• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Push/Pull split vs. one muscle group per day. Which do you guys find more effective?

Tall Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How many of you guys train one body part per day. I was about to to start training again after a lay off, and my plan was the usual push movements one day, pull movements another day, and then legs on the third day, training each muscle group twice per week. I work with a guy who's been trying to talk me into training like he does, which is one muscle group per day, and hitting each body part only once per week. I've never tried that before. Do any of you guys make better gains by training one muscle group per day like that.

It's obvious to me that training one muscle group offers the advantage of subjecting each body part to greater volume from more sets, more exercises. But is once a week per muscle group enough frequency to make gains?

Strength adaptations can decline in as little time as 72hrs so you are wise to train 2x a week if you want maximum strength/size. Good luck.

Depends on my goals. Examples below.

During a cut I use light to moderate weight with rep ranges between 12 - 20. Push, pull, legs, push, pull, leg, off. Cardio everyday.

During a bulk I go heavy with rep ranges between 4 - 8. Chest, back, rest, legs, shoulders/triceps/traps, biceps/forearms/abs, rest. No cardio.

The answer is what works best for you and your current goals.

P/P/L all the way. There is no need to work one muscle each workout unless your major compound lifts are freakishly high numbers that your body and CNS is taking a consistent beating. Several studies have pointed to a muscle being able to be worked again after 48 hours of recovery.

With all that being said, I think longterm if nutrition and rest is on point you will have equal results with both programs. I find PPL more fun. Working one muscle is boring as hell.

How many of you guys train one body part per day. I was about to to start training again after a lay off, and my plan was the usual push movements one day, pull movements another day, and then legs on the third day, training each muscle group twice per week. I work with a guy who's been trying to talk me into training like he does, which is one muscle group per day, and hitting each body part only once per week. I've never tried that before. Do any of you guys make better gains by training one muscle group per day like that.

It's obvious to me that training one muscle group offers the advantage of subjecting each body part to greater volume from more sets, more exercises. But is once a week per muscle group enough frequency to make gains?
I do this except... Day 1:Chest, day2:shoulders/triceps, day3:back/biceps, day 4:legs. Then I start over again. Been doing this for around 2yrs now. Basic push/pull.
Lost down to 169 during deer season due to not lifting or eating right. Went from 169 to 192 this summer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What ive been doing currently for my bulk is a push/pull style splits in the order of
Push-Metabolite
Pull-Metabolite
Active recovery-1 set of 10-15 reps of each muscle group
Push-Tension
Pull-Tension
Off
Power
Off
Repeat

Metabolite is referring to higher reps lower weight, and Tension to lower reps higher weights. Ive been really enjoying this and i came from doing one muscle group a week for years. So far ive seen great power improvements along with solid muscle growth (with gear+supps)

What ive been doing currently for my bulk is a push/pull style splits in the order of
Push-Metabolite
Pull-Metabolite
Active recovery-1 set of 10-15 reps of each muscle group
Push-Tension
Pull-Tension
Off
Power
Off
Repeat

Metabolite is referring to higher reps lower weight, and Tension to lower reps higher weights. Ive been really enjoying this and i came from doing one muscle group a week for years. So far ive seen great power improvements along with solid muscle growth (with gear+supps)
What’s your “power” day consist of? Powerlifting compound lifts on that day? And do you split your legs up on push days and pull days?

My power day is basically working out each muscle twice shooting for 4-8 reps, but 1 of each compound muscle workouts is taken by a compound exercise, for example chest for that day is bench-press* and machine flies and legs are squats* and legs press

My leg workouts are split in the push pulls, push usually consists of squats, leg press (for hams), leg extensions and bulgarian split squats.
Pull usually is leg curls, lunges

My days look like this

Chest/bis
Back/tris
Legs/shoulders
A day of, small things, rear delts, calves, cardio, abs (like never, say ill do em, never do).

And the other day, i squat or deadlift only with OHP (at the moment im trying to improve my front delts)

I do cardio when i can at the moment. Typically 10 to 20 mins 3x/wk.

One body part is a NoGo for me. Twice a week per body part is my goal. How I arrange that fluctuates for various reasons, mostly to keep it interesting :coffee:

I train 5 and sometimes 6 days a week.
In that week what ever I start with I end with.
1st day - Chest/tri
2nd day - shoulder/bi
3rd day - back
4th day - legs
5th day - chest/tri

Following week I start with shoulder/Tri and roll from there as the pattern above.

Each week/start of work out I mix it up and never start with the same machine or workout.

P/P/L is the way to go imo

Thanks for everyone's input and replies. I work with a guy who swears by one body part per workout, but I cant see working each muscle group merely one day each week.

I train 5 and sometimes 6 days a week.
In that week what ever I start with I end with.
1st day - Chest/tri
2nd day - shoulder/bi
3rd day - back
4th day - legs
5th day - chest/tri

Following week I start with shoulder/Tri and roll from there as the pattern above.

Each week/start of work out I mix it up and never start with the same machine or workout.
I do a similar routine with mountaindog style training. Seems to be the most effective for me so far

Thanks for everyone's input and replies. I work with a guy who swears by one body part per workout, but I cant see working each muscle group merely one day each week.

One muscle group per week has worked well for me, but I train with super high volume and pretty much to failure each session. I need the recovery time in between training sessions.

I'm getting ready to change things up and hit a 5x5 routine for awhile.

I just ran John Meadows Creeping Death 2 for my blast that just ended and it was Pull/Push/Legs (heavy) then Pull/Push/Legs (pump) then rest. I REALLY liked it and saw great results. I had been on body part lifts for a long time. This felt great. It also had longer rest periods which I was not used to. I always kept my rest short, but it allowed my to lift heavier and grow more.

Switched to FST7 for my cruise of 8 weeks (which is sort of a mix of the two), but will likely go back to P/P/L for my next blast.

One muscle group per week has worked well for me, but I train with super high volume and pretty much to failure each session. I need the recovery time in between training sessions.

I'm getting ready to change things up and hit a 5x5 routine for awhile.
That's some very good input. Thank you.

I just ran John Meadows Creeping Death 2 for my blast that just ended and it was Pull/Push/Legs (heavy) then Pull/Push/Legs (pump) then rest. I REALLY liked it and saw great results. I had been on body part lifts for a long time. This felt great. It also had longer rest periods which I was not used to. I always kept my rest short, but it allowed my to lift heavier and grow more.

Switched to FST7 for my cruise of 8 weeks (which is sort of a mix of the two), but will likely go back to P/P/L for my next blast.
Hmmm, I've never heard of that before. I'm gonna look that up.

Good luck trying to actually stretch fascia.

I was actually referring to that "creeping death" thing that you mentioned.
It's a training program by John Meadows, aka mountaindog1 on YouTube and some other places. I believe his programs are on sale right now last I saw on IG

I like 5x5 mon wed fri - big weight, big eating.
Calves-abs or smaller muscles between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made significant gains from focused training, but in order to break plateaus I have had to do a lot of compound movements throughout the week. Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe have helped me to increase my lifts all around. Nothing beats dead lifts, and squats in the compound movement department.
I will lift 65% of max weight for high reps for a couple weeks and then lift heavy a couple weeks. I'm a 43 y.o. 2x cancer survivor and it really helps to build the stabilizer muscles before loading. Honestly, whatever you decide is right for you; the #1 key to success and progression is going to be your form. Take it slow and stay healthy.

Example:

Mon- Chest/Tris a good 50-50 mix of push and squeeze type movements. Bench, cables, dumbbells.

Tue- Legs -I like to pyramid Back Squats usually to about 85% capacity; I work up to my max and then all the way back down to my start weight. Front Squats are light w/focused form. Inclined press /Heavy as possible without pooping. Leg curls to failure

Wed- Back/bi's I like to start with cable rows and then do dead lifts using hex bar because...I'm old. Rows using cables, dumbbells, barbells.

Thurs- Shoulders all pressing. upright seated, overhead military seated and standing, cable flys, rear delt fly's machine and cables.

Friday- focus on arms.

strict form on all and the compound movements are targeting whole body 2 or three times a week. I always mix in abs throughout the week and I shoot for 2/3 times a week.

Cheers!

I change my split whenever I start to get bored or am not seeing much progress (which usually seems to be every 3 months or so) usually do larger muscles by themselves and smaller muscles I pair up. Sometimes I'll pair a smaller muscle group with a larger one. Hitting most muscles more than once every 6 the day or so I find usually results in me getting some nagging aches and pains...but I might just be getting old.

Everything works brother.You know with the 1 muscle group per day setup guys choose alot of excercises that carry over to other muscles secondary.
For instance on arms day you may have close grip bench press or weighted dips.right there chest and delts are being hit a second time.On back day one might add deadlifts and again you have legs being hit a second time.Ofcourse arms get extra work as well on that split.I really dont have set days as my recovery dictates when its time to go again.So i have never been the one who could say monday is chest day etc.

Max Ot was a popular system that worked for thousands of people who compete and it is still used.:coffee:

Back