Trap developement and shoulder shrugs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Rep Points

Trap developement and shoulder shrugs

One exercise I've avoided over the years is shoulder shrugs. I'm wondering if this was a mistake on my part. I'm thinking that shrugs can help with trapezius developement. In the past I've always relied on military presses with dumbells for the trap work, (even though that movement is more directly for front delts).

So I've just began performing shrugs with dumbells. Do you guys perform shrugs, and if not, then why? But if you do, then have you seen better results from shrugs with dumbells, or shrugs with a barbell? (if there's any difference). Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

Yes shrugs with dumbbells ... happy traps.

Zun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Rep Points

I used to perform shrugs regularly, but not so much these days. I like to do a higher pull DB and cable row, pulling to the lower chest as apposed to the stomach, instead. This allows me to target the traps along with other upper back muscles, and also rear delts a bit. Deadlifts and rack pulls also target the traps. Very rarely do I target the traps directly with shrugs. They get enough work with other exercises. I feel my traps are proportionate to other muscles, and I'm not really looking for the huge trap no neck look.
    Depending on your training style and goals you may want to incorporate shrugs. I prefer barbell as you can really load up the weight. Most important when training is a slow and controlled movement. No bouncing or momentum just to get the weight up, which is common from what I've witnessed. Strong contraction at top and let the weight down slow all the way allowing it to pull and stretch. Also, I get a much better contraction leaning slightly forward and shrugging up and back instead of standing straight up and shrugging straight up. DBs tend to be better for this though since your hands aren't in a fixed position with a barbell.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve always found heavy rack pulls and deadlifts to be plenty for trap development but thatís just me. Shrugs have such a limited range of motion I just feel like your time is better spent doing the heavy compound movements.
    When the hood drops, the bullshit stops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    843 Posts
    Rep Points

Shrugs imo are a staple to trap development. Shrugs, high pulls, deadlifts. I like doing a few sets with dumbbells and then a few sets on the smith machine to really isolate the traps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks HFO3 for sharing the video I got my good laugh in for the day.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    392 Posts
    Rep Points

I started the shrugs last summer at least once a week (usually after the shoulders).
    I have seen clear improvements.
    I keep doing them because it's a muscle that I like so much, but I have not developed much.

Wide grip barbell and dumbells.

PS
    I try to make them a little better than the video
    slow movements, keeping isometry.
    30-40 sec TUT

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Rep Points

I have done barbell shrugs, dumbel shrugs, hammer strength...but the best results I got was doing them in the smith machine as heavy as I could go with good form. IDK why they responded the best here but that was my experience.

Had to use wrist wraps bc my grip gives out first.

I like doing upright rows also for traps. And on shoulder day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Rep Points

LOL....that video was great....what a bunch of retards!!! Thanks for everyone's input. I do barbell squats on a regular basis, (with strict form and high reps) as well as back hyper extensions, but due to a herniated L-5 disc, I don't perform dead lifts. This is why I've decided to perform shoulder shrugs, (NOT chicken neck shrugs LOL). I'm going to experiment with dumbell shrugs and barbell shrugs to see what I get a better pump with.

I think there are guys who DO have disproportionate extreme trap development, which does look out of place, yes. However I do also think that a number of amateur BBer's overlook trap development completely, (as they do calves too). I used to watch some WWE wrestling years ago, (just because I admired some of the moves those big guys accomplish even though it's all a show) and I noticed how great Bill Goldberg's traps always looked, even from the front view. Ofcourse, in his case, some of that might be genetics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Rep Points

Most definitely do traps. I do Barbell and dumbbells and I squeeze at the top for 5sec per rep and rotate the hands forward and backward. IMO form is the key

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Rep Points

Snatch grip high pulls, deadlifts, farmers carries.....if you gonna train traps might as well get strong also
    ďIt is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.Ē
    ― Frederick Douglass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Deck View Post
    One exercise I've avoided over the years is shoulder shrugs. I'm wondering if this was a mistake on my part. I'm thinking that shrugs can help with trapezius developement. In the past I've always relied on military presses with dumbells for the trap work, (even though that movement is more directly for front delts).

So I've just began performing shrugs with dumbells. Do you guys perform shrugs, and if not, then why? But if you do, then have you seen better results from shrugs with dumbells, or shrugs with a barbell? (if there's any difference). Please share your thoughts and experience.
    You'd be shocked what development you can get with shrugs when on steroids, and in a very short period of time. I do them in a squat rack, with the safety bars just below my grip position. Pick up the barbell, lean forward ever so slightly (just because it looks to me like traps pull back as well as up) and pull up high, squeeze, lower, repeat.

It does not take a lot of weight, either. When I have not done them in a while, I start with 225. I do not think I have ever gone over 315. When the weight gets to heavy to hold both overhand, I alternate my grip to keep the barbell from rotating out of my fingers. I also do not do a lot of sets. 8-12 reps. A couple/few sets, and done. I can literally see a difference in two weeks, so I do not always do them, as I do not want traps overpowering my appearance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,349 Posts
    Rep Points

I do about every other week or so, but I do them less than others because my traps and neck are overdeveloped naturally.

I prefer to go back and forth between barbell and dumbell shrugs. I find that isometric holds at the top of the movement for 2-3 seconds seem to work the best, along with pump work after. So a typical trap workout is after the rest of my back, something like this:

BB or DB shrugs 3x10 with a 2-3 second hold at the tip of the shrug every rep

BB or DB shrugs 3x15 pump sets or a cluster set of say 20 to failure with two more sets to failure with only 20 seconds rest between each

Sometimes swap out the ones with holds for heavy sets of 6-8

Seems to work well for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    554 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post
    I have done barbell shrugs, dumbel shrugs, hammer strength...but the best results I got was doing them in the smith machine as heavy as I could go with good form. IDK why they responded the best here but that was my experience.

Had to use wrist wraps bc my grip gives out first.

I like doing upright rows also for traps. And on shoulder day.
    This is pretty much my experience as well. Was very easy to load up the smith machine with a lot of weight and still keep good form (lolz for the chicken shrug vid). Now that I'm using home gym, db shrugs for the most part when I'm hitting each muscle group 2x week. If it's once a week per muscle group, then db and bb both since there is a difference in how each hits the muscle.