Expanding my lungs (opinions)

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,792

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    101
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147183647

    Expanding my lungs (opinions)

    I have really focused my workouts around running the past few months, but I still can't breathe. I feel winded no matter if I run a mile or 5 miles.

    I just picked this up http://www.expand-a-lung.com/?crtag=google1, opinions? I have ran with a snorkel before and I feel that it helped so this should be just as good.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    GSRacer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anywhere it's cold and snowy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,585

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Re: Expanding my lungs (opinions)

    Swimming brother. Long distance swimming. You Dont have to be a manual. You've done tris before I believe, what the hardest part? The swimming. Why? Cause we have to breath deep, rythmically, and at a pace set by the water...
    TEAM GREEN

  3. #3
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,792

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    101
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147183647

    I have nowhere to swim where I'm located now. I wish, because I love to swim. My workouts have had longer distance running and biking.

    You have an opinion on that piece of equipment?

  4. #4
    Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    8448113

    It seems to be basicaly a version of a spirometer, so it should exercise your lungs. I had some breathing issues a while back and was prescribed a spirometer to help with expanding my left lung and building the diaphragm and thoracic muscles which aid in breathing. My issue was a little different but in theory, the idea is the same, although mine eventually required a major surgery. I see no reason why it wouldn't help, but obviously you wouldnt want it as a stand alone tool. No substitute for for the real deal... keep running. Good luck.

    FYI, I think the one they gave me cost about 10.00 at the pharmacy. It was a cheapo plastic deal that had a float inside it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    exphys88's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    243

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    237486272

    Expanding my lungs (opinions)

    In healthy people, lungs are never the limiting factor in exercise.

    If you are feeling winded, it's not your lungs, it's your cardiovascular system, ie you're out of shape.

    Even at maximal effort, our lungs do their job and saturate the blood w adequate oxygen.

    The limiting factors are:
    -How much blood is pumped w each beat-stroke volume
    -The density of red blood cells.
    -The capacity of our working muscles to take in oxygen and utilize it. ie capillary density and mitochondria.

    The point I'm making is that increasing your lung capacity will do nothing for cardio. You just have to keep working on improving the things listed above. HIIT is one of the most effective ways to boost your vo2max.

    I've done hundreds of vo2 max tests as well as lung capacity tests. When I was in college I took a lot of bong rips, I mean thousands. My lung capacity was literally better than anyone in my lab and I was terribly out of shape.
    Last edited by exphys88; 04-28-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Stateside
    Posts
    192

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    262220313

    The thing I do which really seems to help my lungs is holding my breath. I will stretch my arms out above me and suck in all the air I can. I will swallow mouth fulls of air to top my lungs off. Then I will hold it meanwhile stretching my arms shoulders. I will do it a few times during cardio each day for a week. By the end of the week my lungs fee great. It does cause some mild pain but its the good type
    Blah Blah Blah

  7. #7
    Uncle Z Representative
    BOARD REP


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    649

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1084846236

    Start some light cardio and see where that goes, that should help clear your lungs out.

  8. #8
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,792

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    101
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147183647

    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    It seems to be basicaly a version of a spirometer, so it should exercise your lungs. I had some breathing issues a while back and was prescribed a spirometer to help with expanding my left lung and building the diaphragm and thoracic muscles which aid in breathing. My issue was a little different but in theory, the idea is the same, although mine eventually required a major surgery. I see no reason why it wouldn't help, but obviously you wouldnt want it as a stand alone tool. No substitute for for the real deal... keep running. Good luck.

    FYI, I think the one they gave me cost about 10.00 at the pharmacy. It was a cheapo plastic deal that had a float inside it.
    Thanks for the info I will keep this in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by exphys88 View Post
    In healthy people, lungs are never the limiting factor in exercise.

    If you are feeling winded, it's not your lungs, it's your cardiovascular system, ie you're out of shape.

    Even at maximal effort, our lungs do their job and saturate the blood w adequate oxygen.

    The limiting factors are:
    -How much blood is pumped w each beat-stroke volume
    -The density of red blood cells.
    -The capacity of our working muscles to take in oxygen and utilize it. ie capillary density and mitochondria.

    The point I'm making is that increasing your lung capacity will do nothing for cardio. You just have to keep working on improving the things listed above. HIIT is one of the most effective ways to boost your vo2max.

    I've done hundreds of vo2 max tests as well as lung capacity tests. When I was in college I took a lot of bong rips, I mean thousands. My lung capacity was literally better than anyone in my lab and I was terribly out of shape.
    I will give HIIT a try. I am currently in the fire academy and doing a lot of cardio activity which is pretty much like HIIT. A lot of BW exercises with some kettle bell workouts 3 times a week. And I'm running 5 miles mon/wed/fri too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deltrain View Post
    The thing I do which really seems to help my lungs is holding my breath. I will stretch my arms out above me and suck in all the air I can. I will swallow mouth fulls of air to top my lungs off. Then I will hold it meanwhile stretching my arms shoulders. I will do it a few times during cardio each day for a week. By the end of the week my lungs fee great. It does cause some mild pain but its the good type
    I will give this a try this week. I'm willing to try anything! Like I stated above I'm very active and not out of shape but I still can't breathe. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by liftingiron View Post
    Start some light cardio and see where that goes, that should help clear your lungs out.
    I'm passed light cardio and you can read above. I was just read to try some sprints for 30 secs, run for 1:00, sprint 30 secs, etc.

  9. #9
    Super Mod McBain
    RAINier's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    4,174

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    HIIT and swimming are perfect for this, and they've both already been mentioned!

    Have you tried looking at places that aren't gyms for swimming? Talk with people in hotels or apartment complexes, if you're nice enough, they'll let you in for cheap.
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" -Jimi Hendrix
    PM me if you have any questions!

  10. #10
    Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    70

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    429597201

    Stop running and do some intervals bro. The approach to intervals and how to implement them in your training program is a long conversation but for a quick fix (albeit a grueling one) read up on the 15-15 kettlbell snatch program. You can do it once or twice a week in less than an hour and you'll have the work capacity of a fucking juggernaut! Plus I enjoy it a lot more than running because I at least get to lift a weight.

Similar Threads

  1. new here would like opinions
    By ytown25 in forum Source Checking & Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
  2. Marijuana smoking better for lungs than cigarettes
    By Arnold in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM
  3. Opinions please
    By Beastmode13 in forum Anabolic Steroids
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 03:41 AM
  4. Opinions of this Cylce
    By NeverGiveUp in forum Anabolic Steroids
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 05:17 AM
  5. Opinions
    By ItsMrGreen in forum Anabolic Steroids
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2019 Anabolic Steroid Forums