• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

What exercises do you skip?

ilfirin

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Just curious what exercises you all skip and the reasoning behind it, whether it be injury prevention, don't feel the exercise is effective, etc.

Here are some popular ones I no longer do:

Straight bar bench press - Hurts my shoulders. Will do every once in a while, but most of the time I use a special bar with angled handles.
Straight bar deadlift - Hoping my new gym will have a hex bar. I'm only doing hex bar deadlift from now on because I'm tired of hurting my lower back.
Barbell curls - Hurts my forearms, whether its straight or EZ bar... still hurts. Only dumbbell bicep work for me, and some machines.
Upright rows - Bad for shoulder health.
Hanging cleans - Like straight bar deadlift, hurt my back too many times, no longer do this exercise.
Dumbbell pec flys - The mechanics of the lift are better using a cable machine.

Those are just a few exercises in my "iron graveyard." What are some of yours?

Last edited:
Behind the head presses. Seen too many guys jack up their shoulders and don't want to be one of them.

Squats

Reason why is the following. For some reason it fucking hurts so much like someone is stabbing me in this area. I don't know whats the area called. It hurts exactly when I squat.
IF76fID.png

Went to the doctor, he did all kinds of scans, nothing could be found. He gave me some exercises, been doing those and after that still same problem. I can squat perfectly but with like 5kg plates only. Which means like 20kg weight in total but (2x5kg + barbell 10kg) but with this I can make like 500 reps because it's too light weight for me so that's why I avoid it, not worth wasting time with 20kgs only. Other than that I do all the exercises I have no issues with it.

BB bench -- haven't torn anything but felt some interesting twinges and read too many horror stories... DB only now.

upright rows -- fucked up some left shoulder cartilage way back in my youth with basic lateral raises with VERY light weights, 15lb & 25lb, but I worked through the NO PAIN NO GAIN advice and made it worse and permanent, now upright rows hit that exact bone-on-bone spot, fuck that. Anyone else gotten this?

abs -- figure the big lifts hit them enough, only do abs weekly at most.

- - - Updated - - -

Squats

Reason why is the following. For some reason it fucking hurts so much like someone is stabbing me in this area. I don't know whats the area called. It hurts exactly when I squat.
IF76fID.png

Went to the doctor, he did all kinds of scans, nothing could be found. He gave me some exercises, been doing those and after that still same problem. I can squat perfectly but with like 5kg plates only. Which means like 20kg weight in total but (2x5kg + barbell 10kg) but with this I can make like 500 reps because it's too light weight for me so that's why I avoid it, not worth wasting time with 20kgs only. Other than that I do all the exercises I have no issues with it.

Have you tried a sports doc? Hard to believe it's an unsolvable mystery.

Never really liked DB flys. Felt it more in my shoulder than my chest. I stick to cables. Other than that..... not much I don't do.

BB bench -- haven't torn anything but felt some interesting twinges and read too many horror stories... DB only now.

upright rows -- fucked up some left shoulder cartilage way back in my youth with basic lateral raises with VERY light weights, 15lb & 25lb, but I worked through the NO PAIN NO GAIN advice and made it worse and permanent, now upright rows hit that exact bone-on-bone spot, fuck that. Anyone else gotten this?

abs -- figure the big lifts hit them enough, only do abs weekly at most.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried a sports doc? Hard to believe it's an unsolvable mystery.

I've been to at least 5 sport doctors, nothing so far. Maybe if I go sometime in the future outside my country I might visit there a doc and see what happens.

Never really liked DB flys. Felt it more in my shoulder than my chest. I stick to cables. Other than that..... not much I don't do.

You gotta squeeeeeze your pecs on the way up. I promise you'll feel em. They are a godsend for those not blessed with a big chest naturally. And yes they give you that "inner chest" cleavage more than just benching will.
Cable crossovers are great too. But I feel like I can go heavier on flyes.

You gotta squeeeeeze your pecs on the way up. I promise you'll feel em. They are a godsend for those not blessed with a big chest naturally. And yes they give you that "inner chest" cleavage more than just benching will.

I do db flyes both flat and incline...love em! On flyes I can use up to a 35lb db.

I never do:

- upright rows: it's more trap than delt for me

- front: seem pointless, never needed more front delt work

- rear delt raises: they're hit hard w/laterals and back work adding them in doesn't make a difference.

Behind the head presses. Seen too many guys jack up their shoulders and don't want to be one of them.

I do those but in front of my head as the behind the head ones kill my shoulders.

IML Gear Cream!
I skip:

Skullcrushers - get tendinitis in elbows
Lat pulldowns - kill my shoulders

Deadlifts. Rack deads are a better option if back development is the focus imo.

That's about it.

I mix them up as well...some days plain deads others rack pulls

Upright rows ... dB high pulls instead

pec flyes... use cables instead

Behind neck anything, I’m not flexible

Arm machines = dumb

behind the head triceps extensions = makes my head turn red and hard to breathe , don’t know why

most of my arm work is done on cables, gonna start putting close grip bench back in soon tho

Upright rows ... dB high pulls instead

pec flyes... use cables instead

Behind neck anything, I’m not flexible

Arm machines = dumb

behind the head triceps extensions = makes my head turn red and hard to breathe , don’t know why

most of my arm work is done on cables, gonna start putting close grip bench back in soon tho

Both with cables and DBs? That's interesting, hard to grok. I've found em pretty helpful added to other triceps work and no head rush issues, but back extensions always do that to me... and brown outs if I don't stand up VERY slowly, but I still do em.

I'll add them back in and start slow. Even when squeezing hard I feel it more in my front delts. I've been going about 80lbs on cable flys. If I grabbed 2 40dbs I'm not sure how it would feel. I have been focusing hard on inner chest lately so I'll try again. Thanks for the encouragement. How bent are your elbows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Try this, instead of holding the dumbbells with a neutral grip hold them like your doing a press. Pull down with your elbows on the downward movement. The stretch you feel is unreal. It totally isolates your chest. It takes all pressure off your shoulders and rotator cuffs.. it takes a few times to nail it but works great. I seen mountain dog talk about it in a training video he did. Been doing it that way for months now.

There are many exercises I don’t do but bench press is one I retired many years ago, I prefer to use DB’s and cables for chest.

I skip:

Skullcrushers - get tendinitis in elbows
Lat pulldowns - kill my shoulders

I can do behind the neck presses but they just got my traps more. I like Bradford presses where you alternate front then back.

Skullcrushers and tricep work in general I don't really do because after training chest and shoulders my tris are so pumped and weak, I can barely do 1-arm overhead extensions with a 25lb dumbbell so what's the point?

With my knees. Legs. Thankfully my calves are halfway decent.
With my elbow side lateral kills it
Here's what I do know. If you want to grow you're going to have to do the exercises that you don't want to do

I'll add them back in and start slow. Even when squeezing hard I feel it more in my front delts. I've been going about 80lbs on cable flys. If I grabbed 2 40dbs I'm not sure how it would feel. I have been focusing hard on inner chest lately so I'll try again. Thanks for the encouragement. How bent are your elbows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's cause you got them big ol' delts, you gotta try to tuck em back. Maybe pec decks would work better too, i just like the ROM freedom dumbbells provide. I bend my elbows a good amount at the bottom cause if not it stresses my shoulder and limits ROM. I'm not worried hitting the outer chest I'm just going for the squeeze because my inner chest always lags.

I've dropped many of the same lifts already mentioned. I use specialty bars for bench (no straight barbells due to shoulder issues) and a hexbar for deadlift (issues with lower back in the past and do not want to relive those). I had dropped overhead presses completely at one point due to right shoulder pain, but I found a good PT and he was able to get me back to pressing again. I just am extra careful and keep the weight lower with higher reps.

Abs. I prefer to do them after and then when I’m spent from weights, I blow them off. I only really get to them when in focused prep mode.

Here is a good video on YouTube explaining why dumbbell flys aren't a great exercise.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6rr5p1jCZC4

Lol! I knew it was going to be that Athlean guy.
It could be argued that pretty much every exercise is bad for you. That and using weight greater than necessary for your body’s daily mobility.
Dumbbell flys are great for those of us without naturally thick chests. They really improve the overall appearance.

I, as of late have skipped abductor/adductor machines. Now I am paying The soreness price!

Max

I usually leave biceps for last because I feel they are the least important and if I'm too tired from bench, squat, deads etc no big deal , but I've been doing some light sets in the end lately.

Back