• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

24 leg exercises compared: the step-up is best for the glutes

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
24 leg exercises compared: the step-up is best for the glutes
step-ups-just-a-pic.jpg
The more hours you spend sitting daily, the more difficult it is to develop your glutes, even if you are doing strength training. For this reason, many bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts with a sedentary lifestyle will be interested in the research that Brazilian scientist Walter Krause Neto recently published in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine.Study

In the scientific literature, Neto tracked 12 previously published studies in which researchers had subjects train their legs with exercises such as squats, dead-lifts, hip-thrusts and lunges. Using EMG technology, the researchers determined to what extent those exercises activated the gluteus maximus. The gluteus maximus is the largest and most important gluteal muscle.Neto obtained information on a total of 24 exercises.
Results
Below you can see which exercises scored well. They are arranged according to the degree to which they stimulated the gluteus maximus. The hip-thrusts scored well, but the step-ups scored even better.
Click on the figure below for a larger version.

glutes-best-exercises-3.gif
Conclusion
"This systematic review demonstrated that the step-up exercise and its variations present the highest levels of muscle excitation of gluteus maximus followed by several bilateral exercises and its variations, such as deadlifts, hip thrusts, and squats", writes Neto.
"Gluteus maximus activity may vary significantly according to changes in technique during the exercise." Source:
J Sports Sci Med. 2020 Feb 24;19(1):195-203.

interesting. I sit all day for work and just added step ups to my leg day. Looks like it was a good decision

I'm surprised it beats the hip thrust I thought those were the ultimate glute iso. And the RDL for that matter. But they do give a crazy stretch in the glutes so I can see why they'd be good.

Back