• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How old were you when you made a major life change.

ROID

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Different job, different path in life,

Good decision , bad decision,

18. Moved across the country and away from family to go play football.

I was 19 when I went to the Navy. It wasn’t for me but it taught me some very valuable lessons and values like tidiness, personal responsibility, appreciation for being a civilian and pride in whatever I do.

Granted I was just a kid but I was pretty much a dumbass before I went. I didn’t appreciate anything and didn’t have much in the way of drive. Something about boot camp just knocked something loose in my brain and my priorities have been different ever since.

I came back home and got involved in growing what was a new family business at the time but I wouldn’t have been successful had I not had that experience before hand.

I was 19 when I went to the Navy. It wasn’t for me but it taught me some very valuable lessons and values like tidiness, personal responsibility, appreciation for being a civilian and pride in whatever I do.

Granted I was just a kid but I was pretty much a dumbass before I went. I didn’t appreciate anything and didn’t have much in the way of drive. Something about boot camp just knocked something loose in my brain and my priorities have been different ever since.

I came back home and got involved in growing what was a new family business at the time but I wouldn’t have been successful had I not had that experience before hand.
The military has a good way of straightening out wayward kids I have to say. I can relate as my youngest cousin went to Army bootcamp years ago and when he came back I saw a changed young man as he used to be cocky and brash then became a more thoughtful less impulsive person. Nowadays runs a successful family business.

For me going off to college was a life changer. Learned new things and became more independent as I was the first in my family to ever attend a college.

Last edited:
Just moving out at 22, getting married and having a new house built (back in 1989).
Wife and I still basically doing the same stuff 30+ years later. Not a fan of change I guess. :)

I was 41 it turned out to be a great decision for my career, life is full of changes and sometimes your provision and plan are not where you think they are.

I'm about to make one at 39.

Tired of working for someone else. Tired of hourly pay. I make good money and my benefits are very very good but I think I can do better.

Me and a friend are going to try and get something up and going on our own. I've been back and forth in my mind for a few years now. I'm comfortable where I'm at. It's safe. I keep worrying about benefits.mainly medical but I'm going to make the jump.

Ill be able to handle failure better than always wondering if I could have done something more in life for myself and family.

It's scary. I'm nervous.

My friend has his general contractors license so that gets us into anything commercial or residential.
I can't say I'm a master carpenter but I know enough that i can make more money going at things on my on instead of punching a clock and busting my ass so people above me make more in there bonuses than I make for a check.

They have been dangling a big pay raise in my face for months and this past week I've just had enough. It's stupid to depend on someone , at least for me, to put my trust in someone else when it comes to wanting something better when I have a chance to make things happen on my own.

I am afraid though.

Funny..my good friend back in Savannah decided to work on cars..high end stuff..no training,jumped in with both feet..
3 yrs later..has a nice shop..making about 500k a yr..

Like..what did I do wrong..??
Master BMW and Mazda Tech.. haven't broken 100k yet..

I'm about to make one at 39.

Tired of working for someone else. Tired of hourly pay. I make good money and my benefits are very very good but I think I can do better.

Me and a friend are going to try and get something up and going on our own. I've been back and forth in my mind for a few years now. I'm comfortable where I'm at. It's safe. I keep worrying about benefits.mainly medical but I'm going to make the jump.

Ill be able to handle failure better than always wondering if I could have done something more in life for myself and family.

It's scary. I'm nervous.

My friend has his general contractors license so that gets us into anything commercial or residential.
I can't say I'm a master carpenter but I know enough that i can make more money going at things on my on instead of punching a clock and busting my ass so people above me make more in there bonuses than I make for a check.

They have been dangling a big pay raise in my face for months and this past week I've just had enough. It's stupid to depend on someone , at least for me, to put my trust in someone else when it comes to wanting something better when I have a chance to make things happen on my own.

I am afraid though.

So long as you feel good about your ability to accrue a backlog of work and you have your costs in check you should be good.

Number one thing I see when people make the transition to self-employment is they see money coming in and they think it’s all profit, and they spend it. Obviously it’s not that simple. You’ll have self-employment taxes that’ll need to be paid annually and if you’re going to have people on your payroll you’ll need WC insurance, which can cost you big come renewal time, after they audit your payroll.

The bigger the enterprise the more complicated it gets. But like you said, if you’ve got the ambition and the technical and marketing skills, you’re sacrificing dollars for security.

Good luck man.

IML Gear Cream!
I was 15 when I got my first serious job. Soon I flew to another country as part of it and gained a lot of experience not only professionally, but also as a person. My views, my understanding of many things changed. I don’t know how my life would have turned out if I hadn’t come to that company then.

Which time? I've had five major career changes. Three by choice. Two because I saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship early. I love new challenges. Change is exciting. I read the book, Who Moved My Cheese years ago and it changed my perspective.

Joined the Army at 18.

Totally altered my trajectory in many many good ways.

Although I hated it while I was in... but most soldiers bitch.

Talk about getting out (then you see half of them re-up). Lol

Never wanted kids, thought it would be the end of me. My way of life was not compatible with being a dad, not in the slightest. Ended up getting my wife pregnant by accident, certainly wasn’t trying. I was so freaked out. Within those 9 months I got my shit together about 80%. After having son and realizing how much he meant to me and how much being a good father for him meant to me I got my the rest of my shit together 100%, over the next few months of him being born.

I’ve never felt so in control of my life, my actions and my future. I’m proud of the change I made. Most people don’t make it out alive (opiate addiction) and I’ve left it very far behind. I’m so focused on doing this right. Even fucking with gear sits heavy with me because I know I’m taking a big risk doing so. A risk that could potentially shake up my family life badly…I already made my decision though and this is going to be a part of my life until I die, so I am being as careful as possible moving forward with this.

I ran away at 15 got into a gang. At 21 I was out. Met my wife at 22 married her 2 years later.

The biggest change was 2018. I quit being a Mechanic and Shop Manager. Body was just done and so was my drive. Too much B.S. in that industry for me. I felt like I was wasting time. Nothing else to learn.

So after healing up and resting for a year and half. I signed up for nursing school a B.S.N. I am over half way done but I have a had a few health issues along the way. I should have been done by summer 2022, now it is Spring 2023.

I made a promise to finish and I will do so...

Back