• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Time between sets?

tazmaniac

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
The time between sets at my home gym is definitely slower than at the gym..
I’m quite aware of the intensity Between the set intervals closer is better then farther and typically at home I’m noticing a 2-3 minute intervals, the workouts in the end last longer I’m still pumped but wtf I have all day.
Or should I keep the shorter intervals between and stay off my phone between sets :)

My girl and I have been doing home workouts and doing as many reps as we can in 1 min with a 20sec rest. Getting around 20-25 sets in each workout. Obv I have to use lighter weights but I never train this way and it’s kicking my ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I pretty much just go by if I've caught my breath yet. Also a lot easier to superset at home. That helps a ton.

I'm in this camp for the most part. But there's also a pool table next to the weights, so sometime set timing goes completely out the window

I used to be very strict even at home with allowing only 30 seconds between sets, timed with my watch. Some times heavy leg work would cause me to allow up to 45 seconds between sets when I really got winded. But a few years ago, a guy in work asked me to join him and three other guys during our 15 minute break in sets of push ups right there in the machine shop we work in. Well our breaks soon turned into 20-25 minute breaks, because there were five of us taking our turn doing push-ups, and due to me having to wait for four other guys to complete their sets of push-ups, I was waiting up to two minutes between sets. After participating in that routine for about a few weeks, I noticed that I was making some very good progress, that I never did when I would work with just one training partner, and allowing only 30-45 seconds between sets. So now when I workout alone at home, I usually allow 90 seconds between sets, and sometimes even 2 minutes with heavier weight. It seems to work pretty good for me that way.

But either way, I think it's good to change things up every 4-8 weeks anyway, and do something your body isn't use to. It also could help to keep your mind and enthusiasm in it too, since you're not doing the exact same thing year in and year out.

IML Gear Cream!
Til you get your breath back is a good one. If you're using lighter weights or body weight, like the lads are saying, have a shorter rest. You want to keep the intensity up to ensure your muscles are working as hard as they would if you were training heavy in the gym.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3e30/9228d037f1638e5da05743fb7b17b4fda692.pdf

This paper is pretty cool - just identifies you can train lighter with high volume and maintain mass.
[/FONT]

So you're the guy hogging the only squat rack in the gym for 30+ minutes.
My gym has four squat rack/DL platforms. A group of fat Asian powerlifters, who aren't very powerful at all, hog up two racks at a time, sometimes for 90 mins. I've timed their breaks between sets, 12-15 mins on "heavy" days, lol

I Didn't Choose the Swolle Life, The Swolle Life Chose Me

Depends how heavy I am lifting.

40 seconds to 2 minutes rest between each set if I am training in the 8-20 rep range. (depends on the exercise)

If training heavy in the 3-10 rep range . Rest time for me is between 2 minutes and 6 minutes. Depends on the exercise. I follow PHAT style training. So on my heavy days with progressive overload as my focus i will follow 2-6 minute rest between sets. Hypertrophy days are under 2 minute rest each set

German volume training 10 reps 10 sets
Start with a load that allows you 20 reps (this may equate to around 60 percent of your max), but perform only 10. The weight will feel too light for the first couple of sets, but, as you begin to fatigue, you’ll struggle, and you may not be able to get all 10 reps by the 5th or 6th set. That’s okay, don’t decrease the weight.
As your nervous system adapts, you may find that your reps increase again by the last few sets. Just keep aiming for 10 reps, and make note of how many reps you get each set. When you can do all 10 sets for 10 reps, increase the weight by 5 percent the next time you do the workout.
This can also be done for 8x8 or 7x7 just decrease the time. Example if its 8x8 rest 40 seconds between sets.

3-4 minutes between sets and exercises that way I’m as strong as possible on everything. Warm up sets are 1minute,1min30sec,2min,2.30,3,3.30

Back