, this lockdown is making me lose my mind. And I need to get some structure back in my life.

So anyways,we have some solid experts on this forum. From lockpicking, to meds, to computer hacking to mechanics, etc, etc.

You get what I am saying

Is there anyone here who is an expert in say theology, or hermeneutics or even Philosophy?

I'd like to bounce some questions off you guys, re: Interpretation
    . I have read the Bible in the past and I don't understand much of it.

If anyone else is in on this venture, feel free to join me. It is one of the greatest books I have read, but it has been a decade since I read it.

So I am in need of assistance!

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Rep Points

Iím a preachers kid. I have an M.Th. I also am agnostic but am willing to help where I can.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,231 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lathe Crasher View Post
    Iím a preachers kid. I have an M.Th. I also am agnostic but am willing to help where I can.
    Outstanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lathe Crasher View Post
    So where you agnostic before or after your masters in theology? Just struck me as a odd degree to study with your personal beliefs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

An agnostic wanting to help out a beliver. That is so ironic it's funny. What are you going to help him with, how to not believe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,039 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shawnlee View Post
    An agnostic wanting to help out a beliver. That is so ironic it's funny. What are you going to help him with, how to not believe?

Awesome first post. Who is the agnostic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,805 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    Awesome first post. Who is the agnostic?
    he spoketh too sooneth isiah 43:5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,805 Posts
    Rep Points

Self made monster I believe. I thought he had mentioned he studied all 3 major monotheistic ideologies. Also I read it here and there but am no Christian Bible expert. Religion has fascinated me for a long time. My mom had a rough childhood and her troubles spilled over into her adulthood. She bounced back and forth between different Christian sects and Jehovah witnessí ... she was always looking for reason in her life I guess. But I would say that I am a Christian, not a very good one, but God makes sense to me....it gives me hope. And there are a lot of good people in the Christian circle. A lot of bad people too but the message of Christ is an incredible story.

I try to put myself back in that timeframe, itís crazy really.

life is just too intricate and the human body is just too dynamic for this to just happen through evolution. From nothingness to a giant gas explosion to bacterium to humans, I donít buy it.

Human beings were a well thought out creation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,039 Posts
    Rep Points

New King James version is probably going to be the most accurate and easiest to understand. NIV and some of the others are known for mutilating some passages (and flat out adding/subtracting other things). Here's a link to a place that will email you a daily reading plan that gets you through the bible in one year (just make sure to pick the NKJV):
    https://www.bibleinayear.org/

Easiest/best search feature, imo:
    https://www.biblegateway.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

New King James version is probably going to be the most accurate and easiest to understand. NIV and some of the others are known for mutilating some passages (and flat out adding/subtracting other things). Here's a link to a place that will email you a daily reading plan that gets you through the bible in one year (just make sure to pick the NKJV):

actually, the NIV catches most of its fire from those who represent or stick solely to the KJV. Theyíre called TRíonlyists or KJV-onlyists. What weíve discovered today, it that a lot of verses (over 2k) in the KJV were not in the original manuscripts. The KJV is one of the MOST poetic and beautifully written forms of scripture but the verb changes and even the mistakes surpass that of most translations. In fact the NIV states this in their passages foot notes at the bottom of their pages. Explaining these whenever the verses present themselves. The most accurate translation of the New Testament we call a transliteration, is the ESV. Itís the most accurate from the original Greek manuscripts.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Rep Points

I started out with the KJV but i prefer the NLT study, because it is still the King James with a whole Lot Of extra valuable content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,931 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm not highly religious either but like you I do believe there is probably a god and I sense that if we consistently choose to be evil and a POS in life that we will suffer consequences after life.
    A lot of religions and their 'books' are fine as long as they don't condone terrorism/killing other people.
    I do not believe everything in the bible but the stories are interesting and there is nothing wrong with the basic morals it points out. Basically it is a guide to being a decent human being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lifter6973 View Post
    I'm not highly religious either but like you I do believe there is probably a god and I sense that if we consistently choose to be evil and a POS in life that we will suffer consequences after life.
    A lot of religions and their 'books' are fine as long as they don't condone terrorism/killing other people.
    I do not believe everything in the bible but the stories are interesting and there is nothing wrong with the basic morals it points out. Basically it is a guide to being a decent human being.
    God dont lie brother maybe the masses have twisted the interpretations but nonetheless believe brother believe. I also have no problem with you not believing as that's not my role, I stay in my lane only speaking about the truth

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,069 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lifter6973 View Post
    I agree. The magic stories are nonsence but it is an excellent guide to live by

UNCLE Z REP
    WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

ORDERS@UNCLEZ.RU FOR ORDER QUESTIONS

PM FOR ALL OTHER HELP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts
    Rep Points

This is great advice.... I fully agree with multi on this. I did back in the day have a NKJV but I also did have NIV. If I got stuck with passages from the NKJV I would read the NIV to see if I understood it better then went back to NKJV.