• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

New addition to my Glock family

TouaregV8

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Picked this up the other day. I've been wanting a small .380 for concealed carry in a belly band holster and also to keep in the console of my car when I'm not carrying it. I had been considering the S&W Shield, but after seeing them side by side and holding them, I decided on the Glock. The Shield was too large for what I was looking for.

UfujgL1.jpg

After running 50 rounds through it I'm a bit disappointed. I had several failure to feeds, most of which occurred during my first shot with a loaded magazine using Blazer Brass 95gr rounds. After researching this I found consistent complaints on the G42 regarding FTF and FTE. Some say it's attributed to limp wristing, others say the jams are common until the firearm has been broken in. Either way, I won't be carrying this anytime soon until I am able to have 100% confidence with it's operation. Another complaint I have is that the rear sight is off. I'm consistently hitting 4" to the right of center at 10 yards. I can see by looking at the rear sight that it is not centered in the dovetail groove. I have 2 other Glocks that I purchased new and I've never had this issue. Poor quality control.

I picked up a couple different boxes of ammo yesterday, a box of Winchester and a box of Federal, both in 95gr FMJ ball ammo. It'll be interesting to see how this different ammo performs.

I ordered Tru Glo tritium night sights and a couple Pearce pinky extensions for the magazines.

This is the same handgun I’ve been wanting to get for CC. I’m surprised at all the issues you have had though, my 4th gen glock 22 is the most reliable gun I own.

That blazer ammo is crap, get better ammo or use a slight film of case lube on each round before loading into magazine. A friend did have a issue similar, I just polished the ramp and never had problem again. If you have plastic punch you can bump 5e rear sight into place, or if you bought at a brick and mortar shop they should have sight tool.

Last edited:
Years ago I was going to buy a Glock and a buddy of mine beat me to it. His failed to feed numerous times that day at the range but only when his wife shot it so we though she may have been anticipating the recoil.

Anyway, run 200 rds of various high end ammo through it and see. I personally like the expensive Federal stuff. I'll look for the link but there is a deal Federal is now offering that's like 100 rds ball ammo and then 20 rounds JHP that comes with it that is built the same except the bullet so you can practice with the ball and keep the JHP for protection.

Years ago I was going to buy a Glock and a buddy of mine beat me to it. His failed to feed numerous times that day at the range but only when his wife shot it so we though she may have been anticipating the recoil.

Anyway, run 200 rds of various high end ammo through it and see. I personally like the expensive Federal stuff. I'll look for the link but there is a deal Federal is now offering that's like 100 rds ball ammo and then 20 rounds JHP that comes with it that is built the same except the bullet so you can practice with the ball and keep the JHP for protection.
Palmetto state armory usually has deals on federal Ammo. I encourage everyone that is an enthusiast to sign up for their email sale. Damn good prices and often.

Glock just released the new Glock 43X and Glock 48. It's their answer to the Sig P365 10+1 single stack. I will be taking a hard look at one of these. I like my Shield but these liberal commie fucks here in Chicago won't let me carry with an extended magazine.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I'm interested to see if the Winchester and Federal ammo performs better in the G42. I'm going to wait until I mount the night sites and pinky extensions before I shoot it again.

Apparently the FTF is a relatively common problem in this handgun. Some say its due to it being a lighter load and therefore there's not as much force generated to cycle the slide. As far as limp writing the gun, I dunno. I do try to hold my handguns with somewhat of a relaxed grip as it helps with my site picture and trigger control. I'll be more conscious of this the next time I shoot it.

Off topic: Do any of you guys own DPMS firearms? What's your opinion on these? I've been thinking about picking up a DPMS Oracle AR-10 chambered in .308. Reviews I've read and watched on Youtube have been pretty solid.

IML Gear Cream!
I do try to hold my handguns with somewhat of a relaxed grip as it helps with my site picture and trigger control.
You can't do that with a Glock. I used to do the same thing, but Glock will not tolerate it. A Glock pistol needs a firm grip to cycle. Other auto pistols do not necessarily. An H&K will cycle if you hold it with a thumb and one finger. The Glock will misfeed the next round every time if you leave it that free to move around.

.380 jams in in ruger and sig as well. in my ruger it turned out to be a weak magazine spring and after fixing my spring it fires with no failures, sigs have a feed ramp problem you can see scoring just looking in the ejection port. Glock has multiple issues and if you call them and send it back they will fix it, i think the biggest issue is the magazine they changed the feed angle. either way I dont trust hollow .380 ammo in any gun they all seem to jam with hollow ammo

.380 jams in in ruger and sig as well. in my ruger it turned out to be a weak magazine spring and after fixing my spring it fires with no failures, sigs have a feed ramp problem you can see scoring just looking in the ejection port. Glock has multiple issues and if you call them and send it back they will fix it, i think the biggest issue is the magazine they changed the feed angle. either way I dont trust hollow .380 ammo in any gun they all seem to jam with hollow ammo
Interesting, this I didn't know.

Installed my Pearce pinky extensions and went out back and sent 60 rounds down range. 20rds Blazer Brass, 20rds Federal, and 20rds Winchester. I had one failure to feed that occurred using the Federal ammo.

So either the Pearce pinky extensions have made a difference in regard to the magazine spring pressure changing, or the extra real estate that I now have to rest 3/4 of my pinky on that I didn't have before, or I'm consciously keeping a firmer grip on the gun. Either way, she's running a lot better compared to the first time out where she was having one failure to feed on pretty much every magazine.

Night sights getting installed tomorrow.

AJ2qxtm.jpg

My buddy has a DPMS AR-15 and it runs pretty damn good.

I think I have it narrowed down to a Diamondback DB-10 .308 with a keymod rail. Will more than likely be ordering one tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I'm interested to see if the Winchester and Federal ammo performs better in the G42. I'm going to wait until I mount the night sites and pinky extensions before I shoot it again.

Apparently the FTF is a relatively common problem in this handgun. Some say its due to it being a lighter load and therefore there's not as much force generated to cycle the slide. As far as limp writing the gun, I dunno. I do try to hold my handguns with somewhat of a relaxed grip as it helps with my site picture and trigger control. I'll be more conscious of this the next time I shoot it.

Off topic: Do any of you guys own DPMS firearms? What's your opinion on these? I've been thinking about picking up a DPMS Oracle AR-10 chambered in .308. Reviews I've read and watched on Youtube have been pretty solid.

I have a DPMS AR-10 chambered in .308 actually. It's awesome, mine is a little older and has a big ass 20" free floating barrel. Accurate as hell for a semi-auto but it weighs a fucking ton. Wish I would've gotten the shorter barrel for it. Feels like when I carried a M249 in the Army lol.

Overall cool, but it collects far more dust than it does get shot. I usually prefer shooting my 15 or mini compared to that. Much more fun, less per squeeze, and easier to pack around if you're pig hunting or something

Nice I like it , I don’t have an ar10 just a bunch of ar15s but I do have semi auto 308 in a fn fal it’s a beast but I love it

Just ordered this bad boy.

Diamondback DB-10 .308 w/MLOK rail.

6YvRkTC.jpg

Im a big fan of .308 semi autos. Lots of horsepower.

Nice I like it , I don’t have an ar10 just a bunch of ar15s but I do have semi auto 308 in a fn fal it’s a beast but I love it

The FN FAL is a serious beast. Extremely reliable too.

I do try to hold my handguns with somewhat of a relaxed grip as it helps with my site picture and trigger control.

It isn't the ammo or the gun. It's you and the relaxed grip. Pretty much all semi-autos will have the same issues if you have a relaxed grip.

Get Shredded!
I have a Glock 23 and a 43, both shoot nicely, no jams or misfires. I recently got the M&P .380 shield EZ, lots of jams last weekend with shitty Winchester ammo from the Walmart.
Going to try different ammo next week...

I have a Glock 23 and a 43, both shoot nicely, no jams or misfires. I recently got the M&P .380 shield EZ, lots of jams last weekend with shitty Winchester ammo from the Walmart.
Going to try different ammo next week...

My wife and I went looking at .380s last weekend for her. We looked at the Shield, but wanted something smaller and lighter for her purse. Ended up getting her a Ruger LCP II and a concealed carry purse. She's been practicing with it on steel targets in the back yard. She's got a pretty good sight picture, but needs more practice with her trigger control. She tends to anticipate the "bang" and ends up sending the barrel into a nose dive prior to each shot.

We've got a concealed carry permit class this Saturday.

My wife and I went looking at .380s last weekend for her. We looked at the Shield, but wanted something smaller and lighter for her purse. Ended up getting her a Ruger LCP II and a concealed carry purse. She's been practicing with it on steel targets in the back yard. She's got a pretty good sight picture, but needs more practice with her trigger control. She tends to anticipate the "bang" and ends up sending the barrel into a nose dive prior to each shot.

We've got a concealed carry permit class this Saturday.

I've never looked at the LCP II. I have an LC9 and it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned lol. The trigger pull is obnoxious, even for a double action only. Feels like it's an inch long and very uneven. I prefer my Kahr PM9 honestly, even though I have to replace the recoil spring and plunger every 1000 or so rounds

I've never looked at the LCP II. I have an LC9 and it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned lol. The trigger pull is obnoxious, even for a double action only. Feels like it's an inch long and very uneven. I prefer my Kahr PM9 honestly, even though I have to replace the recoil spring and plunger every 1000 or so rounds

The trigger of the LCP II is much improved over the older LCP. It is clean and crisp, and 5.5lbs if I recall. It's a nice little handgun and it ran flawlessly on Blazer Brass ammo when we took it for a spin the other day. My wife wanted a better grip so I picked her up a Hogue slip-on. It made a huge difference.

We're going out in the back yard after work today to give her some more practice. I can't believe .380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm. Supply and demand I guess...

I've been waiting for my scope mount so I could mount my glass. Ended up getting a Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 with an Aero Precision ultra-light mount. Magpul FDE MLOK bipod and FDE 10rd magazines on the way. Can't wait to stretch her legs this weekend.

dosI8Fm.jpg

I’m a HUGE Glock believer and fan. I’ve had others but have condensed down to a Glock 21, 30 and 36. I’m keeping it all in the .45 caliber family to make things simple. But you can’t go wrong with a Glock and reliable ammo.

I've been waiting for my scope mount so I could mount my glass. Ended up getting a Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 with an Aero Precision ultra-light mount. Magpul FDE MLOK bipod and FDE 10rd magazines on the way. Can't wait to stretch her legs this weekend.

dosI8Fm.jpg
Im curious how you like it.

I'm a huge .308 (7.62 NATO) fan in military style weapons. My first rifle was an HK 91 35 years ago and since then I have collected quite a few .308's.

Im curious how you like it.

I'm a huge .308 (7.62 NATO) fan in military style weapons. My first rifle was an HK 91 35 years ago and since then I have collected quite a few .308's.

I love it. Received my Magpul FDE bipod for it on Saturday and had time to zero it in yesterday. I laser bore sighted it the other day at 25 yards so I set expected to at least be on paper at 100 yards. That was not the case, so I took a few shots at 50 yards and found that it was barely on paper at that distance. Two boxes of ammo later I'm on paper at 100 yards, but it still needs dialed in better. I should be able to shoot the bullseye out of a target consistently at 100 yards with this setup. I'll try different ammo next time.

The only complaint I have is with the magazine that came with it. It's difficult to load and I had some intermittent feed issues, but that's an easy fix with some aftermarket magazines.

I have the very same Glock, I got it for my wife to have with her CC. Although i had zero issue with it at the range, she had it misload at east 5-6 times. You really need to keep your wrists firm when shooting it, or it doesn't general enough power to reload.

Sale + Federal ammo rebate = Time to stock up

MBAtlhm.jpg

Back