• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Power lifter -> Bodybuilder: From the Hospital to the Stage

ckcrown84

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome back. Let me tell you, it feels good to be back, healthy, and most of all to share my journey with all of you!

Too often people face a setback and just give up, they stop training, they allow their situation to become worse. Well, not this guy. I try to frame things positively.

In November I was deep in my powerlifting quest, my goal has been to hit a 501.6lbs-512lbs raw bench at 198lbs or lower in competition which would put my top 50 in the world regardless of federation. My best bench ever was 501.6 in the 220 class and prior to getting sick I had hit 490lbs at 210lbs in a competition. This was a stepping stone meet as I prepared for February 1 2020.

Unfortunately, things derailed and I became very ill with Influenza and a bad case of Pneumonia. Sounds standard, unfortunately for me with my Asthma this resulted in a progression of the sickness that got so bad my body went septic and I had to be hospitalized and put on oxygen, antibiotics, and very harsh steroids (no, not the fun ones). I lost over 25lbs and by the time I was released from the hospital I was down a solid 25lbs. Before they released me, they ensured I was able to eat and walk again so I had gained some weight back. It was quite scary. Toward the end of my stay they were even feeding me Large portions of healthy food by hospital standards.

To add a messed-up twist to the tale, someone online even started a fundraiser for my recovery and hospital bills and turns out they may have run it as a scam and may be keeping the money. The details there are still being worked out with Facebook and I am waiting to see if I receive those funds.

I am SHOCKED how much weight I lost and how much the corticosteroids shriveled me up, but I am taking this opportunity to rebuild healthier, stronger, and smarter. Time to work on my weaknesses before I work on my strengths. This journal here will detail that journey and be an HONEST and hopefully powerful message for all of you on how you can make a comeback from whatever obstacles you face.
During this period I am going to take a bit of a step back from the powerlifting goal and focus on some bodybuilding, but keep in mind much of my training will have a powerful powerlifting influence.
I am certified in nutrition, have 10+ years’ experience training and quite a bit of knowledge on strength training and periodization. I hope to share this information with all of you and look forward to sharing information and helping with everyone’s training and programming.

I am a regular joe like you. I don’t have amazing genetics, I don’t have a “gift.” I have been training since I was 17 and I am 35. Unfortunately for me to “make it” I have to have it all dialed in. I live I regimented life, I eat 6 meals a day, I do my cardio, I follow strict and programmed training programs. I, like many of you, have to bust my ass achieve my goals. So, I hope in some ways we can all relate. I simply can’t relate to some people who got the gift and can drink a 12 pack and still have shredded abs. lol. Sorry!

So lets talk expectations, I expect YOU as a subscriber to participate in this thread. Ask questions and engage. Let’s learn, not lurk.
I am open to criticism, but don’t be mad if I don’t necessarily listen.

To be clear I will be running PSL gear in the near future, I will discuss it and will be open to all questions on supplementation on this forum. However, if somehow you find me outside of this forum I will not answer supplementation questions and all content on here is for informational and educational purposes only within a entertainment context. Don’t do illegal things in your home country 😊
Much Love
-Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_9795.jpg
    IMG_9795.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
Glad to see this posted up! I’ll def he watching like many of us will be I’m sure. Can’t wait to see what you can do bro.

Attached is a picture of my bench training block and how things are laid out, phase 1 will look something like this with distinct blocks

Hypertrophy Phase 1
Baseline WeekIntroAccumulateIntensificationDeload
2 weeks4 Weeks2 Weeks
Main Movement Intensity Range70%70%70-80%
Volume Bonus (from base)Add 1 setAdd 2-3 setsDrop Sets
Add Cardio Component
Minimum Volume2 sets 8-15 reps
Maximum Volume?NA4-5 sets4-5 sets + drop

Notice each phase in this block has certain elements, we are adding volume across time leading up to a deload.

The goal with programming like this is to have quality volume that accumulates over time, you are stimulating muscle and increasing that stimulus as the weeks go on, thus adhering to the principle of overload.

Attached is a video, so you get an idea of how I lift and how things should look following this type of programming. Only thing I pushed a bit is on my 3rd movement on chest (incline machine) I did some little half reps at the end on my last set (not every set). I am careful to not add too much fatigue. Its not what you can do in the gym, its what you can recover from! If you are curious on recover modalities and training let me know, but definitely give a google search to the "SRA Curve." when applied to training.

I am really enjoying what Dr. Mike Israetel calls the Chest Hypertrophy Sandwhich. This is where you do a Compound, an isolation, followed by a slightly easier compound. So for me that looked like:
Bench
Chest Adduction (which I used a specialty bench bar for, but sometimes also do flyes...I switch the adduction movement between 2-3 options)
Then another compound, this time I opted for the incline machine, but I sometimes do dumbbells.
This sequencing of workouts I am finding to be very effective, then I do a finisher...pushups which I have been a long term advocate for.

You will notice on my programming that I am alternating week to week my main chest movement, between a 3x3 flat bench and a higher rep range incline press. My main goal right now is hypertrophy so benching will remain every other week and the focus will be on speed and technique. I am thinking by week 8 my bench will be around 375-390lbs for very smooth speedy reps. We shall see.

The incline press I have to figure out which angle is the most friendly for my shoulder, hopefully I don't need to get too creative. I have a bad right shoulder which has been finnicky lately (Its a long term issue, clipped a tree snowboarding as a kid and its never been the same sense, its usually fine but once I "tweak" it the thing can become challenging for a month or two).

Let's talk training. Review my programming and feel free to ask questions!

Block periodization is my baby.

Attachments

• BenchBlock1.PNG
    BenchBlock1.PNG
    58.4 KB · Views: 159
https://youtu.be/CrnOzGpNCfw

Well today was my first real squat session back, surprised how the weight was so challenging!

December 15th I was at 405lbs for 10 reps, today...315 for 7!
Ouchy!!!

But on the bright side, through this mesocycle of training things will come back fast!

Today’s workout:
4x2
1x”Max” reps leaving one in the tank
Dumbbell split squat 3x12-15 rep range
Then super set glute bridge with leg curls.

Simple workout as I’m still in my introductory phase of training, week after next we kick it up a notch and I will be introducing another movement after squats and before split squats, likely hack squats or some variation thereof!

Hope everyone’s weekend went well!!!

IMG_0038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to share a client/girlfriend's training video.
Today called for 5x3 for her, and I wanted to give some workout progression advice, or food for thought! So here is a little bit of an explanation on how we do things for her.

First we established a baseline, depending on their coordination, experience, and safety (I wouldn't do this for someone who can't execute the basic movement pattern halfway correctly) I would just have them take a max squat. See how strong they are.
From there I would begin training around 77.5% of that number.

Once we have a starting point I would do 4 week waves.
Week 1: 77.5%
Week 2: +5lbs
Week 3: +5lbs
Week 4: +5lbs
Week 5: Deload - 50-60% of 1Rm
Week 6: Start around week 2 MAYBE week 3
REPEAT

This is a simple conservative linnear progression that 95% of people will have no problem keeping up with, and if executed properly will be challenging, stimulating, and if you need a smidge extra challenge introduce a little bit of tempo on the eccentric.

After that main movement we do accessories and secondary movements. Most of these movements would be performed in the 8-15 rep range.

Personally, I like week 1 to start closer to the 15 side of things, then over 4 weeks you add a small amount of weight so that by the end your reps drop to 8-10 reps because the weight has gotten progressively heavier. Sticking to 3-4 sets.
Before the deload week I may throw in a drop set or something to really provide an overloading stimulus before the recovery week. Push it A LOT more because you have that entire easy week to recover.

My recomended general workout?

5x3 squat starting at 77.5% 5x3
Hack Squat 2x15
Dumbbell Lunges 3x15
Glute Bridge
Leg Extensions
Stretch / Mobility drill

If executed properly that simple workout is actually quite challenging.

These videos are awesome man I had a feeling you would be real deal with this! I’m pumped for you to make this progress!

Back training day, fast approaching. Wanted to post up my pre-workout meal on a "standard" workout day.

Food (this is meal 4): 1 cup rice, 5oz 93/7 ground beef
Simple Sugar: a few skittles, because umm I like desert bro.

Shake, this shake is usually spread out throughout the day, usually most consumed around 12pm, sometimes not. Work happens. 2% Milk and 50ish grams of Protein Powder (animal protein is my preference).

Tomorrow is my high carb day, and I will post up my strategy there.

Today each of my 3 meals at work contained 1 cup of rice with 5oz of 93/7 beef.

No, I don't do plain white rice with dry ass ground beef. I am in it to win not in it to be miserable lol. The calorie difference is like 20 calories. whoopedy do.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134

Monday is back day, too many people bench on this day :) haha
Today I hit my light chest day, and it is also my super high carb day. YAY!!!

Enjoy the video, let me know if you have any questions!

Workout, * denotes super set

Monday:
Chest Supported Row With Tempo 4x8-10
*Pull Downs full stretch 4x8-10
*Machine Pull Over 4x-10-12
Pullups Assisted 4x15 reps

That is it, short and simple. I am still in my introductory phase. I also hit back a little again on Wednesday/Thursday but not a lot. Stimulate not annihilate

Meal 1 on my high carb day is pretty fatty, which will need to change if I start using slin again, but here goes meal two

Meal 2 (goal 100-120 carbs)
A bit over 1 cup of rice probably 1.5 with 5oz of 93/7 lean beef.

1 scoop of Gatorade powder with water
Skittles for desert

2 more meals to go at work, gym at 4pm for my high volume chest day.

My next meal will have a larger portion of protein in the form of a supplemental shake.

IMG_0089.jpg

mmm love Skittles!

Here's to the great comeback. Tear shit up and go get it!

Thank you man !

Anytime brother and setbacks are easily overcome so this will only get you even more stoked up. I had my own share of setbacks both major and minor but kept soldiering on!

Thursday + Friday are my recovery days.
Yesterday was another lower body day, nothing impressive and didn't record anything. I am still in my introductory phase so volumes/workouts are justtttt enough to get a little sore. Next week is week 2 of introductory phase and then we kick things up a notch week after next (starting February 8th)

Yesterdays workout:
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3x10
Safety Squat Bar Single Leg Squats 4x8-10
Squat Machiny Thingy (I will take a video next week) but I love this damn thing. 4x15
Then I little upper back and pullups to polish things off.

Woke up this morning minimally sore which means my volume landmarks are just right. A bit tight but not annihilated.

Thursday + Friday I reduce carbs and increase vegys so i stay nice and full and want to cheat less lol. I also do some cardio tonight and tomorrow.

Saturday starts the beginning of week 2.

Wanted to share this video. A little variation I am working on in the hopes of working on scapular stability by doing a shrug/scapular retraction with an unstable element. Could be bullshit, could pan out.
Sometimes you gotta leave exercise science alone and play, just don't play with important movements or things that have high injury risk potential )

The couple behind me, train very poorly. But the girl is amazingly gorgeous. I assure you, she would have that body regardless of working out or not. lol.
In any case they are inspiring an educational post in the near future about training to failure and how it is mostly dumb. They are constantly spotting each other and train to failure on everything. Not the smartest. I promise.

Anyway, growing season is here I am ready for week 2 and pumped for week 3 when I layer on some additional workouts and really start accumulating volume.

Last edited:
Nice video but that girl in the background stealthily steals the show :)

Not gonna lie guys, she’s a bad bitch lol

Lol...I am sure every guy in there would be watching her!

Your comeback seems to be coming along nicely and bet by now you are almost your old self again.

Nice video but that girl in the background stealthily steals the show :)

wait a minute was this one of those videos where someone was attempting to display an exercise movement? Because I'm still looking for..hahaha

Haha you almost get used to it, this gym is crawling with “models” and borderline celebs

South Florida 🦾 Boca Raton

Haha you almost get used to it, this gym is crawling with “models” and borderline celebs

South Florida 料 Boca Raton

I can get used to it..:twothumbs:
RfHV7eb.png

Welcome back CK! And yes...the azz on that chick! Wow

who’s this weird guy in this lovely girls video?

Right?!? Haha... ROTFLMBO

But on a serious note I'm actually yet to try that movement with the straps. That's interesting, and I'm willing to give that a shot for shock value.
It's interesting, it looks like a different type of activation.. I'm down with it..

Back