• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Parkland Officer Who Stayed Outside During Shooting Faces Criminal Charges

Arnold

🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Parkland Officer Who Stayed Outside During Shooting Faces Criminal Charges

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. — As bullets ricocheted and bodies fell in the hallways and classrooms at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last year, Deputy Scot Peterson was outside the building. Instead of storming in after the 19-year-old gunman, he retreated to a position of safety.

[Update: Scot Peterson appeared in court on Wednesday. Read the latest story and the three steps he is accused of missing.]

For more than a year after the February 2018 attack in Parkland, Fla., grieving parents have demanded that Mr. Peterson — along with the gunman who killed 17 and injured 17 — be held accountable in what would prove to be one of the nation’s worst school shootings. On Tuesday, law enforcement responded with a sweeping list of charges that resulted in Mr. Peterson’s arrest. His alleged crime: failing to protect the students.

America’s long history of mass shootings have brought a variety of responses: Calls for tighter gun laws, civil lawsuits against companies that manufacture guns and firearm components, collective mourning. But Tuesday’s charges represented a highly unusual case of a lawman arrested for failing to save lives.

Around Parkland, whose politically engaged students helped launch a national student movement for more gun control, there was both surprise and satisfaction.

“I have no comment except to say rot in hell,” Fred Guttenberg, who emerged as an outspoken gun control activist after his daughter, Jaime, died in the attack, wrote on Twitter. “You could have saved some of the 17,” Mr. Guttenberg added, addressing Mr. Peterson. “You could have saved my daughter. You did not and then you lied about it and you deserve the misery coming your way.”

Mr. Peterson, 56, who had been suspended in the immediate aftermath of the attack and later resigned, faces 11 charges of neglect of a child, culpable negligence and perjury. He was booked into the Broward County jail with a bond of $102,000.

The 15-month investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement that led to the charges, found that the former Broward County sheriff’s deputy, assigned as a school resource officer to Stoneman Douglas High, “did absolutely nothing to mitigate” the shooting, the department’s commissioner, Rick Swearingen, said in a statement. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives,” he said.

Officials determined that Mr. Peterson, as well as Sgt. Brian Miller, who was terminated on Tuesday but not charged, “neglected their duties.” Mr. Peterson was taken into custody after an administrative discipline hearing.

The charges were an unusual instance of law enforcement officers being held criminally liable for not protecting the public.

Civil lawsuits have become par for the course following mass shootings in the United States. Families of the victims and survivors themselves use litigation to hold institutions, both public and private, responsible for not keeping people safe, as well as to push for policy changes or to collect compensation for emotional and physical trauma or death.

But experts say that criminally charging a law enforcement officer for allegedly being negligent in his response to a mass shooting is new ground.

“This is the first time I have seen somebody so charged like this,” said Clinton R. Van Zandt, a former profiler with the F.B.I. and an expert on mass shootings. “I think that every police officer, sheriff and F.B.I. agent understands that you have to go to the threat and stop it and that we are no longer going to wait for SWAT or set up perimeters.”

The Department of Law Enforcement said its inquiry showed that Mr. Peterson did not investigate the source of the gunshots, retreated during the shooting while victims were still under attack and directed other law enforcement officers to remain 500 feet away from the building.

The sweeping investigation included interviews with 184 witnesses, along with reviews of video surveillance, to piece together what officials acknowledged was a slow and chaotic law enforcement response. Officials added a perjury charge alleging that Mr. Peterson knowingly made a false statement while under oath in stating that he did not hear shots fired after he arrived at the 1200 building, except for the first two or three shots he heard.

The warrant portrayed Mr. Peterson, the only armed guard on campus, as an officer with a wealth of active shooter training who knew the gunman was inside, but did not go in to try to stop him as he killed and injured students and staff. It details a series of students and faculty who remembered seeing Mr. Peterson outside.

One student, Arman Borghei, told investigators that during the shooting, he looked out a third-floor window and saw Mr. Peterson standing on the side of the 1200 building “with his gun drawn not really doing anything.”

Since he was first interviewed by Broward detectives two days after the killings, Mr. Peterson has said he did respond, by alerting the police, locking the school down and evacuating children in the courtyard. “There wasn’t even time to think,” Mr. Peterson told The Washington Post. “It just happened and I started reacting.”

He said he has run the shooting over and over in his head. “It was my job, and I didn’t find him,” he said of the gunman.

Mr. Miller, who was the first supervisor on the scene, had told investigators that he heard three or four gunshots as he was arriving and believed they were coming from outside the school building. The investigation found that he had gone behind his car, outside of campus, and put on his bulletproof vest, and did not make his first radio transmission to direct a response until five minutes after he arrived — 10 minutes after the first radio communications about the shooting.

Meanwhile, four officers from the nearby Coral Springs Police Department arrived and entered the building where the shooting was occurring, the investigation showed.

In January, Florida’s newly elected Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, suspended the Broward County sheriff, Scott Israel, citing neglect of duty and “incompetence.” He named as his replacement Gregory Tony, a former sergeant with the Coral Springs Police Department. In his new position, Sheriff Tony oversaw an internal investigation of seven deputies at the department, including Mr. Peterson.

Jeff Bell, the president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, expressed concern about the decision to charge Mr. Peterson, who was not a member of his organization. He argued that prosecutors had adopted a sweeping interpretation of the state’s negligence law that could put other officers at risk of charges in the future.

“I am worried that state attorneys and political officers can start to weaponize criminal charges against law enforcement if you don’t meet their threshold for what you do or should not do,” said Mr. Bell, who said he and others were still disappointed by Mr. Peterson’s response to the shooting.

Mr. Van Zandt said prosecutors appeared to be sending a message to the community that “we hear you are disappointed, and we will let the criminal justice system determine whether he made significant mistakes, whether perhaps he was a coward or not, or whether he acted properly with the information that he had.”

A lawyer for Mr. Peterson, Joseph A. DiRuzzo III, said Tuesday that the former deputy’s team would fight “these spurious charges that lack basis in fact and law.” He complained that the prosecution appeared to be “nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at politically motivated retribution against Mr. Peterson.”

“Today the individuals who have made this charging decision have taken the easy way out and blamed Mr. Peterson for the actions on February 14, 2018, when there has only ever been one person to blame — Nikolas Cruz,” Mr. DiRuzzo wrote in an open letter to “the South Florida community and the American public.”

Constitutional law, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, does not generally give people a right to expect the police to protect them against harm.

States can create obligations for the police under certain circumstances — for example, a crossing guard who is assigned to keep children from getting run over. But those would be civil liabilities, said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor at the University of Florida School of Law, not criminal ones.

Professor Hutchinson noted that the criminal statutes under which Mr. Peterson was charged for his behavior during the shooting, neglect of a child and culpable negligence, were not specifically drafted for law enforcement officers and are usually applied to parents. “Normally we don’t think of police officers as caregivers for children,” he said.

The culpable negligence charge would require proof of behavior so reckless, like driving down a crowded sidewalk, that it could be inferred that the accused intended harm, Professor Hutchinson said. “Under a civil standard that’s a very tough load, and now they’re turning to the criminal standard, which is somewhat tougher, because they have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” he said.

Andrew Pollack, whose 18-year-old daughter, Meadow, died in the attack, said he welcomed Mr. Peterson’s arrest.

“It’s about accountability, and there’s to be more in Broward County,” said Mr. Pollack, who previously filed a wrongful-death suit against Mr. Peterson. “We knew all along that this guy did something very terrible. He let my daughter die, and a lot of other victims in the school — teachers and children — and he didn’t do his job.”

In an interview on Tuesday, Mr. Pollack said he and his lawyer had turned over records — including a deposition of Mr. Peterson — in the civil case to law enforcement officials to consider during their criminal inquiry.

Mr. Pollack said he hoped Mr. Peterson would be convicted and sentenced to a lengthy prison term. “He brought his Bible with him to the deposition,” he said. “Let him bring his Bible with him to prison. He can read the whole thing a bunch of times.”

Attachments

• 78995690bbb842f2934afeefe21e25cb-jumbo.jpg
    78995690bbb842f2934afeefe21e25cb-jumbo.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 70
I think the man is a pussy but to arrest him and file charges is wrong . What about all of the teachers that hid and didn’t try to stop it will they face charges? Good luck trying to find people to do that job if they are going to be arrested for not getting shot.

I think the man is a pussy but to arrest him and file charges is wrong . What about all of the teachers that hid and didn’t try to stop it will they face charges? Good luck trying to find people to do that job if they are going to be arrested for not getting shot.
Agreed

I have not read the story or the charges yet but my general take on it is its going to be a hard sell to make any charges stick. The supreme court has ruled time and time again that the public has no expectation of protection from law enforcement. There might be a policy of the sheriff/police department that calls for officers to stop a crime in progress but that's a department policy. There is no "law" since laws tell us what we cant do not what we can do, and there is no constitutional violation for not providing protection. The job of law enforcement is largely to to show up and draw chalk lines around the body and fill out the paperwork.

Agreed. Another food food for thought..if he would e charged in there and accidentally shot the kids, they would still want his head.

I am sure that will all come out in court and not sure if a jury will convict based on current evidence. Also think of the appeals that could happen should there be a conviction.

Now I do understand that the Supreme Court has ruled that cops are not bound to protect citizens, but I have two points to make. If you can’t fill the shoes of the job don’t become a cop, it’s not like they don’t understand that it is a risky job. And if cops don’t have a duty to protect they need to stop with the false sense they feed people with most of all law enforcement slogans are to Protect and Serve. This Supreme Court ruling need to be over turned, we as citizens pay taxes that pay the wage of these cowards for a service. That service is sold to us as protection for citizens, so if they don’t protect what in the fucking world do we need them for. All police departments have turned into tax collection cowards. This country need to go back to common law, if there is no victim then there is no crime.

Now I do understand that the Supreme Court has ruled that cops are not bound to protect citizens, but I have two points to make. If you can’t fill the shoes of the job don’t become a cop, it’s not like they don’t understand that it is a risky job. And if cops don’t have a duty to protect they need to stop with the false sense they feed people with most of all law enforcement slogans are to Protect and Serve. This Supreme Court ruling need to be over turned, we as citizens pay taxes that pay the wage of these cowards for a service. That service is sold to us as protection for citizens, so if they don’t protect what in the fucking world do we need them for. All police departments have turned into tax collection cowards. This country need to go back to common law, if there is no victim then there is no crime.

You are 100% correct.

I have not read the story or the charges yet but my general take on it is its going to be a hard sell to make any charges stick. The supreme court has ruled time and time again that the public has no expectation of protection from law enforcement. There might be a policy of the sheriff/police department that calls for officers to stop a crime in progress but that's a department policy. There is no "law" since laws tell us what we cant do not what we can do, and there is no constitutional violation for not providing protection. The job of law enforcement is largely to to show up and draw chalk lines around the body and fill out the paperwork.

He’s not the public. He’s a sworn officer and did not serve and protect like he swore to his state to do. He deserves whatever the courts hand down to him and then some because these are children we’re talking about here that have died, been wounded and traumatized by this. My school was attacked by a student in 2001 right in front of me and before I had time to react and run, the school officer shot and the bullet ricochet off the kids gun and hit him in the face and it was over in minutes. The pussy then hung himself in jail. That’s exactly what any officer who patrols schools should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's still a pussy in my book.....all his training and he pissed down his leg.

IML Gear Cream!
He's still a pussy in my book.....all his training and he pissed down his leg.

He should’ve became a mall cop if he doesn’t have the balls to run towards danger.

If he had just entered the building and got shots downrage on that punk ass kid many lives would have been saved. The guy is a fucking coward!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

All the training in the world doesn't change your true character....probably only had enough courage to shoot someone in the back if it came down to it

I don’t know that these charges are going anywhere. It sure sucks that he didn’t charge in like Galahad and save the day, but it’s kinda hard to know what someone’s going to do when it finally goes down.

I doubt that guy applied for a job thinking “I’m just gonna let kids die if it ever comes to that”. I think he should lose his position and he’s already vulnerable to civil cases. What good will throwing him in prison do? Your not taking a dangerous person off the street, you’re only punishing cowardice. I for one think the international shame and civil litigation is punishment enough.

I think the man is a pussy but to arrest him and file charges is wrong . What about all of the teachers that hid and didn’t try to stop it will they face charges?

You're comparing unarmed and untrained teachers to the school cop who has a gun and who's sole purpose is to protect the kids at the school? :hmm:

You're comparing unarmed and untrained teachers to the school cop who has a gun and who's sole purpose is to protect the kids at the school? :hmm:
I’m sure there were teachers around when it happened that could have done more . Goodluck trying to clear a school by yourself only armed with a pistol against someone with a rifle . I don’t know what the sop is for police and this situation with kids and hostages .

He’s not the public. He’s a sworn officer and did not serve and protect like he swore to his state to do. He deserves whatever the courts hand down to him and then some because these are children we’re talking about here that have died, been wounded and traumatized by this. My school was attacked by a student in 2001 right in front of me and before I had time to react and run, the school officer shot and the bullet ricochet off the kids gun and hit him in the face and it was over in minutes. The pussy then hung himself in jail. That’s exactly what any officer who patrols schools should do.

I couldnt agree more, you swore an oath to protect innocent lives, what is more innocent than children, besides we all know anyone shooting at children is a coward so i would have run in even without a gun and defended those kids. fuck that, he froze and missed an opportunity to save even one life

Pointing fingers ain’t gonna make this tragedy go away. Dude prolly had a better chance at dying then saving any kids.

Its a tragedy and sucks and that dudes got no balls and will live with that guilt the rest of his life but let’s not ignore the problem.

these fucktard kids need to be put in there place...take the tv outta the equation and man up and show them a real fathers love.... teach them correct behaviors and toughen these lil crackheads up.

Its like we’re living in the twilight zone, this old dude fucked up but I can’t tell what most people are upset at...the fact he hid like a bitch or the fact he’s still breathing?

Get Shredded!
You are such a white trash piece of dog shit. Last time I made this thread all you ex cops come out of the wood work.
So I’m a cop now ? Why don’t you take your black ass over to the nba thread

You are such a white trash piece of dog shit. Last time I made this thread all you ex cops come out of the wood work.
Last time you made this thread you were crying that your inner city teachers didn’t make the same amount of money as cops did .

Not even black. You the type of dude to leave his team mates to die while you hiding in the bushes asking for someone to save you. Pussy boy. Motherfucker is supposed to be a veteran who can shot a pistol with proficiency. How did he know it was a rifle? Motherfucker didn't even look to see. So eat a dick saying people with no weapon should be at fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even black. You the type of dude to leave his team mates to die while you hiding in the bushes asking for someone to save you. Pussy boy. Motherfucker is supposed to be a veteran who can shot a pistol with proficiency. How did he know it was a rifle? Motherfucker didn't even look to see. So eat a dick saying people with no weapon should be at fault.
Learn to read mother fucker yeah I agree the man is a Pussy I just don’t think that he should be charged with a crime . I don’t know if the man is a veteran or not but either way you can tell the difference between a pistol and a rifle by sound

Learn to read mother fucker yeah I agree the man is a Pussy I just don’t think that he should be charged with a crime . I don’t know if the man is a veteran or not but either way you can tell the difference between a pistol and a rifle by sound

I’m with you on this. No cop is going in without backup. That only happens in the movies.

I’m sure there were teachers around when it happened that could have done more . Goodluck trying to clear a school by yourself only armed with a pistol against someone with a rifle . I don’t know what the sop is for police and this situation with kids and hostages .

That is a cop's fucking job and that is why he has a gun. Duh.

Arm and train teachers to shoot and school shootings will end day one. Enough said.

Ur post is full of contradictory and miss-informed statements. Additionally it sounds like you are mixing judicial precedent with job descriptions with public relations, et al. So much going on here. I'll save the drama since I don't think this is the right board for it but i think it boils down to touchy-feely expectations on your part. I am not taking opinion with any of your beliefs just your contradictory statements. Ask yourself if there is a baby known to be somewhere inside of a burning building expected to collapse within the next minute and there are only two possible outcomes; a) 90% chance the baby dies on its own b) firefighter runs inside and 90% chance they both die - (remember a) 10% baby lives on its own and 100% chance firefighter lives b) only 10% chance they will both be here tomorrow) - Is the firefighter wrong for not entering the building where he now has a 100% of being here tomorrow to save another child? No right or wrong or easy answer.

"This country need to go back to common law, if there is no victim then there is no crime." - What defines a victim? Stealing $100K from a millionaire does not make him a victim? Shouting racial slurs at someone on the subway is a victimless crime? Raping a woman is not a crime because she "looks ok afterwards" and you didn't give her your herpes or knock her up - No victim no crime. Laws were partially created to influence social behavior. I (as a non recreational drug user) believe all drugs should be legalized and I also believe in such things as losing a hand for nickel and dime theft, yes really.

I also do believe the Florida deputy should rot behind bars for the rest of his life.

Back