• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Expanding my lungs (opinions)

Nocode8511

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have really focused my workouts around running the past few months, but I still can't breathe. I feel winded no matter if I run a mile or 5 miles.

I just picked this up http://www.expand-a-lung.com/?crtag=google1, opinions? I have ran with a snorkel before and I feel that it helped so this should be just as good.

Swimming brother. Long distance swimming. You Dont have to be a manual. You've done tris before I believe, what the hardest part? The swimming. Why? Cause we have to breath deep, rythmically, and at a pace set by the water...

I have nowhere to swim where I'm located now. I wish, because I love to swim. My workouts have had longer distance running and biking.

You have an opinion on that piece of equipment?

It seems to be basicaly a version of a spirometer, so it should exercise your lungs. I had some breathing issues a while back and was prescribed a spirometer to help with expanding my left lung and building the diaphragm and thoracic muscles which aid in breathing. My issue was a little different but in theory, the idea is the same, although mine eventually required a major surgery. I see no reason why it wouldn't help, but obviously you wouldnt want it as a stand alone tool. No substitute for for the real deal... keep running. Good luck.

FYI, I think the one they gave me cost about 10.00 at the pharmacy. It was a cheapo plastic deal that had a float inside it.

In healthy people, lungs are never the limiting factor in exercise.

If you are feeling winded, it's not your lungs, it's your cardiovascular system, ie you're out of shape.

Even at maximal effort, our lungs do their job and saturate the blood w adequate oxygen.

The limiting factors are:
-How much blood is pumped w each beat-stroke volume
-The density of red blood cells.
-The capacity of our working muscles to take in oxygen and utilize it. ie capillary density and mitochondria.

The point I'm making is that increasing your lung capacity will do nothing for cardio. You just have to keep working on improving the things listed above. HIIT is one of the most effective ways to boost your vo2max.

I've done hundreds of vo2 max tests as well as lung capacity tests. When I was in college I took a lot of bong rips, I mean thousands. My lung capacity was literally better than anyone in my lab and I was terribly out of shape.

Last edited:
The thing I do which really seems to help my lungs is holding my breath. I will stretch my arms out above me and suck in all the air I can. I will swallow mouth fulls of air to top my lungs off. Then I will hold it meanwhile stretching my arms shoulders. I will do it a few times during cardio each day for a week. By the end of the week my lungs fee great. It does cause some mild pain but its the good type

Start some light cardio and see where that goes, that should help clear your lungs out.

It seems to be basicaly a version of a spirometer, so it should exercise your lungs. I had some breathing issues a while back and was prescribed a spirometer to help with expanding my left lung and building the diaphragm and thoracic muscles which aid in breathing. My issue was a little different but in theory, the idea is the same, although mine eventually required a major surgery. I see no reason why it wouldn't help, but obviously you wouldnt want it as a stand alone tool. No substitute for for the real deal... keep running. Good luck.

FYI, I think the one they gave me cost about 10.00 at the pharmacy. It was a cheapo plastic deal that had a float inside it.

Thanks for the info I will keep this in mind.

In healthy people, lungs are never the limiting factor in exercise.

If you are feeling winded, it's not your lungs, it's your cardiovascular system, ie you're out of shape.

Even at maximal effort, our lungs do their job and saturate the blood w adequate oxygen.

The limiting factors are:
-How much blood is pumped w each beat-stroke volume
-The density of red blood cells.
-The capacity of our working muscles to take in oxygen and utilize it. ie capillary density and mitochondria.

The point I'm making is that increasing your lung capacity will do nothing for cardio. You just have to keep working on improving the things listed above. HIIT is one of the most effective ways to boost your vo2max.

I've done hundreds of vo2 max tests as well as lung capacity tests. When I was in college I took a lot of bong rips, I mean thousands. My lung capacity was literally better than anyone in my lab and I was terribly out of shape.

I will give HIIT a try. I am currently in the fire academy and doing a lot of cardio activity which is pretty much like HIIT. A lot of BW exercises with some kettle bell workouts 3 times a week. And I'm running 5 miles mon/wed/fri too.

The thing I do which really seems to help my lungs is holding my breath. I will stretch my arms out above me and suck in all the air I can. I will swallow mouth fulls of air to top my lungs off. Then I will hold it meanwhile stretching my arms shoulders. I will do it a few times during cardio each day for a week. By the end of the week my lungs fee great. It does cause some mild pain but its the good type

I will give this a try this week. I'm willing to try anything! Like I stated above I'm very active and not out of shape but I still can't breathe. Thanks

Start some light cardio and see where that goes, that should help clear your lungs out.

I'm passed light cardio and you can read above. I was just read to try some sprints for 30 secs, run for 1:00, sprint 30 secs, etc.

HIIT and swimming are perfect for this, and they've both already been mentioned!

Have you tried looking at places that aren't gyms for swimming? Talk with people in hotels or apartment complexes, if you're nice enough, they'll let you in for cheap.

Stop running and do some intervals bro. The approach to intervals and how to implement them in your training program is a long conversation but for a quick fix (albeit a grueling one) read up on the 15-15 kettlbell snatch program. You can do it once or twice a week in less than an hour and you'll have the work capacity of a fucking juggernaut! Plus I enjoy it a lot more than running because I at least get to lift a weight.

Back