• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Do you have any muscle/muscle groups that you REFUSE to train?

jozifp103

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
This is somewhat of a confession/self validation thread to justify my own faults. But I want to see if I'm alone here...

That being said; we're all human. Not a vast majority, but a lot of us here don't compete in BB competitions. We all have our favorite muscle groups, and we all have the ones that we either hate to train, or couldn't be bothered because it's either already well developed or not a priority.

Here's my list of muscles I DON'T train, and my justification(s) for it. I'm not saying my justifications are valid, but here they are

Abs - I get horrible cramps in my mid section to the point where I'm on the floor in the fetal position on the verge of tears. This literally happens after one set of abs. I thought it was because they were just unconditioned so I tried to tough it out for a couple months thinking once I got them conditioned it would stop but they never went away.

Lower back - At least not directly. I don't do lower back extensions or any direct lower back work. My excuse is that I simply don't feel it necessary when I'm training my lower back indirectly with a lot of other workouts like squats, and bent rows and whatnot.

Hamstrings - Same reason as abs. I had a bad experience with doing hamstring curls where my hammy cramped up MID-REP and I was stuck with my hamstrings fully contracted and had to slowly straighten my leg to release myself from the tension while my muscle was cramping and pulling in the other direction. Most painful shit ever. I have given it a go several times over the past few years but honestly each time was extremely stressful because I was on the verge of seizing up the whole time. And to be honest...legs aren't top priority for me. I do the basics to make sure I don't look chicken legged and I have built them up decently with squats, presses, quad extensions etc.

Forearms
- I'll admit my forearms are a bit on the small side. Proportionally they look a bit off. My excuse here is sheer laziness, and refusal to believe that extra training is going to make a difference when I train them indirectly with almost every workout I do. Just about every day (with the exception of leg day) I leave the gym with a forearm pump. Clearly it's not enough because while they ARE growing...they are still lagging behind.

Traps - Another one I feel is worked indirectly. Shoulder presses, lateral raises etc all work the traps in some way. My traps have never really lacked. They look fine and are proportional. I used to do trap workouts like your typical barbell/dumbell shrugs but somewhere along the way it just got phased out. Plus when I do barbell shrugs the bar always comes up right under my nutsack and scoops it up and presses it into my body. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

That's my list. I'm sure some of you have muscles you don't train right? Post up the muscles you don't train a long with your justification. Tell me I'm not alone here.

What sort of meds are you on? I only ask because I had some of the same issues you do when the doc had me on a blood pressure med with HCTZ, a diuretic. Cramps, all the time.

I have taken it since then just to experiment, and even two days of it start me cramping during and after a good workout.

I am not sure what I am going to do for a diuretic when the IFBB invites me to compete at the Mr. Olympia in Las Vegas.

I stay balanced in training routines more or less. I believe I short change myself when I don't train a particular muscle, especially when I think its already being worked, I will eventually give that muscle a notorious session, for instance like you said, my traps are proportionate and get worked due to proper form with back training, but yesterday I went after then wit a vengeance and today I am glad I did.

Try adding iodized salt for cramps, or are you just being a pussy! joking joking lol

work those forearms today:readit:

I don’t do any direct forearm work because of tendinitis in both arms, the direct work impairs my ability to grip the steering wheel for the drive home...

i love shrugs... the trap pump looks sick

ummmm I don’t do abs as much as I should ... because I’m a pussy ;)

This is somewhat of a confession/self validation thread to justify my own faults. But I want to see if I'm alone here...

That being said; we're all human. Not a vast majority, but a lot of us here don't compete in BB competitions. We all have our favorite muscle groups, and we all have the ones that we either hate to train, or couldn't be bothered because it's either already well developed or not a priority.

Here's my list of muscles I DON'T train, and my justification(s) for it. I'm not saying my justifications are valid, but here they are

Abs - I get horrible cramps in my mid section to the point where I'm on the floor in the fetal position on the verge of tears. This literally happens after one set of abs. I thought it was because they were just unconditioned so I tried to tough it out for a couple months thinking once I got them conditioned it would stop but they never went away.

Lower back - At least not directly. I don't do lower back extensions or any direct lower back work. My excuse is that I simply don't feel it necessary when I'm training my lower back indirectly with a lot of other workouts like squats, and bent rows and whatnot.

Hamstrings - Same reason as abs. I had a bad experience with doing hamstring curls where my hammy cramped up MID-REP and I was stuck with my hamstrings fully contracted and had to slowly straighten my leg to release myself from the tension while my muscle was cramping and pulling in the other direction. Most painful shit ever. I have given it a go several times over the past few years but honestly each time was extremely stressful because I was on the verge of seizing up the whole time. And to be honest...legs aren't top priority for me. I do the basics to make sure I don't look chicken legged and I have built them up decently with squats, presses, quad extensions etc.

Forearms
- I'll admit my forearms are a bit on the small side. Proportionally they look a bit off. My excuse here is sheer laziness, and refusal to believe that extra training is going to make a difference when I train them indirectly with almost every workout I do. Just about every day (with the exception of leg day) I leave the gym with a forearm pump. Clearly it's not enough because while they ARE growing...they are still lagging behind.

Traps - Another one I feel is worked indirectly. Shoulder presses, lateral raises etc all work the traps in some way. My traps have never really lacked. They look fine and are proportional. I used to do trap workouts like your typical barbell/dumbell shrugs but somewhere along the way it just got phased out. Plus when I do barbell shrugs the bar always comes up right under my nutsack and scoops it up and presses it into my body. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

That's my list. I'm sure some of you have muscles you don't train right? Post up the muscles you don't train a long with your justification. Tell me I'm not alone here.

I have cramping issues in mid section and hamstrings as well. I use 2 grams of taurine and it helps a ton! No issues especially if Im keeping on my water intake.

I can’t be bothered to work and separately most of the time. My abs feel like steel cables from squats etc. if I ever get my BF% into legit single digits and I still don’t like my abs I’ll worry about it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why you no tell me

Magnesium twice a day

Haha it’s not bad. Usually it’s only when on tren and I just have to stretch a little bit to work it out when i start cramping. Goes away after a couple of minutes. I will definitely do that now as well.

What sort of meds are you on? I only ask because I had some of the same issues you do when the doc had me on a blood pressure med with HCTZ, a diuretic. Cramps, all the time.

I have taken it since then just to experiment, and even two days of it start me cramping during and after a good workout.

I am not sure what I am going to do for a diuretic when the IFBB invites me to compete at the Mr. Olympia in Las Vegas.
No meds at all. I get cramps in just about every muscle, mainly from the pumps. Most are bearable and avoidable but the ab cramps are unavoidable and excruciating.
I have cramping issues in mid section and hamstrings as well. I use 2 grams of taurine and it helps a ton! No issues especially if Im keeping on my water intake.
Tried everything brother. All the electrolytes and minerals that were recommended. Nothing seemed to do the trick. I'm sure the right ratio/combo if these might work but honestly I'm tired of trying to dial it in. It's been years.
Why you no tell me

Magnesium twice a day
That's what my doc recommended. I tried that along with a cocktail of other electrolytes and minerals to no avail. :(
I can’t be bothered to work and separately most of the time. My abs feel like steel cables from squats etc. if I ever get my BF% into legit single digits and I still don’t like my abs I’ll worry about it then.

I typically sway between 10% and 15% bf. Even at 10% you can see my abs but they don't have those define grid marks unless I flex. I know abs are made in the kitchen but you still have to work them so they are developed enough to show.

Look at me giving advice that I don't even follow myself lol.

I know abs are made in the kitchen but you still have to work them so they are developed enough to show.
. That's just not true. My best abs ever were no working them but low body fat (mid-high single digits). I have started working them some recently hoping they will look even better, though.

IML Gear Cream!
Not all muscle density is equal for all people... I have to work mine with a vengeance for them to shine, and they still do not compare with some guys...

I don’t/won’t do leg extensions. My quads see plenty of work through my various squatting and other exercise regimes.

Leg extensions have flared up my patellar tendinitis in the past so I skip it.

I don’t/won’t do leg extensions. My quads see plenty of work through my various squatting and other exercise regimes.

Leg extensions have flared up my patellar tendinitis in the past so I skip it.

This is a good one. I think leg extensions are counterproductive even if you are one of the lucky ones and they don’t hurt.

I don’t really work forearms either, other than trying to squeeze the DL bar in half. I’d like em to be a bit bigger. Maybe I should try it.

Or neck. Some of that stuff, secondary effect seems good enough for what I want.

This is a good one. I think leg extensions are counterproductive even if you are one of the lucky ones and they don’t hurt.
Even performed with a light weight for 20-30 reps with a long squeeze at the top until it burns, burns burns? How is it counterproductive?

Even performed with a light weight for 20-30 reps with a long squeeze at the top until it burns, burns burns? How is it counterproductive?

Maybe not bad with really low weight/high reps, but even if it doesn’t cause any individual pain now, mechanically I think it is very hard on the knees and will be one of those things that tells with time. I’m touchy about my knees and elbows though. So maybe I’m just being a vagina about it. :)

I use it as sort of a warm up before squatting, but I really get a burn and get the quads to increase in size some from a pump before moving on to squats.

I don’t really work forearms either, other than trying to squeeze the DL bar in half. I’d like em to be a bit bigger. Maybe I should try it.

Or neck. Some of that stuff, secondary effect seems good enough for what I want.

Neglected neck checking in. Can't even say that it gets indirect exercise either...

I have bands at home. Maybe they'll finally be used for something.

Neglected neck checking in. Can't even say that it gets indirect exercise either...

I have bands at home. Maybe they'll finally be used for something.

God I remember how sore my neck used to get the start of football season. Just throw a heavy helmet on during your workday. Safe and swole.

Lower back for me.. pumps are simply just debilitating..

Get Shredded!
Forearms.

Between my job and pulling heavy shit around at the gym, if they suck, which they do, whatever

Not dedicating time to such a small body part.

Calves I do neglect. Been training them more regularly lately but I always forget. Unless I put them at the beginning of training I'm destroyed and don't want to do them.

Abs. Same as Calves but, they aren't a weak point and don't need much work. I have started to train them again though.

Forearms.

Between my job and pulling heavy shit around at the gym, if they suck, which they do, whatever

Not dedicating time to such a small body part.

Calves I do neglect. Been training them more regularly lately but I always forget. Unless I put them at the beginning of training I'm destroyed and don't want to do them.

Abs. Same as Calves but, they aren't a weak point and don't need much work. I have started to train them again though.
I feel calves are one of those muscles that require a ton of volume to grow. I mean they are supporting your entire body and constantly contracting every step you take. They're used to constant tension and stimulation so in theory they should be worked extra hard to stimulate growth. I've taken that into account and I try to work the shit out of them but it seems they are just a slow-growing muscle.

I believe it was Phil Heath who says he trains calves every day at the end of each workout because it's impossible to over-train calves and they need a ton of volume.

I feel calves are one of those muscles that require a ton of volume to grow. I mean they are supporting your entire body and constantly contracting every step you take. They're used to constant tension and stimulation so in theory they should be worked extra hard to stimulate growth. I've taken that into account and I try to work the shit out of them but it seems they are just a slow-growing muscle.

I believe it was Phil Heath who says he trains calves every day at the end of each workout because it's impossible to over-train calves and they need a ton of volume.

agreed. unless you were birthed a member of the lucky calves club

Back