• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Yoke bar squats (safety squat bar)

TouaregV8

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
After all my years in the gym I have never squatted with a yoke bar, so I was pleasantly surprised to see there was one available at one of my local Gold's locations. Yesterday was my first time ever squatting with one. I am traditionally a low bar squatter so it took a little getting used to sitting higher up on my traps and the fact that the weight is at a more forward location. I can definitely say that I felt more activation in my quads and less in the glutes and hamstrings...It had more of a front squat feeling to it.

Do any of you squat regularly with a yoke bar? I'm interested in hearing your feedback/impressions. Any tips you can recommend to a new yoke bar squatter?

My gym got one about a year ago and i switch between it, rear and front squats about 2 weeks then i switch. It took some time to get used to the pads on it felt like i realley had to concentrate to keep the bar stable. Steady use and slowing down my movement seem to be the ticket. To me its almost identical to front squat but then variation is always good so i will stick with it. Good luck i know you will get used to it and enjoy it. Great quad activator.

After all my years in the gym I have never squatted with a yoke bar, so I was pleasantly surprised to see there was one available at one of my local Gold's locations. Yesterday was my first time ever squatting with one. I am traditionally a low bar squatter so it took a little getting used to sitting higher up on my traps and the fact that the weight is at a more forward location. I can definitely say that I felt more activation in my quads and less in the glutes and hamstrings...It had more of a front squat feeling to it.

Do any of you squat regularly with a yoke bar? I'm interested in hearing your feedback/impressions. Any tips you can recommend to a new yoke bar squatter?
Only way I squat now.

I actually place my hands on the bar catches so I can lean a little more forward. That puts pretty much all the tension you could want on the quads.

Only way I squat now.

I actually place my hands on the bar catches so I can lean a little more forward. That puts pretty much all the tension you could want on the quads.

Look up 'Hayfield squat' on Youtube when you have some time, Monte. Looks like a great way to overload the quads. I'm going to give these a go next time.

Didn't bring anything up
Look up 'Hayfield squat' on Youtube when you have some time, Monte. Looks like a great way to overload the quads. I'm going to give these a go next time.

Ahhhh hatfield not hayfield

That's exactly what I do. Didn't know it had a name.

Didn't bring anything up

Ahhhh hatfield not hayfield

That's exactly what I do. Didn't know it had a name.

That's right, "Hatfield squat". Good lookin out. "Hayfield squat" probably yielded something entirely different in the search result, lol.

SSB Bar is what I use almost exclusively when my elbow tendinitis flares up from too much pressing.

Only real tip with using the SSB is to not pull down on the handles. It's almost instinctual to do for most people.

Hatfields are a good overload squat. Though can be awkward to do or set-up for if you don't have a proper rack. You can attach another set of bar clips to the other side of the rack, set a bar into it at mid-height and use that as your support.

SSB Bar is what I use almost exclusively when my elbow tendinitis flares up from too much pressing.

Only real tip with using the SSB is to not pull down on the handles. It's almost instinctual to do for most people.

Hatfields are a good overload squat. Though can be awkward to do or set-up for if you don't have a proper rack. You can attach another set of bar clips to the other side of the rack, set a bar into it at mid-height and use that as your support.
I find this variation much much more comfortable then a traditional squat too.

Once you learn to balance the bar without your hands, which imo is easier the heavier you go, it's a better focus on the quads and, doesn't stress the lower back since you are basically supporting yourself with your arms to an extent.

The only time I have issues is with the initial unrack if I'm going heavy. I'm in between catches at my gym (we've got hooks not the adjustment catches) and I have to tip toe to get out or, squat it up which puts be in a bad position to back out.

I use the ssb at times but I actually like the zercher squat I can really feel it in the quads just like the ssb

IML Gear Cream!
I find this variation much much more comfortable then a traditional squat too.

Once you learn to balance the bar without your hands, which imo is easier the heavier you go, it's a better focus on the quads and, doesn't stress the lower back since you are basically supporting yourself with your arms to an extent.

The only time I have issues is with the initial unrack if I'm going heavy. I'm in between catches at my gym (we've got hooks not the adjustment catches) and I have to tip toe to get out or, squat it up which puts be in a bad position to back out.

If there's any back discomfort, a belt squat is even better. It's a very rare machine to find. But there's ways to make your own with a weight belt.

If there's any back discomfort, a belt squat is even better. It's a very rare machine to find. But there's ways to make your own with a weight belt.

The Pit Shark by Rogue Fitness? We have one in our gym.

I only squat with a ssb these days. I have long legs and the ssb bar puts more stress on my quads and less on my low back and ass. I like the look of the Hatfield squat, and think that I can set something up on the power rack at my gym.

Back