M.King (Semi-unsponsored) Interactive Logathon!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milford King View Post
    Haha....ok but Iím gonna have to find a brace for my arm.

Anybody following this log think 5 months post surgery for a rupture tendon is too early? I just need to know if Iím being a bitch about this or if I can push myself with no worries...
    I would suggest you ask your Dr about that one. None of us can safely tell you how to proceed there...But with this type of training you truly do need to push yourself as hard as you can and get the most out of those sets or it wont work.

Like Dorian said" That last set, its like someone has a gun to your babies head, and they are going to pull the trigger if you dont give it all you got"...truly ALL you got.
    GAINTRAIN IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER, ANYTHING I SAY OR DO IS NOT TRUE....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,289 Posts
    Rep Points

Ok....one last question, on your pump sets, what percent of your max rep are you using?

just trying to get an idea, you say 15-25 reps reaching failure. 60% of one rep max a good place to start?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,169 Posts
    Rep Points

Ok....one last question, on your pump sets, what percent of your max rep are you using?

just trying to get an idea, you say 15-25 reps reaching failure. 60% of one rep max a good place to start?
    Just trial and error. I don't log these lifts. A lot of the time it's the same exercise every week as well. These are exercises that you give you the best pump since the focus is driving blood into the muscle and getting simulation in the higher rep ranges since the rest of the week you're working on a different stimulus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Rep Points

Haha....ok but Iím gonna have to find a brace for my arm.

Anybody following this log think 5 months post surgery for a rupture tendon is too early? I just need to know if Iím being a bitch about this or if I can push myself with no worries...
    With fortitude training (If that's what you're going to be following or just high intensity training in general), everything still needs to be under control anyway. If form breaks down, you end the set.

That said, my doc released me to press fully at like 10-12 weeks post surgery. Anything with elbow extension was good for continued rehab of that arm. Flexion was different. With anything that's going to stress that tendon, you're going to have to take it slower. I think you're good to go. Montego wood probably prefer you working in the 6-12 rep range so adjust your weights and focus on using the targeted back muscles on your pulls and not your bicep so much. When form breaks down and you're using too much bicep, end the set. Likely, the next time you come back to that movement you'll be stronger, tendon included, and you can get another rep or two with good form. That's progress, even if your weights aren't where they were pre-op. They will be before you know it, once you know just how much you can push that arm. Push it but slowly and you'll get more comfortable every week. As far as direct bicep work, I just do everything very slow and controlled now. Tendon gets too stressed, I end the bicep work.

You'll develop a better mind-muscle connection as you are trying to use the target muscles and zero body english on your pull movements as well.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,169 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by zwhit View Post
    With fortitude training (If that's what you're going to be following or just high intensity training in general), everything still needs to be under control anyway. If form breaks down, you end the set.

That said, my doc released me to press fully at like 10-12 weeks post surgery. Anything with elbow extension was good for continued rehab of that arm. Flexion was different. With anything that's going to stress that tendon, you're going to have to take it slower. I think you're good to go. Montego wood probably prefer you working in the 6-12 rep range so adjust your weights and focus on using the targeted back muscles on your pulls and not your bicep so much. When form breaks down and you're using too much bicep, end the set. Likely, the next time you come back to that movement you'll be stronger, tendon included, and you can get another rep or two with good form. That's progress, even if your weights aren't where they were pre-op. They will be before you know it, once you know just how much you can push that arm. Push it but slowly and you'll get more comfortable every week. As far as direct bicep work, I just do everything very slow and controlled now. Tendon gets too stressed, I end the bicep work.

You'll develop a better mind-muscle connection as you are trying to use the target muscles and zero body english on your pull movements as well.
    Exactly this.

Just because you are focusing on strength in low rep ranges that doesn't mean you sacrifice form to get more weight or reps.

99% of the time this happens. I mean almost always!

8 perfect reps without sacrificing form and risking injury while maybe not recruiting EVERY motor unit available or, 10 haphazard reps with poor form, risking injury and recruiting more motor units, most of those not being from the intended target muscle anyways.....

Pretty easy decision if you ask me.

Will option b force more growth? Yes. Will option a provide more longevity and in turn, more growth in the long run? Yes.

It's the same old "marathon not a sprint" clichť.

I work the 6-10 ranges and suggest those since when you are working with progressive overload you need some wiggle room when you do increase weight instead of reps. Also, I find that if I tell guys 8-12 it's almost always 12 rep sets and that leads to missing out on reps and weight over time. 6-10 puts your mind in a place where you can't coast as easily knowing you need more weight on the bar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,289 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks a shit ton guys!

Seriously I appreciate the effort your making to take time out of your day and beat this into my thick skull.

I will find the patience to do this properly and by next summer you will see that you didnít waste your time giving me advice.

Once I get the physique where I want it, I might get a ASF inside a heart tattoo on my ass cheeks just to show my appreciation. And Iím being serious.

But again bros, thanks for helping a brother out here. Tired of spinning my wheels and ready to go where Iíve yet to go in the fitness world. You all are the best!

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,169 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks a shit ton guys!

Seriously I appreciate the effort your making to take time out of your day and beat this into my thick skull.

I will find the patience to do this properly and by next summer you will see that you didnít waste your time giving me advice.

Once I get the physique where I want it, I might get a ASF inside a heart tattoo on my ass cheeks just to show my appreciation. And Iím being serious.

But again bros, thanks for helping a brother out here. Tired of spinning my wheels and ready to go where Iíve yet to go in the fitness world. You all are the best!
    I charge good money for this kind of thing

Get moving! Thank you for listening and taking the feedback mostly though. Now do what most don't and do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,499 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

Get moving! Thank you for listening and taking the feedback mostly though. Now do what most don't and do it.
    Bam! Right there. Most won't execute. You're obviously one of few MK!

Also, be careful with that tendon man. If it starts hurting to much don't push it and rupture it again. Going backwards isn't much fun! Some BPC would probably help you out a lot for that particular injury if you need it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

Giving away all the secrets...😉😉lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,289 Posts
    Rep Points

I got the fortitude book, just havenít had much time to re-read it because I know Iím gonna have to read it more than once. I looked at the template he has described in the book and boom, my mind was blown and itís way over my head. I ainít afraid to admit Iím out of my league when it comes to the complicated weightlifting world, like I said, this was just a hobby I used to keep my head straight. But Iím ready to level up. Level 4 clown dwarf style.

Anyways...today is an off day for me

food so far was;
    peanut butter on top of choc rice cake and protein shake
    granola bar
    one of them frozen fit meals that had sweet potatoes, broccoli and bourbon steak with peppers on it.
    Another protein shake

stopped taking creative pills cuz itís dumb and tore my stomach up.

Day off from gym, overtime at work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    Rep Points

I got the fortitude book, just havenít had much time to re-read it because I know Iím gonna have to read it more than once. I looked at the template he has described in the book and boom, my mind was blown and itís way over my head. I ainít afraid to admit Iím out of my league when it comes to the complicated weightlifting world, like I said, this was just a hobby I used to keep my head straight. But Iím ready to level up. Level 4 clown dwarf style.

Anyways...today is an off day for me

food so far was;
    peanut butter on top of choc rice cake and protein shake
    granola bar
    one of them frozen fit meals that had sweet potatoes, broccoli and bourbon steak with peppers on it.
    Another protein shake

stopped taking creative pills cuz itís dumb and tore my stomach up.

Day off from gym, overtime at work
    Save your lunch money for awhile and hire Monte, let him do all the thinking and planning for you, then all you gotta do is follow orders....but be ready to bust your ass!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,289 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GainTrain View Post
    Save your lunch money for awhile and hire Monte, let him do all the thinking and planning for you, then all you gotta do is follow orders....but be ready to bust your ass!!
    Iíd love to bro, but I gotta pay off student loans and keep up with the truck and mortgage. But if things change in the near future I would be down for some mindless gains, fo sho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíd love to bro, but I gotta pay off student loans and keep up with the truck and mortgage. But if things change in the near future I would be down for some mindless gains, fo sho!
    I hear you Brother, priorities come first. Just stay focused and youll make gains man. Train hard, eat clean, sleep like a baby...and most importantly...STAY CONSISTENT....you got this.

Pain is Pleasure
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,394 Posts
    Rep Points

I overheard some guys talking while working today. Basically, they wanted to see some pics of you eating a banana. I'm not sure what this is about so I'm just relaying the message. These young folks today....always into weird stuff

For info regarding Gearchurch quality products, please send me a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,289 Posts
    Rep Points

Haha....itís not pretty man, I use my teeth!

you just wait bro....with the gear church and the improved training regiment Iím gonna be watching your co-workers girlfriends eating Ďbananasí ...