• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Volume is the "main driver" of hypertrophy

IML Gear Cream!
If it's the think big podcast I heard it already yeah.

He's one of the sharpest guys to ever touch a weight. I'll listen to him and his advice and John meadows over the "big guy" or "pro" any day of the week.

Both of who are proponents of higher frequency training.
Yea it was think big and I echo what u said

UNCLE Z REP
PM FOR QUESTIONS/INQUIRIES OR BUMPMAN82@PROTONMAIL.COM

If it's the think big podcast I heard it already yeah.

He's one of the sharpest guys to ever touch a weight. I'll listen to him and his advice and John meadows over the "big guy" or "pro" any day of the week.

Both of who are proponents of higher frequency training.

Coach turned me onto Meadows. Great stuff. :twothumbs:

No offense to Monte's training prowess, but the fact is, Monte isn't all that impressive. Not meant to be a dig at Monte, but I've seen his update pics. Yeah he's a big dude and bigger than me, but let's face it, we all know someone bigger. There's always someone bigger. I know a shit load of guys that make him look like a baby AND swear by "bro splits" that are demonized by so many. So my point? Not that Monte doesn't know his shit, clearly he does, but the point i am trying to make, is there isn't only one way to stimulate muscle growth.

As for your recent growth. Yes, its possible you grew muscle mass because of Monte's training methods, however, isn't it also possible you had become stagnant and grew simply because you changed up your training methods? You said yourself you had been doing bro splits your whole life.

I Didn't Choose the Swolle Life, The Swolle Life Chose Me

Could be but I also was having constant issues with injuries training the bro split way. Higher volume and heavier weight each week or two. I never felt I could get a head. Strength went up for awhile but size plateaued and I could never get my weaker parts to grow like I can now. Protein synthesis is optimal during a 48 hour period or less. After that 48 hours you are primed to hit that muscle group again specially those who are chemically enhanced. So training that muscle group 1 time a week isn’t taking advantage of that optimal window for growth. More frequency is needed along with progressive overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo, these guys who are bigger then me are bigger then me because they follow a bro split but you're not bigger then me and you do follow a bro split?

Well that don't make no sense at all do it.

And nobody said there was only one way.

But, one way IS better then the other if you're not genetically inclined to put on muscle.

Muscle growth comes down to two main things -

1 - the ability to activate protein synthesis

2 - The ability to recover from muscle damage

You must do/go past number 1 to grow muscle.

Once you do, you are where you need to be in the process of growing tissue. Continuing to pound yourself into the ground and incurring more muscle damage from more volume, only prolongs the amount of time you have to rest to reduce the inflammation, it DOESN'T increase tissue growth.

Of course it's more complex then that but, that's simplifying it.

Like Dorian said - "If you're hammering a nail, yeah you can get a little hammer and tap it fifty times. That works. Or, you can get a bigger hammer and hit it twice."

When you put it that way Monte, no, it doesn't make sense. But by using your reasoning, shouldn't you be bigger than bro split guys if your training methodology is superior? And I don't follow a bro spit style of training, which I'm assuming we're talking completely annihilating one body per day? I'm actually more of a PPL kinda guy, hitting each part 2x per week. But I will say, like most people, I did start off on bro splits and saw massive progress. But that was all we had back in the day, and it worked fine for me and it still works fine for shit load of people.
I'm a fan of trainingin general, not of one specific style. So as long one is putting in work, seeing progress and achieving goals, it's all good.

Oh, and I do agree with points #1 and #2 needed to achieve muscle growth.

When you put it that way Monte, no, it doesn't make sense. But by using your reasoning, shouldn't you be bigger than bro split guys if your training methodology is superior? And I don't follow a bro spit style of training, which I'm assuming we're talking completely annihilating one body per day? I'm actually more of a PPL kinda guy, hitting each part 2x per week. But I will say, like most people, I did start off on bro splits and saw massive progress. But that was all we had back in the day, and it worked fine for me and it still works fine for shit load of people.
I'm a fan of trainingin general, not of one specific style. So as long one is putting in work, seeing progress and achieving goals, it's all good.

Please go back and re read what I posted. I'm pointing out to you how silly your point about some guy being bigger then me is. I'm not supporting it with my snide ass comments.

I got some bad news....99% of us are just enhanced gym rats. We're going to grow regardless of methodology. :coffee: How fast we grow is the rub.

:stirthepot::popcorn:

I got some bad news....99% of us are just enhanced gym rats. We're going to grow regardless of methodology. :coffee: How fast we grow is the rub.

:stirthepot::popcorn:
235f905f227f7437190aafd5923cded9.jpg

Genetics matter so much more than how you train. There are however better training methods that maximize your genetic potential. I'm sure Monte has gotten bigger than other guys with similar genetics who only use bro splits. He looks bigger/muscular than 95% of people in this forum imo.

You volume junkies -

Go look at the guys who have worked with me constantly in the past couple years.

See how much they have grown with low volume, progressive overload and high frequency. They were all doing bro splits before.

Proof is in the pudding.

"proof is in the pudding?” there is more than one way to skin a cat. I almost exclusively train high volume and or use “unorthodox” styles of training according to the old school brainwashing of “heavy” is the only way :boobs:

"proof is in the pudding?” there is more than one way to skin a cat. I almost exclusively train high volume and or use “unorthodox” styles of training according to the old school brainwashing of “heavy” is the only way :boobs:
Yes, proof is in the pudding. Exactly what I said.

I've only ever cared for chocolate pudding, it's my favorite. However, I'm not closed minded to think my flavor of pudding is superior to that of the other flavors of pudding; vanilla, tapioca, butterscotch, custard, lemon, etc...it just happens to be what I like

I've only ever cared for chocolate pudding, it's my favorite. However, I'm not closed minded to think my flavor of pudding is superior to that of the other flavors of pudding; vanilla, tapioca, butterscotch, custard, lemon, etc...it just happens to be what I like

Fuuuuuuuuck....now I want some butterscotch puddin. GD quarantine cravings. Is this what's it like for pregnant women?

Fuuuuuuuuck....now I want some butterscotch puddin. GD quarantine cravings. Is this what's it like for pregnant women?
Now I'm eating shit I normally wouldn't eat, out of boredom

Oreo pudding is the best. Not even close.

IML Gear Cream!
Literally shit I haven't had since I was a kid. Paid like $10 for a box of Quisp cereal...no regrets.
Talk about a blast from the past! Walmart dot com has Quisp in stock, a case of 12 for $45 with free shipping. I'm all over that... damn you!!!!

Oreo pudding is the best. Not even close.
I left out Oreo pudding for a reason

This thread legit turned into a pudding thread lol..... l can only speak for myself and what I’ve learned from my personal experience. I’ve spent about 20 years in the gym (with some breaks \ off time for various reasons), and was natty for about 14 of them (this can alter the effectiveness of training styles).

For me personally, volume has been key to putting on size / developing muscles past the “fit guy” look and reaching the “body building” look. Again, this is just my experience. However, this is not the case for my whole body. For me, smaller muscle groups (I.e.) bi’s, tri’s, traps, etc., frequency is key. Training arms 3x a week does more for me then training them once and doing 4-5 exercises of 4-5 sets for bi’s and / or tri’s. My delts actually respond well to both. I can train delts high volume twice a week and then throw in another day or two of presses and lateral raises and see gains from that. However, I also boxed for years which may have forced my body and my delts to adjust to dealing with intense workloads every day.

Also with chest and back, my body responds well to dips or push-ups and pull-ups or chins a few times a week, but the real changes seem to occur when I go high volume on the bigger muscle groups 1-2 X’s a week. Honestly, this seems to be the case even off-cycle. Again, not saying which works better, not giving a scientific answer of a definitive A or B, just saying what works for me. Frequency builds my smaller muscle groups best, high volume and TUT has been most effective for my larger muscle groups. Best of all is when I can mix it up just a little bit so my muscles are stimulated frequently, but only truly “worked” once or twice a week. But hey, that’s just me.

Now I want Butterscotch TastyKakes!!

Max

This thread legit turned into a pudding thread lol..... l can only speak for myself and what I’ve learned from my personal experience. I’ve spent about 20 years in the gym (with some breaks \ off time for various reasons), and was natty for about 14 of them (this can alter the effectiveness of training styles).

For me personally, volume has been key to putting on size / developing muscles past the “fit guy” look and reaching the “body building” look. Again, this is just my experience. However, this is not the case for my whole body. For me, smaller muscle groups (I.e.) bi’s, tri’s, traps, etc., frequency is key. Training arms 3x a week does more for me then training them once and doing 4-5 exercises of 4-5 sets for bi’s and / or tri’s. My delts actually respond well to both. I can train delts high volume twice a week and then throw in another day or two of presses and lateral raises and see gains from that. However, I also boxed for years which may have forced my body and my delts to adjust to dealing with intense workloads every day.

Also with chest and back, my body responds well to dips or push-ups and pull-ups or chins a few times a week, but the real changes seem to occur when I go high volume on the bigger muscle groups 1-2 X’s a week. Honestly, this seems to be the case even off-cycle. Again, not saying which works better, not giving a scientific answer of a definitive A or B, just saying what works for me. Frequency builds my smaller muscle groups best, high volume and TUT has been most effective for my larger muscle groups. Best of all is when I can mix it up just a little bit so my muscles are stimulated frequently, but only truly “worked” once or twice a week. But hey, that’s just me.

so ... Oreo pudding for you too, no?

Please go back and re read what I posted. I'm pointing out to you how silly your point about some guy being bigger then me is. I'm not supporting it with my snide ass comments.
Wesley Swolle is almost 60. Would you have him doing things the same way as Killionb12? I have had to make a lot of adjustments with age.

Wesley Swolle is almost 60. Would you have him doing things the same way as Killionb12? I have had to make a lot of adjustments with age.
Frequency and volume would absolutely stay similar unless he specifically needs more volume because he can't train with the needed intensity.

Rep ranges or intensity techniques would differ though probably yes.

KILLONB12 does a DC hybrid type split where he has both rest pause work days and heavy loading days. His DC days are in a higher rep range though given the loading days and how he responds.

Like I've said before, heavy is relative to how hard you make the set. Just because you're working with a lower volume approach, it doesn't mean you work weights up to the point of injury. Also, only a couple sets during the week are actually taken to failure, in his case, those are the higher rep DC sets.

All these training styles and I’m still trying to get through Ramp3 4days a week Big Beyond Belief from the 1990s!! Fml!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back