• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Rip Daryl Stafford

REHH

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Heart attack. Was still competing and using gear at 58.

Attachments

• FullSizeR1.jpg
    FullSizeR1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 102
Any recent pics of him in the last year or so?

Any recent pics of him in the last year or so?

Yes, ill go thru some texts and see what I have. As you could imagine he's gone downhill significantly, as all of us will eventually.

Google images has one with almost no tricep and that noticeable old guy droopiness between the nipple and going back under the arm that everybody gets as they age, but I cannot find a date attached to it.

Google images has one with almost no tricep and that noticeable old guy droopiness between the nipple and going back under the arm that everybody gets as they age, but I cannot find a date attached to it.

I had some but can't find them now. I'll look some more or ask my his training partner to send me some.

Here he is on CNN a few years back. Also I just talked to his training partner and he said he hasn't competed since 2010....my mistake, thought he competed a couple years ago

https://goo.gl/images/3Fb75o

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/images/Td4QLp

It’s been just over a week since everyone found out about the death of Ed Corney, but another tragedy in the world of bodybuilding didn’t take long. Darryl Stafford died from the heart attack.

Daryl Stafford started his bodybuilding career at the age of 25 in 1984. In 1993, Daryl won his pro card.

We express our condolences to the family, friends, and all the fans of Darryl Stafford. Rest in peace, Daryl.

Let’s recall the history of Daryl Stafford’s contests.

Nationals, 1984 – NPC, MiddleWeight, 14th
Southern USA, 1984 – NPC, MiddleWeight, 2nd

Southern USA, 1985 – NPC, Overall Winner
Southern USA, 1985 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 1st

Junior Nationals, 1986 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 3rd
Nationals, 1986 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 5th
USA Championships – NPC, HeavyWeight, 3rd

Junior USA, 1987 – NPC, HeavyWeight, 4th
Nationals, 1987 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd
USA Championships, 1987 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 1st

Nationals, 1988 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 4th

Nationals, 1989 – NPC, HeavyWeight, 8th
USA Championships, 1989 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 3rd

Nationals, 1990 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 3rd

Nationals, 1991 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd

Nationals, 1992 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 2nd

Nationals, 1993 – NPC, Light-HeavyWeight, 1st

Chicago Pro Championships, 1994 – IFBB, 5th
Night of Champions, 1994 – IFBB, 7th

Ironman Pro Invitational, 1998 – IFBB, 8th
San Francisco Pro, 1998 – IFBB, 17th

Olympia, 2003 – Masters – IFBB, 3rd

Masters Pro World, 2006 – IFBB, 11th

Jacksonville Pro, 2010 – IFBB, LightWeight, 13th
Tampa Pro Championships, 2010 – IFBB, LightWeight, 11th

Did he have known issues leading up to this? Or was the heart attack out of no where?

No he didn't have any known heart issues. I asked if he had his heart checked out in recent years and ppl told me they didn't know. He never mentioned it. He was still running gear.

No he didn't have any known heart issues. I asked if he had his heart checked out in recent years and ppl told me they didn't know. He never mentioned it. He was still running gear.
I feel on gear or not , heart disease is common , but I'm sure gear and possibly red meat had reasons to do with it.

It sucks to see deaths in this community or deaths in general.

I hope he lived a good life

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk

Wether he died naturally of a common heart disease or not. All you will hear is people chanting "roids"

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wether he died naturally of a common heart disease or not. All you will hear is people chanting "roids"

Well, the level of "roids" probably used by him even in middle age is pretty well known to have negative cardiovascular effects. We should not pretend steroids at this level are actually healthy.

Even persons with a history of family heart disease, high blood pressure, and so on, not on steroids, generally get rid of their cardiovascular issues when they clean up their diet and do a lot of cardiovascular exercise, such as running or bicycling. I have seen this even with persons I know.

Low testosterone is a killer, too, for men as they age, but let's not pretend it is healthy for the heart to raise testosterone into supraphysiological levels, and we know for a fact steroids other than testosterone (e.g., Deca) are even worse for the heart and arteries.

IFBB pros are not doing the small little "cycles" we see on this forum. Many of them do not even "cycle" at all, maybe taking a break for a little while after a contest if they feel like they need it, but by and large they are "on" all the time, and on heavy, heavy doses that most of us would not consider even for an 8-10 week blast. Constant growth hormone and insulin are a way of life at that level, much less high doses of steroids.

I do not know this man, and maybe REHH knows, but I sincerely doubt he was keeping blood pressure and hematocrit under control, certainly not at the expense of size. That would be seriously difficult to do in ones 50s. Those of you not yet in your fifties, or even forties, really do not understand how things change over time.

Well, the level of "roids" probably used by him even in middle age is pretty well known to have negative cardiovascular effects. We should not pretend steroids at this level are actually healthy.

Even persons with a history of family heart disease, high blood pressure, and so on, not on steroids, generally get rid of their cardiovascular issues when they clean up their diet and do a lot of cardiovascular exercise, such as running or bicycling. I have seen this even with persons I know.

Low testosterone is a killer, too, for men as they age, but let's not pretend it is healthy for the heart to raise testosterone into supraphysiological levels, and we know for a fact steroids other than testosterone (e.g., Deca) are even worse for the heart and arteries.

IFBB pros are not doing the small little "cycles" we see on this forum. Many of them do not even "cycle" at all, maybe taking a break for a little while after a contest if they feel like they need it, but by and large they are "on" all the time, and on heavy, heavy doses that most of us would not consider even for an 8-10 week blast. Constant growth hormone and insulin are a way of life at that level, much less high doses of steroids.

I do not know this man, and maybe REHH knows, but I sincerely doubt he was keeping blood pressure and hematocrit under control, certainly not at the expense of size. That would be seriously difficult to do in ones 50s. Those of you not yet in your fifties, or even forties, really do not understand how things change over time.
I understand, years of abuse/use has a linearly accumulating detrimental effect on all organs. My point is, people will always make roids the devil. Sometimes it actually is, sometimes its not.

Take a look at your own recent blood test results. Now multiply your gear use by ten, add growth hormone and insulin in massive amounts daily, and continue for twenty years or more, then check those bloods again . . . see my point?

Take a look at your own recent blood test results. Now multiply your gear use by ten, add growth hormone and insulin in massive amounts daily, and continue for twenty years or more, then check those bloods again . . . see my point?
Yes I see your point. It does fuck you up.
My point is, even if you die in an accident. People will somehow blame roids.
There are responsible users as well who have lived a long healthy life.

Get Shredded!
I wonder.....did he have a family history of heart issues? Was he genetically disposed to this issue? Did he routinely get labwork to include lipids and a calcium plaque scan? Did he drink alcohol? Did he use rec drugs?

So many things can be involved with this.

Several really bad studies showed T linked to heart problems and then years later that myth was busted when a larger study came out using much of the same data. In some cases T even improved your chances of survival. I'll try to dig up the huge study that debunked the heart problem and T stuff but for now here's an interesting one.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160403195920.htm

I wonder.....did he have a family history of heart issues? Was he genetically disposed to this issue? Did he routinely get labwork to include lipids and a calcium plaque scan? Did he drink alcohol? Did he use rec drugs?

So many things can be involved with this.
I agree . They're alot of factors here other than roids . Most guys past due to other things going on such as alcohol , drugs , poor diet and little to no cardio .

Yes we all age but if we treat our bodies well under gear there is a way to be somewhat healthy.

It's just like training ... There's a stupid way to train where you are going to have tons of injuries or the smart way .

💪

I agree . They're alot of factors here other than roids . Most guys past due to other things going on such as alcohol , drugs , poor diet and little to no cardio .

Yes we all age but if we treat our bodies well under gear there is a way to be somewhat healthy.

It's just like training ... There's a stupid way to train where you are going to have tons of injuries or the smart way .

I wasn't close to him but my friend is his training partner and they are close friends. I asked about his medical history, bloodwork, heart checks etc....he knew nothing, said it was never discussed. I Also asked my friend if he had gotten his bloodwork, done echocardiogram of heart etc.....crickets, he does nothing. This is the norm with the people I run into, they run gear and do absolutely nothing to monitor their health. Most run no ai or serms, do no pct, and no bloodwork. One guy I know who is running gear year round had a heart attack, three stints put in, still does no bloodwork and doesn't even monitor blood pressure after the heart attack while taking two blood pressure meds and told not to run gear because of high hemocrit. He still runs 500-600 test and var year round.... an absolute fool, but there's a ton of them. They are the rule not the exception.

Several really bad studies showed T linked to heart problems and then years later that myth was busted when a larger study came out using much of the same data. In some cases T even improved your chances of survival. I'll try to dig up the huge study that debunked the heart problem and T stuff but for now here's an interesting one.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160403195920.htm
heavyiron, come on, you know they are not talking about IFBB pro doses. Low testosterone is bad for the heart. I posted that in my message. Dallas McCarver levels of testosterone are not good for the heart, either.

I wasn't close to him but my friend is his training partner and they are close friends. I asked about his medical history, bloodwork, heart checks etc....he knew nothing, said it was never discussed. I Also asked my friend if he had gotten his bloodwork, done echocardiogram of heart etc.....crickets, he does nothing. This is the norm with the people I run into, they run gear and do absolutely nothing to monitor their health. Most run no ai or serms, do no pct, and no bloodwork. One guy I know who is running gear year round had a heart attack, three stints put in, still does no bloodwork and doesn't even monitor blood pressure after the heart attack while taking two blood pressure meds and told not to run gear because of high hemocrit. He still runs 500-600 test and var year round.... an absolute fool, but there's a ton of them. They are the rule not the exception.
LOL! Just damn.

Sorry. This is sad all the way around gear or not, still sucks. 1994-2006 was a long run for him.

LowT

heavyiron, come on, you know they are not talking about IFBB pro doses. Low testosterone is bad for the heart. I posted that in my message. Dallas McCarver levels of testosterone are not good for the heart, either.
Well, you would need supporting evidence that high T levels effect the heart negatively. =)

Back