• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Thicker upper lats?

thegame

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey Guys,
What do you guys do to get your upper lats thicker? not so much middle or lower but the outer upper lat?

Thanks

Whatever you feel there the most. I think it depends heavily on you muscle insertions and unique ranges of motion.

Are you talking about actual lats or rhomboids/upper back?

Whatever you feel there the most. I think it depends heavily on you muscle insertions and unique ranges of motion.

Are you talking about actual lats or rhomboids/upper back?

Lats for sure, looking at my back in a pic it seems I need to thicken my outer lat, it is wide, but need thickness improved, if I am looking at things right lol.

Ah. Then I'd say Meadows rows and pendlay rows are my go to for that. I also like to finish with a cable variation where I attach two single handles to the bottom of an adjustable cable machine, and stand in a row position and row from a complete stretch all the way in. You'll feel what I'm talking about when you do it. Gives me a stupid pump in my lats

try holding your long stretch contraction for a prolonged time per rep, I don’t know if this is you but I see many people with great form and good activation start the concentric motion all too quick, a lot happens in the long stretch if you let it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I am going to go to the gym tomorrow, which I usually have weekends off and hit back again to try some of the recommendations said here.

Thanks again

Thanks guys! I am going to go to the gym tomorrow, which I usually have weekends off and hit back again to try some of the recommendations said here.

Thanks again

Let us know how it goes.

When I first started all the bodybuilders with great backs did wide grip chins.Really stretching at the bottom.Seems to be a bit of a forgotten exercise now.

IML Gear Cream!
Wide grip pull-ups and wide grip heavy pulldowns. I have also noticed a visual change from barbell rows. I know that last one that is not supposed to result in upper back width, but for some reason adding those into my workout, and sticking with them from embarrassing light weights (from never having done them in my life) to heavier weights has made an actual visible difference in the width of my upper lats. I do them bent over a little further than most of the guys I see on Youtube videos (I touch the ground or come very close when stretching at the bottom) and pull low into the bottom of my abdomen. I stretch as far as I can and pull my shoulders back when squeezing at the top. Well, that is my experience whether it goes against the conventional wisdom or not.

As to wide grip pulldowns, I found this machine that I had to use out of necessity and grew to love Cybex VR3 lat pulldown. It has wide levers and a stack of weights. I had to work out at a gym for a while where that was the only real option, but I soon discovered that this machine resulted in being able to load it heavy, then pull and squeeze my lats and think about nothing else while using it. It always flushes the upper lats with blood and swells them up.

Last edited:
Ok guys I tried everything mentioned my back is on fucking fire! I did an hour and half only back lol, I made damn sure I had complete stretch, and squeezed on my last few reps and held hard, I like everything mentioned but the pendlay rows, I even did one The Rock mentioned a couple days ago and fucking love it! A guy and lady at the gym said nothing is wrong with my back it’s huge, so I need to learn to flex it properly and have you guys tell me, I finished everything up with what Rock did and the dumbbell pullovers, like I said I am a pumped mofo and on fire!

This is what The Rock does and fortunately we have this Hammer Strength machine!

7a41442a4b7ba2e36a6be818345f6c56.jpg

try holding your long stretch contraction for a prolonged time per rep, I don’t know if this is you but I see many people with great form and good activation start the concentric motion all too quick, a lot happens in the long stretch if you let it.

Yes emphasize the stretch. Thick upper lats are basically your body's response to preventing you from ripping your arms out their sockets,so the more you scare your body into thinking that is a possibility, the thicker your lats will become. Lol

Yes emphasize the stretch. Thick upper lats are basically your body's response to preventing you from ripping your arms out their sockets,so the more you scare your body into thinking that is a possibility, the thicker your lats will become. Lol

I thought I do it already lol but it seems sometimes I do not, but today I focused in on it big time and what a fucking difference, as mentioned above.

Thanks

I thought I do it already lol but it seems sometimes I do not, but today I focused in on it big time and what a fucking difference, as mentioned above.

Thanks

You know how Jay Cutler kinda does a double hitch on the stretch on pulldowns? That really pounds the stretch reflex since it's the strongest part of the lift. I find myself doing it on the last few reps.

You know how Jay Cutler kinda does a double hitch on the stretch on pulldowns? That really pounds the stretch reflex since it's the strongest part of the lift. I find myself doing it on the last few reps.

You have a YouTube video link to that? Need to see that.

If you're lacking thickness from a front double biceps pose, I would start each back session with straight arm cable pullovers with your heels raised on a plate. Focus on the stretch at the top and a nice contraction. These can absolutely demolish upper lats.

Try super setting from late pull downs with "straight arm bar in front pull downs", also single handle side pull downs as well.. it really fires everything up! Use the rope too, switch things up.. and you can toss in some face rope pulls to fire up your read delts!
standing-lat-pulldown-300x225.jpg

If you're lacking thickness from a front double biceps pose, I would start each back session with straight arm cable pullovers with your heels raised on a plate. Focus on the stretch at the top and a nice contraction. These can absolutely demolish upper lats.

Is there a YouTube video showing this by any chance? Thanks

Hold at the stretch for 2-3 seconds and do all back movements thumbliss

Try super setting from late pull downs with "straight arm bar in front pull downs", also single handle side pull downs as well.. it really fires everything up! Use the rope too, switch things up.. and you can toss in some face rope pulls to fire up your read delts!
standing-lat-pulldown-300x225.jpg

This ^^^
Long straight bar. Gets right up in the armpits if your concentrating and squeezing

Back