• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Debate about sodium

joos23

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What's everyone's input on sodium? I've read more than 400mg at one sitting you will retain water? Some guys swear by it. At first you'll retain water, then it goes away. Curious on everyone's input

Lots of sodium. Lots of water. Great combo.
Yup. I have to consume stupid amounts of iodized salt along with a lot of water to prevent cramping. I tend to load it in my last meal preworkout and more moderate throughout the day

As to the water retention, it's minimal if you're drinking enough water and diet is actually clean. Also, the less bodyfat the less water retention you'll get

Can anyone elaborate more? I was drinking 1200mg of pink salt in my intra before my workout. I noticed by the time I was done, I felt and looked bloated

Can anyone elaborate more? I was drinking 1200mg of pink salt in my intra before my workout. I noticed by the time I was done, I felt and looked bloated
1.2g is quite a bit in one shot, but like I said, the bloating is going to be dependent on bodyfat, water intake, and diet. I probably have about 600mg on my last meal preworkout for a rough estimate.

If I eat a lot and don't drink at least a gallon of water I retain a good bit of water

1.2g is quite a bit in one shot, but like I said, the bloating is going to be dependent on bodyfat, water intake, and diet. I probably have about 600mg on my last meal preworkout for a rough estimate.

If I eat a lot and don't drink at least a gallon of water I retain a good bit of water

I started to back it down and see what happens. My diet is very clean and only consuming 200g of carbs. Tomorrow I drop them down to 150g.

I'll do 2-3 grinds of Himalayan salt in my pre workout. Dunno how many mg that comes out to be.

Never counted salt intake
Always drank 6-8L water a day.
Trust me, desi food had shit loads of spices and salt.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
complex theme.

For not having water retention you have to consider many factors:
aas and consequently estrogen;
carbohydrates. every 1gr of carb retains 3-3.5 grams of water;
but above all the intake of water, sodium, potassium and aldosterone must be balanced.

When salt intake is reduced, a series of dry-looking enemies emerge.
The salt contains sodium and to a lesser extent potassium in the form of potassium iodide. When salt/sodium is reduced or eliminated from the diet, the result is a greater release of Aldosterone.
This causes the body to excrete more potassium and retain more sodium/water. The subsequent water retention gives the athlete a swollen appearance due to the imbalance between the electrolytes. The lower salt intake negatively affects the very important sodium-potassium pump.
This is the mechanism used by the body to transport many nutrients into cells such as those of all muscle fibers.

Subcutaneous water control depends on the control of the hormone Aldosterone. Obviously estrogen control is part of this hormonal cascade of action/reaction factors.
The thing that most interests us is salt and water control, so the key element is Aldosterone.

I have always heard: take 1 gr of salt (about 0,4 sodium) for every liter of water.
so the two factors are balanced.
obviously in the diet there must also be a good supply of potassium.

I sweat a lot when I train, my philosophy is put back what you burn right away. Use an iodozed salt, in food for cooking and seasoning. Drink Gatorade pre or post wo for electrolytes and other minerals, It works ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sweat a lot when I train, my philosophy is put back what you burn right away. Use an iodozed salt, in food for cooking and seasoning. Drink Gatorade pre or post wo for electrolytes and other minerals, It works ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, the iodized salt is very important for thyroid function and it seems to help with cramping for me. I use those emergen-c packets for extra electrolytes myself, mix an orange one with my fiber at night. Seems to work pretty good.

I also ramp up the salt in my preworkout meal and I've started adding it to my intra drink as well, and it seems like it's stopping the cramping entirely.

Like I said before though, I require an absurd amount of salt. I sweat it out really bad, when I work really hard like splitting wood by hand and bucking up trees I get a salt crust on my head lol

I have always heard: take 1 gr of salt (about 0,4 sodium) for every liter of water.
so the two factors are balanced.
obviously in the diet there must also be a good supply of potassium.
I think magnesium is more important for muscle cramp prevention than Potassium is, but be fore warned, if you're going to take Potassium, you best keep the dosage low, because high amounts of Potassium will actually CAUSE muscle cramping. A co-worker of mine went to the doctor because of insane muscle cramps that were very painfull and lasting for hours for weeks. The doctor asked him what vitamins he's taking, and when he told him about the huge doses of potassium he was taking, his doctor told him "that's the cause of your muscle cramps right there. Stop taking it."

And once he stopped taking the potassium, he was completely cured of his muscle cramps within one day, and they never returned. Too much potassium is a big NO NO. Be careful with that.

Never counted salt intake
Always drank 6-8L water a day.
Trust me, desi food had shit loads of spices and salt.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

And fat....but it is delicious. I prefer Northern Indian cuisine, but it is all good. Why do all older Indian guys develop a gut, LOL.

Here is the thing about salt: You cut carbs, get your fat take below 30%. Your eating is clean. You are training your ass off and doing lots of cardio. And working...spending time w/ family and friends.

Most of the pleasures of living are gone. Why make it worse by cutting your salt? Salt will give you a spark and is not unhealthy. Salt makes it much easier to eat clean.

Back