• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Reality Check

With his problem of not being able to add muscle the last thing he needs is cardio.
Cardio produces an enzyme called AMPK which blunts muscle protein synthesis. HIIT would be a much better alternative since it doesn't produce AMPK if done properly.
I think our friend may be a real hard gainer and/or have crappy genetics. This is where an in person assessment would really help.
Cardio is important, especially at his age. I didn't write this, but I thought it would be worth posting for others to read and evaluate.

Cardio is such an important component to not only health, but there are other key benefits to growth and development of body, especially if your not in the genetically blessed camp. One of your best investments would be a cardio machine at home. You can get a used cheap machine on Craigs or penny saver and knock it out at home. Due to my obligations, I work 7 days a week, and getting to the gym twice a day is an absolute waste of time.

My cardio is done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for about 30mins. I walk at a pace of 3.8-4.0 mph at an angle of 3. Nothing to intense or demanding. I will have a cup of coffee 20mins before. No other stimulant or fat burner would be necessary. Whether I am in the growth or cutting stage it MUST be done. Why?

First, the role it plays with HDL cholesterol. This is considered the good cholesterol; it helps prevent LDL cholesterol from clogging your arteries, which increases your risk of heart attack and stroke. This also encourages increased HDL and reduced LDL ratio that can improve quality of life.

Second, the role of cardio and the subsequent change in insulin sensitivity. Increased insulin sensitivity results in greater levels of carbohydrates and amino acids taken up into the muscle. Your body just works much more efficient. This results in a greater percentage of carbohydrates and amino acids into the muscle cells leading to greater growth, recuperation and muscle fullness.

Third, cardio opens capillaries and increases blood flow. Cardio increases the number of capillaries (small blood vessels) that network throughout the muscles. These capillaries bring various nutrients and HORMONES to the muscle. Therefore the more capillaries you obtain, the more nutrients and HORMONES that can be brought to a recovering muscle. This also ties in to the style of weight training I utilize. Piston style with minimal rest. Having well developed cardiovascular capacity will mean you recover faster between sets. Recovering faster between sets lead to an increased total workload during your workout as you will be able to perform more reps with any given weight on subsequent sets.

HDL, unless genetic, is a product of poor diet and exercise.
Insulin sensitivity is predominantly a product of too much adipose tissue aka FAT. Belly fat is the worst.
Increased blood flow can be accomplished by high intensity resistance training.

My point is, the OP needs to build muscle (especially considering his age and comment about the difficulty he is now experiencing with building muscle. Hint: anabolic resistance and sarcopenia) and for optimal results he would be wise to avoid activities that hinder that.

I am not against cardio... it's just not the right tool to pull out of your toolbox to work on his problem.

Back