• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Anyone have surgery done for a deviated septum????

Tall Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I didn't know where else to place this thread, so here it is..... My sleep has been terrible for years, and it's really hindered my gains and made my workouts less than great due to lack of energy. There are two reasons for my lack of sleep: #1. A bad case of sleep apnea, but I'm getting a CPAP machine in two weeks. #2. I can only breath out of one nostril due to a deviated septum in ny right hand nasal passage.

Has anyone here ever had surgery done to correct a deviated septum recently?(as in the last five years). Please share your experience. I'd like to know if you would recommend the surgery to others, and what are the pluses and minuses as a result of your surgery. And please mention what type of doctor performed your surgery. My ear nose and throat doc has offered to perform this surgery. I'm tired of having to breath through my mouth while I sleep.

I guy I work with had the surgery done a few years back, said he’s had nothing but trouble since. Sinus infections, constant congestion, sensitivity to allergens. I don’t know if his surgery got a lil messy or what but he complains about it a lot.

I guy I work with had the surgery done a few years back, said he’s had nothing but trouble since. Sinus infections, constant congestion, sensitivity to allergens. I don’t know if his surgery got a lil messy or what but he complains about it a lot.
Hmmm. I'll bounce that off the surgeon, and see how he reacts to that. Thanks

I didn't know where else to place this thread, so here it is..... My sleep has been terrible for years, and it's really hindered my gains and made my workouts less than great due to lack of energy. There are two reasons for my lack of sleep: #1. A bad case of sleep apnea, but I'm getting a CPAP machine in two weeks. #2. I can only breath out of one nostril due to a deviated septum in ny right hand nasal passage.

Has anyone here ever had surgery done to correct a deviated septum recently?(as in the last five years). Please share your experience. I'd like to know if you would recommend the surgery to others, and what are the pluses and minuses as a result of your surgery. And please mention what type of doctor performed your surgery. My ear nose and throat doc has offered to perform this surgery. I'm tired of having to breath through my mouth while I sleep.

I think there's a risk with any type of surgery. My mom avoided this surgery for years and regrets it now as her condition is a lot worse. Constant congestion and sinus infections. From
what i know it's a simple procedure and you're in and out same day.

I also have a friend that had that surgery and regrets it, says he is worse then before surgery. We call him tissue, because everywhere we go he has to bring some.

Brother in law had it done and wishes he had it done sooner. It's probably like many surgeries and I would think results vary.

I had an ENT tell me I have a slightly deviated septum and said he could fix it but I declined.

This was many years before sleep apnea popped up.

One thing I cannot do is use a nasal mask for air intake with my CPAP as I cannot pull enough air through nostrils only and not sure if deviated septum is the cause but I write it off as I am a mouth breather.

Thanks guys for all your replies. My septum deviation bothers me more in the winter time, because the slightest bit of nasal congestion completely prevents me from breathing at all through my nose. So I pretty much have to breath through my mouth all winter long. Particularly when I lay down. Add to that how some gear cycle accessary compounds like Caber causing slight nasal congestion, and I'm miserable all winter long. I'm leaning toward making a decision to get the surgery done, but I'm going to wait since I just got my CPAP machine the other day, and tonight will be the first time I try it out. So I'll have to see how that works out first, as far as it hopefully keeping me breathing through the whole night while I sleep. The sleep study I under went showed that I stop breathing about 70 times per hour during my sleep time. So I have a pretty severe case of sleep apnea, which is really a separate issue.

The only negative thing that the surgeon brought up about surgery for septum deviations, is that if the surgery isn't done right, it can leave you with a whistle in your nose like some cocaine addicts develop from their habbit. He only brought that up because I asked him about it since another surgeon mentioned that this had happened to some of his patients, and he then had to go back and perform a second surgery to correct it. When I told my EN&T doc about that, he said that none of his patients that he has operated on has ever had that as a result of his surgeries, and he also said that when someone has developed a whistle sound during breathing through their nose, (such as in the case of heavy cocaine users) he has found that it's impossible to correct that condition. So the potential for ending up with a nose whistle, although being rare, kinda makes me hesitate.

BTW, my EN & T doc also said that if I decide on the surgery for the septum deviation, he would also remove my [FONT=&quot]uvula, (that thing that looks like a punching bag which hangs in the top of your throat) because he said that the uvula often slams up against the back of the throat during sleep, and causes snoring and/or a general blocking of the airway.[/FONT]

I suffered with a deviated septum and bad congestion my whole life. I had the surgery to straighten the old beak and I have been very pleased with the results. I can breathe better and it has lessened my congestion substantially. While he was in there he cartarized pockets that form from the deviation and as a result my nostrils hold a lot less snot so I can now actually blow my nose and clear it out, before it was endless.

A couple years later I had the ugula removed along with my tonsils to try to help remedy the sleep apnea. My airway was quite small so removal has helped my breathing but sadly didnt cure the sleep apnea. I succumbed to the cpap and can't sleep without it now. Good luck with your decision.

I suffered with a deviated septum and bad congestion my whole life. I had the surgery to straighten the old beak and I have been very pleased with the results. I can breathe better and it has lessened my congestion substantially. While he was in there he cartarized pockets that form from the deviation and as a result my nostrils hold a lot less snot so I can now actually blow my nose and clear it out, before it was endless.

A couple years later I had the ugula removed along with my tonsils to try to help remedy the sleep apnea. My airway was quite small so removal has helped my breathing but sadly didnt cure the sleep apnea. I succumbed to the cpap and can't sleep without it now. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks to everyone here for your input. I just got the CPAP machine, and I just cannot get to sleep with that mask on my face. I'm very disappointed. So I'm even leaning to the surgery even more now. I'm not really expecting it to take the place of a CPAP, but I'm just hoping something helps at least a little bit.

IML Gear Cream!
Don’t give up on the cpap...you will get used to it eventually...look into other alternative designs that may be more comfortable. I’m going to invest in one very soon.

Thanks to everyone here for your input. I just got the CPAP machine, and I just cannot get to sleep with that mask on my face. I'm very disappointed. So I'm even leaning to the surgery even more now. I'm not really expecting it to take the place of a CPAP, but I'm just hoping something helps at least a little bit.
It takes time.

I will not go anywhere without my CPAP as I sleep so well with it.

But, in the beginning I would only wear for a half hour then take it off, or take it off in the middle of the night.

What type of mask are you using? Does it fit right? Do you think you might do better with a different style?

If that does not work see if you can get a sedative for the first few weeks so it is easier to fall asleep with the mask on your face.

Don't give up, it takes time.

It takes time.

I will not go anywhere without my CPAP as I sleep so well with it.

But, in the beginning I would only wear for a half hour then take it off, or take it off in the middle of the night.

What type of mask are you using? Does it fit right? Do you think you might do better with a different style?

If that does not work see if you can get a sedative for the first few weeks so it is easier to fall asleep with the mask on your face.

Don't give up, it takes time.
It's an F&P Simplus full face mask. I layed there for an hour with that thing on, and I couldn't get to sleep until I took it off. I guess I should try again. I might have to start drinking again just to get to sleep with that thing LOL. I dunno

I gave up on the cpap when first diagnosed because of the inability to sleep one night with that awful full face mask. I actually gave my machine away since I wasn't using it. 10 years later my wife forced me gently to get another sleep study and I got a new cpap but this time I went with a nose pillow mask. I got used to it within a couple weeks. Of course you can still end up breathing thru your mouth with this style but it's working well and my stop breathing times per hour have dropped from 27 to 3 times or so. Worth the trade off. Don't give up try another style of mask you won't regret it. I feel fully rested after 5 to 6 hours with the cpap

I gave up on the cpap when first diagnosed because of the inability to sleep one night with that awful full face mask. I actually gave my machine away since I wasn't using it. 10 years later my wife forced me gently to get another sleep study and I got a new cpap but this time I went with a nose pillow mask. I got used to it within a couple weeks. Of course you can still end up breathing thru your mouth with this style but it's working well and my stop breathing times per hour have dropped from 27 to 3 times or so. Worth the trade off. Don't give up try another style of mask you won't regret it. I feel fully rested after 5 to 6 hours with the cpap
That sounds like food for thought. Thank you

Back