maxresdefault.jpg
The glycemic index of food shows what level of sugar will be reached in your blood after, in fact, eating this food. For the benchmark level of 100 points, we agreed to take pure glucose, respectively, all other products can only approach the glucose level of impact.
For example, the glycemic index of white bread is 85, a chocolate bar or milk chocolate is 70, in fruit juices it is 45-50, in most meat and fish products it is less than 10. It is important to understand that the sugar content in the product itself and the amount of sugar which of it enters the blood - can be completely different. For example, ice cream, despite the high sugar content, had a much smaller effect on blood sugar levels than regular bread.
Until a certain time, it was believed that the glycemic index of the product directly affects the feeling of hunger. The mechanism was described as follows: after eating high GI in the blood, the sugar level rises sharply, the body releases a lot of insulin to process it, the sugar level drops sharply, which causes a feeling of hunger, which entails overeating.

Once I sincerely believed that the “glycemic index” is a significant factor influencing the appetite. And again, a more detailed study of this issue showed that, in fact, the effect of the glycemic index on appetite is minimal, and again I had to find the strength in myself and stop believing in this theory.

Although, in fact, all of this seems quite logical, all this is also part of the insulin hypothesis (I’m talking about logical judgment, that simple carbohydrates cause a surge of insulin, which in turn should lead to a sharp drop in glucose levels in the blood (reactive hypoglycemia), and already all this to the exacerbation of hunger and overeating). It is Probably logical, but it turns out it does not correspond to reality.
You will not believe it (I did not believe it at first), but the glycemic index was not one of the factors of satiety.

But the factors of satiety, turned out to be: the energy density of food (for example, a quarter cup of raisins, roughly corresponds to two glasses of grapes, the caloric content of these volumes is the same, but the density, that is, the number of calories per 1 g of product, is different), protein content and / or fiber, as well as individual taste preferences.
I do not think that it is necessary to focus on the glycemic index of food when planning a diet on the basis of saturation. Just because with an obsession with the glycemic index, foods that, despite not low GI, in fact, not only saturate well but also carry great nutritional value (for example, the same potato), can be excluded from the diet.
This is the experiment with the GI conducted by scientists. I consider this is also reasonably true.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17284739