• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

ART Topic 10/9/18 Worst gym injury

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Thank you @Milfordking for the topic this week!

What is the worst injury you've ever had in the gym or from the gym and how did it happen?

What did you do to help recovery and any tips on a strategy to avoid this type of injury in the future.

@sherk
@toureagv8
@REHH
@skipfoursome
@garlicchicken
@tren2k14
@jerseydevil
@Oldschool
@ldog
@vision

I have lots of injuries and broken bones but most is from adrenaline sports. Worst injury from the gym would have to be a torn groin muscle from heavy leg presses, i kept reinjuring it trying to start back training too early, took almost a year to fully recover.

Now these days I keep injuring my left shoulder, neck and low back in the gym but these injuries were originally from sports and vehicle accidents.

Suck a dick.... only vets Are aloud to post?
Thank you @Milfordking for the topic this week!

What is the worst injury you've ever had in the gym or from the gym and how did it happen?

What did you do to help recovery and any tips on a strategy to avoid this type of injury in the future.

@sherk
@toureagv8
@REHH
@skipfoursome
@garlicchicken
@tren2k14
@jerseydevil
@Oldschool
@ldog
@vision

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The worst injury I have ever gotten from the gym was doing flat barbell bench pressing.. a lot of injuries often occur from Simply genetics and something that people may be predisposed to. My father and my brother had shoulder problems throughout their lives, I myself would have problems as well but I would try to lift through them. By the grace of God I never needed corrective surgery.. it literally has nothing to do with bad form, or elbows flaring, or hand positioning or the path of motion. I'm just genetically predisposed.. during my younger years I always have the attitude of pressing through it, even during days I didn't feel it that doesn't mean I wasn't contributing to further damage. I'm sure some of you guys got some pretty awful stories, but mine is just due to stupidity of resorting to a specific movement that I'm limited to. I do a lot more rehab cables for my shoulder, all Hammer presses and cable movements/machines for my chest, no hyperextending or anything and I have 0 problems..

My injury was not an accident it was stupidity!

Tie between torn triceps tendon and cracked vertebrae.
Take plenty of rest in between sets especially when doing dead lifts and power cleans (neither of which I can do anymore).
Don't do reverse grip free weight bench. Takes pressure off of your shoulders but puts a great deal of targeted pressure on your triceps. If you must do it, start with extremely light weight and build your way up every time you do it (and go down sloooowly).
BPC 157 seems to help the healing process as well as low dose GH. I had surgery on my triceps tendon (drilled holes in my elbow and reattached) in early June. Just the other day I was back to free weight benching 225 for reps. I couldnt even lift the bar until mid August so recovery has gone quite well.
I injured my back in the 90s - didnt opt for surgery- its the never been the same but I know what I have to avoid in order to not tweak it. Wont opt for back surgery until it affects my QOL.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
1994 - Herniated discs, L4/5-L5/S1 Doing heavy bent over barbell rows with shit form. Learned very early on not to lift with your ego as I ended up with a life-long injury as a result. Rehab was a lot of walking and stretching and took months. Never fully recovered and ended up having surgery in 2002 after blowing the same discs out again when I slipped on wet pavement walking to my building one morning before work. Now suffering with degenerative disc disease, osteophytes, spinal stenosis, and arthritis.

2013 - Partially separated right shoulder doing heavy t-bar rows with shit form. Made the mistake of taking a tip from a pro bodybuilder in a video where he suggested rounding the shoulders at the bottom of the movement to get a better stretch. Turns out rounding the shoulders put the joint in the perfect position to pull it out of the socket. I felt a pop, then I felt it separate. Blood pooling occurred around the tricep area shortly thereafter, but no indication of a muscle tear. Used ice and anti-inflammatories initially and took a couple weeks off from the gym.

rotator cuff injury likely from too heavy flat BB presses - 1.5 years to recover and I cannot flat BB press at all now
two hernated discs likely from too heavy and deep hack squats. - 9 months of level 10 pain. This one I was unable to work around so I lost a ton of progress =(

Bottom line is guys need to lift lighter as they age and be super careful about form because age will catch up to you eventually. These days I train in the 12-15 rep range.

rotator cuff injury likely from too heavy flat BB presses - 1.5 years to recover and I cannot flat BB press at all now
two hernated discs likely from too heavy and deep hack squats. - 9 months of level 10 pain. This one I was unable to work around so I lost a ton of progress =(

Bottom line is guys need to lift lighter as they age and be super careful about form because age will catch up to you eventually. These days I train in the 12-15 rep range.
my exact story

flat BB is out the winder for me.. my rep range is 12-15 (10 reps if I'm shortening intervals between sets, but weight isn't changing much)

No deads, racks or BB squats for me either.. in lieu Leg press machine,leverage squat machine, and smith machine leg presses is mostly what I employ

The worst and only injury that I've had in over 20 years was recent. I'm not sure how it happened so I reevaluated everything. My recent injury was a left bicep strain that radiated into my elbow area. After Physical Therapy to include Graston techniques and stimulation, I'm almost back to normal.

My advice is to pace yourself...the weight will come..just be patient. Don't underestimate the value of physical therapy and massages on a bi-monthly basis. Be very cautious when using compounds such as Superdrol and other compounds that boost strength fast. Your tendons have a tendency to take more time to adapt to heavy weight versus your muscles. This is a recipe for disaster if your not smart. Also...stretching is very important....it becomes increasingly harder to remain flexible as you add muscle. If you do sustain an injury, make sure you know the compounds that drastically boost your IGF-1 and incorporate these compounds into your protocol.

L

Whew, where to start. Mine are mostly not "in the gym" but are exercise related for the most part.

Left shoulder AC separation. Happened doing rear DB flyes face down on incline bench, pin wasn't in place properly and slipped. Hyperextended the shoulder with a 20lb dumbbell in my hand. Couldn't lift my arm for two weeks. Happened when I was 19-20. Army doc said "800mg Motrin 3x daily and drink more water." Thing is still jacked to this day

Herniated disc in lower back. Deadlifting 405 for reps, think I weighed 142 or so at the time. Got a tiny bit sloppy after the 6th rep and bam! Couldn't hardly walk for a week, had to wear a support for over a month

Hyperextended/broken right elbow. Arm bar during amateur MMA fight. Ended up getting out of it but arm was dead and I ended up losing by TKO because my arm wouldn't work. I should've tapped before it popped but my ego got in my way. Never really treated right, still messed up to this day. This is the same arm that continually gets tendonitis like tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and in the digital extensors. This ended up happening again to the same arm sparring.

Grade-2 stress fractures in both legs from ankle to knee. Started as posterior compartment syndrome from running with a heavy ruck for about 10 miles. Let it go until I couldn't walk. I can't run at all anymore without it flaring up.

Fractured knee. Bad landing on a night jump, wind shifted and a guy below stole my air. Landed in a perfect squat position. Great form, not so great when falling out of the sky. Still causes lot of issues with squatting

Severe neck injury from falling off of a building. Three weeks later got smashed in a MRAP that got hit by IED. Permanent stenosis, a syringomyelia in my spinal cord, multiple herniated discs, etc. Causes pain, numbness, and tingling in my arms and effects lifting.

Tore ulnar nerves off the muscle in both arms moving a steel pole that slipped off the forklift. Reinjured it a few times lifting, especially bb curls.

That's all I can think of right now...lol

^ Nothing but respect for the sacrifices you have made for our country, GC. Thank you and may God bless you, sir.

I feel you bro. I only listed my gym injury not my military stuff. Anyway, I understand better than most. 💪 Much Respect.

Whew, where to start. Mine are mostly not "in the gym" but are exercise related for the most part.

Left shoulder AC separation. Happened doing rear DB flyes face down on incline bench, pin wasn't in place properly and slipped. Hyperextended the shoulder with a 20lb dumbbell in my hand. Couldn't lift my arm for two weeks. Happened when I was 19-20. Army doc said "800mg Motrin 3x daily and drink more water." Thing is still jacked to this day

Herniated disc in lower back. Deadlifting 405 for reps, think I weighed 142 or so at the time. Got a tiny bit sloppy after the 6th rep and bam! Couldn't hardly walk for a week, had to wear a support for over a month

Hyperextended/broken right elbow. Arm bar during amateur MMA fight. Ended up getting out of it but arm was dead and I ended up losing by TKO because my arm wouldn't work. I should've tapped before it popped but my ego got in my way. Never really treated right, still messed up to this day. This is the same arm that continually gets tendonitis like tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and in the digital extensors. This ended up happening again to the same arm sparring.

Grade-2 stress fractures in both legs from ankle to knee. Started as posterior compartment syndrome from running with a heavy ruck for about 10 miles. Let it go until I couldn't walk. I can't run at all anymore without it flaring up.

Fractured knee. Bad landing on a night jump, wind shifted and a guy below stole my air. Landed in a perfect squat position. Great form, not so great when falling out of the sky. Still causes lot of issues with squatting

Severe neck injury from falling off of a building. Three weeks later got smashed in a MRAP that got hit by IED. Permanent stenosis, a syringomyelia in my spinal cord, multiple herniated discs, etc. Causes pain, numbness, and tingling in my arms and effects lifting.

Tore ulnar nerves off the muscle in both arms moving a steel pole that slipped off the forklift. Reinjured it a few times lifting, especially bb curls.

I feel you bro. I only listed my gym injury not my military stuff. Anyway, I understand better than most. Much Respect.
Thanks man. I want going to buy they're so pertinent to my training now with how they effect my training I figured why not. As you can see most of mine aren't lifting per se, but most invoice training of some sort. Maybe it'll help someone else not do the dumb stuff I've done in my life lol

The only injury I've had in all these years is a hamstring tear from deadlifting. I was warmed up so not sure what happened. Took a few months off deads while it healed.

My advice to prevent injuries is first and foremost PROPER FORM. From what I see at gyms, deadlifts (hyper extension, rolling shoulders at top), squats (leaning too far forward, butt hanging out), flat bench (less than 5 points of contact) and lateral raises (wounded bird trying to fly) are the worse.
Egos prevent seeking out help... everyone's an expert...

The second thing I would suggest is to PERIODIZE your training. A properly designed periodization program will balance training to failure with hypertrophy, and preperation with recovery.
Good luck everyone.
Be safe and smart!

Get Shredded!
Periodize? Is that like changing your routine/volume/intensity depending on individual goals on a regular basis? Like lift heavy low volume for 8 weeks then lift lighter high volume for 8 weeks then straight cardio for 2 weeks then compound lifts for reps for 4 weeks, then iso movements heavy low volume for 4 weeks? As in periods of time where your workouts differ from each other? Sorry, I’m a bit slow....honestly I underestimated how complex weightlifting/bodybuilding really is...I see why it’s important now as I’m older but when I was younger it was like “who cares as long as you look good and you’re doing something”..nah mean?......I think I should hire a reasonably priced coach....and a chef.....

I have lots of injuries and broken bones but most is from adrenaline sports. Worst injury from the gym would have to be a torn groin muscle from heavy leg presses, i kept reinjuring it trying to start back training too early, took almost a year to fully recover.

Now these days I keep injuring my left shoulder, neck and low back in the gym but these injuries were originally from sports and vehicle accidents.
Same with me. Most of my injuries are a result of flying through the air and landing hard.

All of these injuries were from separate incidents:
Broken clavicle
Head injury including a concussion that resulted in double vision
Hernia or tear of abdominal wall on both sides
Two shoulders that basically have had the shit beat out of them, no cartilage and bone spurs, right shoulder dislocates on certain movements
Two herniated discs L4/L5 and L5/S1 that are herniated on opposite sides and radiating pain down the leg and for a period of time had foot drop from pinched nerve.

As for injuries in the gym they have been minor. There is more than one way to achieve your goals. I never go for PRs, at least not with max weight as I find it counter productive. I go for higher volume to failure (within reason)

Even with the herniated discs, until three years ago I was deadlifting 405 for reps 3 X 8 (thanks tren :)). One day I just did not feel right about it and have not deadlifted since, and I have not suffered for it.

I feel like a pussy talking about my issues.

Mad props for doing what you do, most guys would call it quits.

How about a broken heart? :thinking:

Same with me. Most of my injuries are a result of flying through the air and landing hard.

All of these injuries were from separate incidents:
Broken clavicle
Head injury including a concussion that resulted in double vision
Hernia or tear of abdominal wall on both sides
Two shoulders that basically have had the shit beat out of them, no cartilage and bone spurs, right shoulder dislocates on certain movements
Two herniated discs L4/L5 and L5/S1 that are herniated on opposite sides and radiating pain down the leg and for a period of time had foot drop from pinched nerve.

As for injuries in the gym they have been minor. There is more than one way to achieve your goals. I never go for PRs, at least not with max weight as I find it counter productive. I go for higher volume to failure (within reason)

Even with the herniated discs, until three years ago I was deadlifting 405 for reps 3 X 8 (thanks tren :)). One day I just did not feel right about it and have not deadlifted since, and I have not suffered for it.

I feel like a pussy talking about my issues.

Mad props for doing what you do, most guys would call it quits.

Periodize? Is that like changing your routine/volume/intensity depending on individual goals on a regular basis? Like lift heavy low volume for 8 weeks then lift lighter high volume for 8 weeks then straight cardio for 2 weeks then compound lifts for reps for 4 weeks, then iso movements heavy low volume for 4 weeks? As in periods of time where your workouts differ from each other? Sorry, I’m a bit slow....honestly I underestimated how complex weightlifting/bodybuilding really is...I see why it’s important now as I’m older but when I was younger it was like “who cares as long as you look good and you’re doing something”..nah mean?......I think I should hire a reasonably priced coach....and a chef.....

You are on the right track.
Depending on your goals, sport and/or competition, periodization breaks up your training into cycles with each cycle reaching a peak then switch to another cycle which emphasizes a different aspect of training with the goal of reaching an overall peak.
This is how you can train 7 days a week without overtraining or chronic injuries.
An example for a weightlifter could be 1. A prep phase focusing on form and gradual weight increase. 2. Hypertrophy phase focusing on 8-12 reps with 30-60 second rest. 3. Strength phase focusing on 4-6 reps with 3-5min rest. 4. A recovery phase where you "recharge your batteries." This phase is the shortest as you do not want to loose adaptations.

I’m writing this in a journal...what would a recovery phase look like for the typical gym rat ‘body builder’? (As I involve isolated movements in with my compound movements- more of a bodybuilding workout rather than power lifter) thanks...prolly shoulda pmed you, but i already typed it up, sorry

It's so hard for me to stay in the gym consistently and train anywhere near 100%. I'm finding myself having to progressively back off my training; less weight, less volume, less intensity. It sucks.

It's so hard for me to stay in the gym consistently and train anywhere near 100%. I'm finding myself having to progressively back off my training; less weight, less volume, less intensity. It sucks.
I feel you brother...I have to start over, on top of a new career which is much more demanding...15 years of weight training and I’m starting from scratch...taking a lot of advice from you guys here regarding training, I feel as I progress from starting over that I’m better prepared , intellectually speaking, so it might be the best thing ever...time will tell...has a really intense workout today...kinda stole some ideas from people’s logs...low weight high volume...I was screaming,keep your head up Rehh!

When I get in that funk I completely revamp whatever my "current" routine is and switch up with movements that aren't commonly or ever used by myself in the past, it's like a change of scenery but within the same scenery.. sometimes I change the times I go as well, I can only do the mundane and regular way of life for so long.

I’m writing this in a journal...what would a recovery phase look like for the typical gym rat ‘body builder’? (As I involve isolated movements in with my compound movements- more of a bodybuilding workout rather than power lifter) thanks...prolly shoulda pmed you, but i already typed it up, sorry

Maybe switch to 3 days a week... drop deadlifts/squats... moderate cardio... more sleep... I usually dont go more than 2 weeks... try to let any pains heal up before I start up again. It's very personalized but I know when it's time to start again.
Good luck.

I feel you brother...I have to start over, on top of a new career which is much more demanding...15 years of weight training and I’m starting from scratch...taking a lot of advice from you guys here regarding training, I feel as I progress from starting over that I’m better prepared , intellectually speaking, so it might be the best thing ever...time will tell...has a really intense workout today...kinda stole some ideas from people’s logs...low weight high volume...I was screaming,keep your head up Rehh!

Its not so much mental, it's more physical, I keep getting injured when I try to push to 100% failure on some exercises. But it definitely is depressing and killing some motivation. Heavy Leg exercises like squats and leg presses will herniate disks in my back if I push to faliure, have to leave a few in the tank on all sets.

Back