Fed or fasted cardio: Which is right for you?

Internet Goddess
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,048 Posts
    Rep Points

Question Fed or fasted cardio: Which is right for you?

Fed or fasted cardio: Which is right for you?

Feeling frustrated your fitness endeavors are starting to feel like math class? When it all seemed straight forward and simple, they threw X, Y, and Z into the mix, and from there it quickly escalated from making sense to extremely complicated (remember deciphering proofs in college?).

Think back to the days when cardio was just, well, cardio. The concept was pretty straight forward and simple, but as time has passed you’ve quickly learned that cardio isn’t as simple as you once believed. The type, frequency, and time can be confusing enough…and now they’ve thrown another element into the mix…

At least in math, the square root of 144 is always 12.

The Fitness Results Formula should always consist of three elements: Resistance Training (X) + Nutrition (Y) + Cardiovascular Training (Z) = Results

Not everyone’s fitness goals are the same and it’s the job of your trainer to manipulate X, Y, and, Z to help you get the results you desire. But because this article is about cardio, we will focus on the Z factor.

Cardio is an important piece of the fitness formula and like the other two pieces, cardio is a variable. It’s able to change, and those changes can influence your results in different ways.

Today’s story problem is: Is fasted cardio more effective than fed cardio?

First, let’s define some terms:

Fasted cardio is defined as cardio that is done in a fasted state, typically first thing in the morning after a full night of no eating or drinking calories.

Fed cardio is defined as cardio that is done after food has been consumed during the day.

Question: As we know, being in a fasted state means we are in afat burning mode, so wouldn’t that mean that if we do fasted cardio we will burn fat?

Quick Answer: Yes, that is correct, your body will oxidize fat to provide energy for your cardio session.

However, when you do cardio, fasted or fed, you are burning calories. Your energy deficit by the end of the day determines whether you will have weight loss or not. This seems simple, because it is. Which leads us to the next question…

Question: Is fasted cardio right for you?

Solution #1: If it works best for your schedule to perform fasted cardio, do it. Don’t overthink it. If this is the time that works best for you and you can’t stomach calories before, then no worries. I suggest you make sure to always follow this session with a meal of higher protein so you don’t end up catabolizing your lean mass.

Solution #2: If your body fat is already in the lower digits and you are looking to burn up those stubborn areas, this would be a good time to start incorporating fasted cardio into your schedule a few times a week. Practical evidence has shown that if you are needing to target stubborn areas of fat, fasted cardio could be the solution. If you are looking to blast fat without your body eating up your gains, don’t forget to incorporate a post-workout shake or REAAL BCAA’s immediately following a fasted session.

So back to the ultimate question: Is fasted cardio better than fed cardio?

The answer unfortunately isn’t as black and white as a the 1+1=2. But with the solutions above you can come to the best conclusion that will help you reach YOUR goals faster. My advice is to continue your training protocol, make sure your nutrition is dialed in, and when you are ready to take it to the next level, throw in a few fasted sessions a week and see how your body responds.
    Fasted cardio can be a great way to shock your body into metabolizing your energy in a different way and blast through the plateau you’ve been sitting on.

Fitness in depth, may not be as simple as 1+1=2, but if you always follow this formula, you will get results.
    Fitness Results Formula: Resistance Training (X) + Nutrition (Y) + Cardiovascular Training (Z) = Results.
    PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

Twat Waffle Inspector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Rep Points

Neither

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

ive done both. dont really mind either to be honest, just see how i feel when i wake.

if i feel like munching on something, i do. if i dont, i dont.

dont overthink it.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Rep Points

Seems like either way for me -I actually " feel" a bit better fasted -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

Feel much better fasted first thing. Feel a bit lighter and can smash out quicker times for running, end up being sick even after 3 hours post food otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,467 Posts
    Rep Points

Cutting or recomp I do : AM FASTED w Black Cold Brew Coffee and Water

Normally- Post Weight Training

Competitive/Photoshoot: AM FASTED and Post Weights 45min each

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Rep Points

def. fasted. ive just always lifted and done cardio early am on an empty stomach. the few times ive eaten before, always get indigestion of some sort. have to confess been pretty slack on cardio lately. the last time i went for a run had terrible shin splints. good excuse not to do it. anybody know any remedy for shin splints. some painful shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,648 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    Cutting or recomp I do : AM FASTED w Black Cold Brew Coffee and Water

Normally- Post Weight Training

Competitive/Photoshoot: AM FASTED and Post Weights 45min each

Max
    Boom! There you have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

Whenever i've had shin splints from running and rugby i try and increase the blood flow to the fascia around the shin (front and sides) with a tennis ball, foam roller or a hockey ball. Gradually progressing to the harder objects once i can handle the discomfort with the softer ones. Also loosening off my calves has always helped me too, with stretching and rolling my calves out on hockey balls and golf balls

Hurts a fair bit but after a few sessions of doing that the shin splints go away.... and rolling on a hockey ball/golf ball feels a lot less sadistic
    Last edited by Barn1234; 04-21-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11,467 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Barn1234 View Post
    Whenever i've had shin splints from running and rugby i try and increase the blood flow to the fascia around the shin (front and sides) with a tennis ball, foam roller or a hockey ball. Gradually progressing to the harder objects once i can handle the discomfort with the softer ones. Also loosening off my calves has always helped me too, with stretching and rolling my calves out on hockey balls and golf balls

Hurts a fair bit but after a few sessions of doing that the shin splints go away.... and rolling on a hockey ball/golf ball feels a lot less sadistic
    Shin splints are the worst! Luckily I don’t get them anymore as I refuse to run long distance. I do speed walk and walk-sprints still but, I lucked out. I never looked into why someone gets them..?

Max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maxmuscle1 View Post
    Shin splints are the worst! Luckily I don’t get them anymore as I refuse to run long distance. I do speed walk and walk-sprints still but, I lucked out. I never looked into why someone gets them..?

Max
    Yeah they suck!! Nice!! Found hill sprints are insane for losing some extra bulk, make your heart rate spike like mad!!

A physio once mentioned to me that shin splints are caused by tight fascia impinging and becoming inflamed? Also heard from someone else that they're due to calcium deposits and another saying they're micro fractures.... ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Back when competing I always did faster cardio - but the reality is that just DOING it is what’s important. I train higher volume now that back in the heavy duty days and i try to train fairly fast so I feel that I get some cardio there. I still like morning cardio and sometime do fasted - other times maybe a piece of fruit before. Seems to be about the same effectiveness either way.