• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How many recovery days after hitting gym hard for several months?

christiantt

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Been hitting the gym hard past several months, did a couple cycles, made solid gains, progress, etc. Some minor joint issues started flaring up, muscle tweaks here and there that usually never happen and are often a sign I need some recovery days. I usually take a several day break every 4 months or so and do nothing except maybe go for some runs. Anybody else do this? I'm on day three of no weights or anything, got a therapeutic massage, eating a lot but clean, feeling pretty good, sleeping great and can't wait to get back in the gym.

Anybody else do this, take recovery breaks that last a couple days? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

yeah man, you'll find that the older u get, the more recovery u need.(at least for me) Used to hit it EVERY day including weekends, holidays etc. Just can't do it now. 3-4 times a week for me is ALL. And every 3 mos. or so will take 3 or 4 days off, but if ur like me, it drives me crazy. Got real sick back in 2014 and couldn't lift for 3 mos.and guess what? I didn't die or turn into a fat slob like I always told myself I would. It just gets in ur blood bro- I just try not to get obsessive w/it- it's a fine line. Try to tell myself it's one of the FEW good addictions-lol

Been hitting the gym hard past several months, did a couple cycles, made solid gains, progress, etc. Some minor joint issues started flaring up, muscle tweaks here and there that usually never happen and are often a sign I need some recovery days. I usually take a several day break every 4 months or so and do nothing except maybe go for some runs. Anybody else do this? I'm on day three of no weights or anything, got a therapeutic massage, eating a lot but clean, feeling pretty good, sleeping great and can't wait to get back in the gym.

Anybody else do this, take recovery breaks that last a couple days? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

A sign of overtraining is having injuries...so you may not be taking enough time between sessions to completely recovery as it is.

If you take a vacation or two through out the year, then use that time to really rest. So if you go to Aruba for a week, don't lift. Just truly rest up. Decompress.

Ppl will also cycle in days of really light weight to help give their body a rest. Higher reps but lighter weight. So they still are working out but with less intensity. Periodization training. Look it up.

A sign of overtraining is having injuries...so you may not be taking enough time between sessions to completely recovery as it is.

If you take a vacation or two through out the year, then use that time to really rest. So if you go to Aruba for a week, don't lift. Just truly rest up. Decompress.

Ppl will also cycle in days of really light weight to help give their body a rest. Higher reps but lighter weight. So they still are working out but with less intensity. Periodization training. Look it up.

^^^ this. ^^^

I honestly try not to get injury flare ups. Having blown both rotater cups, they now tell me when to back it down. Overtraining hurts gain. Maybe I'm old but 2 push pulls is plenty for me ...

Does anyone do push pull training anymore ?
PPL or Push/Pull as in chest/triceps, back/biceps splits?

I didn't choose the swolle life, the swolle life chose me~Wesley Swolle

PPL or Push/Pull as in chest/triceps, back/biceps splits?

I didn't choose the swolle life, the swolle life chose me~Wesley Swolle

Ya, like, mon-wed, push, bench, triceps extentions, squat, incline, shrugs.

Tue- Thursday pull. Curls, rows, pull downs, abs.

What’s your definition of several days off every 4 months? That sounds like during those 4 months you take zero days off. I take a couple to several days off every week depending on I'm on a 4 or 5 day training regiment. So I take 2 or 3 days off a week. Couple times a year I’ll take a week or two. Sometimes if my back injury flares up it’s more time off.

What’s your definition of several days off every 4 months? That sounds like during those 4 months you take zero days off. I take a couple to several days off every week depending on I'm on a 4 or 5 day training regiment. So I take 2 or 3 days off a week. Couple times a year I’ll take a week or two. Sometimes if my back injury flares up it’s more time off.

Good question and I should have clarified originally.
I workout 4-5 days a week, differentiating programs, etc to fit my goals. But as we all know here, if we go full dialed in for those 4-5 workouts, months on end, that's a-lot of body stress....gear or no gear.

I guess I'm saying I'm listening to my body tell me to take a break. But, perhaps, next time I can take the break before it hits the point of being forced to.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!

Thanks!

Deload is something used to recover. This can be some days completely off from gym or some days week training with less volume and intensity. Never go to failure and never do more than 45min workout . The idea is to recover joints , central nervous system and muscle.
There is no right time to do that ( you should do when you feel you need

Deload is something used to recover. This can be some days completely off from gym or some days week training with less volume and intensity. Never go to failure and never do more than 45min workout . The idea is to recover joints , central nervous system and muscle.
There is no right time to do that ( you should do when you feel you need

Monstro, when you deload, or take a break, how long?

for maximum progress you should really take a deload every 4 to 8 weeks, a beginner or early intermediate can usually go every 8 to 12, deloads are typically an entire week or sometimes two weeks, lookup how to deload on youtube, you can take time off or you lower the intensity and/or volume dramatically for an entire week.

Last edited:
I never train more than 2 days in a row and always take 2 consecutive days off in a week.

yeah man, you'll find that the older u get, the more recovery u need.(at least for me) Used to hit it EVERY day including weekends, holidays etc. Just can't do it now. 3-4 times a week for me is ALL. And every 3 mos. or so will take 3 or 4 days off, but if ur like me, it drives me crazy. Got real sick back in 2014 and couldn't lift for 3 mos.and guess what? I didn't die or turn into a fat slob like I always told myself I would. It just gets in ur blood bro- I just try not to get obsessive w/it- it's a fine line. Try to tell myself it's one of the FEW good addictions-lol

Well fuck yeah you have to take long recovery breaks bro. Your two days older than dirt. Wtf do you expect? Lol Just j/king bro.

I also have a 20 lb, 120lb and 200 lb solid steel rollers. Not these pussy foam things. Having your muscles rolled or rather tissue diffused while static vs trying active roll on a garbage foam roller makes only about a million % difference in injury recovery and prevention.
Triceps tendonitis? Two 3 meter knee wraps in two layers tight enough to cast your arm and have your hand turn purple. Followed by 120 lb of weight in rolling pin fashion for 5 minutes. Cures any and all elbow, Triceps, biceps, gilfers and tennis elbow without spending a grand on peptides.
Active tissue diffusion under a tourniquet style wrap. The amount of blood and O2 it gets into your muscles is just retarded.
Low back, traps, rotators, upper back, hams, quads, chest.

Does anyone do push pull training anymore ?

Here's my workout schedule:

Mon- Off
Tue- Off
Wed - Chest, shoulders, tris
Thur - Off
Fri - Off
Sat- Legs, back, bis
Sun- Off

I am aware that it would be ideal to separate legs and back, but since I'm training in my 1br apt living room, I hate having to get my bench, bar out of the coat closet, then bring the squat racks from the bedroom, then pull the plates from under my couch. I still look pretty good and plus my job right now is very physically demanding so this routine has minimal impact on my recovery and work performance. For me, training more than 3 days doesn't lead to more gains. I've never needed frequent training to gain though. I was at a gym talking to a personal trainer who I was bigger than despite only training once every 5 days (at the time), I told him I don't train often enough to need a split routine, he looked at my chest and had this look like "wtf!?". Lol. I was on deca at the time though.

Need to go by what your body is telling you. The Wendler 5/3/1 and other training cycles tell you do do a deload every 4th week.
I personally don't agree on a set deload, but do it when its time. (Might be 5th or 6th week, etc).
I will say if someone is training every single day, and is not needing a deload or some days off, they just aint training very hard.
No matter what they try to tell you.

Taking one week off and possibly enjoying yourself with some food that is not normally in your diet can really go a long way. It can be a nice little rebound.

For myself I noticed even during my routine if life gets in the way and I have a few days off due to circumstances it actually works in my favor.

Time off is very underestimated. On paper it sounds like it will be best to always be going hardcore balls to the walls for weeks and weeks on end.

If someone is not prepping for a show or a meet than there's no need for it, going full torque that is.

Agree with Vis again...damn it..
Yrs ago I trained hard..not so much now..but when I did every 5 to 6 wks,I'd take a whole wk off..
Now I'm doing it a bit different..a light,4 exercises,2 to 3 days a wk.. staggered through out my blast..
For ex..weeks...3...6...9..light wks..

Get Shredded!
The older I get, the more rest I enjoy. I used to train heavy 6x/week, and would feel like I was going crazy if I missed a day. Now, I rest when I need it.

The older I get, the more rest I enjoy. I used to train heavy 6x/week, and would feel like I was going crazy if I missed a day. Now, I rest when I need it.

Wise Man...
Listen to what the body tells you..

Dickhead-lol Karmas a bitch. Don't hate me because I'm more mature and worldly than u. Ask Killy, he'll tell u.-lol. And to think I took up for u- lmao! Hope u doing good bro! This was meant for AR. New phone is to smart for me

Last edited:
I go a week off cardio only after training 4 months straight.

Back