• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Fast and Slow Twitch

underthebar

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
The large majority of my workouts consist of heavy (80%+ 1rm) sets with a 5-10 rep range (though I tend to end up in the 4-8 range), with sometimes as much as 10+ sets for a single movement (I train primarily compound movements). So, I'm very weight and power oriented.

In the past I was a standard 10-12 rep lifter and I remember my muscle size increasing faster than today, though not nearly as fast as my current strength gains.

So, I decided to start incorporating high rep ranges. I noticed something today that surprised me: After doing about 8 or 9 sets of higher reps to failure, I still felt fresh. So, I knocked the weight up substantially (85% 1rm+) and was able to do 3+ more sets of 4 without the fatigue I expected. It also felt as though I was using more muscle and different smaller(?) muscles than when doing higher reps.

What I figure is I've been using primarily fast-twitch muscle fibers, so they are developed more than the slow. So, with the higher rep ranges, I was working the slow-twitch which had until then remained mostly unactivated. When I switched to the heavier load, I activated the previously developed fast twitch which were fresh and ready to work.

Could this explain the fresh feeling after the high rep sets and the surprising ability to continue on to train with heavier loads? Honestly, I felt like if I had anticipated this effect, I could've nearly doubled the number of sets (8-9 sets of high rep and 8-9 high weight/ low rep) and not overtrained.

Also, does anyone have any experience splitting a workout into slow and fast fiber emphasis for one muscle group, doing two workouts a day?

The large majority of my workouts consist of heavy (80%+ 1rm) sets with a 5-10 rep range (though I tend to end up in the 4-8 range), with sometimes as much as 10+ sets for a single movement (I train primarily compound movements). So, I'm very weight and power oriented.

In the past I was a standard 10-12 rep lifter and I remember my muscle size increasing faster than today, though not nearly as fast as my current strength gains.

So, I decided to start incorporating high rep ranges. I noticed something today that surprised me: After doing about 8 or 9 sets of higher reps to failure, I still felt fresh. So, I knocked the weight up substantially (85% 1rm+) and was able to do 3+ more sets of 4 without the fatigue I expected. It also felt as though I was using more muscle and different smaller(?) muscles than when doing higher reps.

What I figure is I've been using primarily fast-twitch muscle fibers, so they are developed more than the slow. So, with the higher rep ranges, I was working the slow-twitch which had until then remained mostly unactivated. When I switched to the heavier load, I activated the previously developed fast twitch which were fresh and ready to work.

Could this explain the fresh feeling after the high rep sets and the surprising ability to continue on to train with heavier loads? Honestly, I felt like if I had anticipated this effect, I could've nearly doubled the number of sets (8-9 sets of high rep and 8-9 high weight/ low rep) and not overtrained.

Also, does anyone have any experience splitting a workout into slow and fast fiber emphasis for one muscle group, doing two workouts a day?
Muscle fatigue is muscle fatigue regardless of fibres. The same myocytes contract in both cases. You can't just switch fibres and feel fresh.
Although my workouts are always split between heavy and light lifts. One week I go heavy and next week I go lighter with higher reps and more TUT.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This would be a great experiment for you to run for the board.

Take some pics, get some measurements and see where you land in 6 -8 weeks...

you could turn it into a log as I’m interested in doing something similar to avoid injury and maybe get better results.

i like the idea. I’m sticking to push pull leg split 3x a week with a TUT approach focused on compound lifts until DR gives me clearance for full intensity. I think I like the approach you mentioned as well, after I can return to ‘full contact’.

So id appreciate it if you ran with this and provided a lil experiment to see the effects.

:)

Right on. It's interesting in that you'd think I'd be sore from all the work, but I'm not. I still feel strong. I need to work out how I'd do it in conjunction with my work schedule (3 days on, 4 days off), but it's doable. Maybe I'll take full advantage of the 4 days off to do the 2-a-days. Then I'll have a 3 day break to assure recoup from the intensity.

When I went from the high to low rep, I honestly felt like I was tapping into a reservoir of strength and energy that was dormant until the intensity increased.

Back