• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Carb intake timing

gymprincess1989

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hi.

I have always heard it is most important to assure you sre taking most of your carbs post work out?

I am wondering if i should still do this if i work out pretty late. I usually don't eat until around 9pm or later?

Or would I be better to eat most of my carbs earlier and just a small amount post workout?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You have to consider the main purpose of post workout carbs. They are mainly intended to replenish glycogen stores that are burnt during the workout. That being said, not all carbs are created equally. Post workout carbs should be high glycemic carbs( fast digesting) in order to replenish glycogen stores quickly. Two high glycemic sources of carbs that can be used are, believe it or not, gummy bears and pixie sticks. So post workout, especially if you are going to bed shortly after, you should target dextrose as your main source of carb intake and stay away from fructose and sucrose.
Gummy bears , Haribo brand, are primarily dextrose and corn syrup. Corn syrup is primarily glucose, this is not to be confused with, High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Pixie sticks are sweetened with 100% dextrose.
Both are fast digesting and quickly absorbed so there is not a concern with them causing fat gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you're cutting right now, so I would take in the majority of carbs during the day and only have carbs in your post workout shake, white rice preferably. After that stick to protein and fats.

We switched mine to oats because of my hypoglycemia problem, otherwise I'd still be doing white rice. I also train later, I typically get home from the gym around 9:00, have my shake, then 30 minutes later I have my next meal. Then I have my last right before bed around midnight

You have to consider the main purpose of post workout carbs. They are mainly intended to replenish glycogen stores that are burnt during the workout. That being said, not all carbs are created equally. Post workout carbs should be high glycemic carbs( fast digesting) in order to replenish glycogen stores quickly. Two high glycemic sources of carbs that can be used are, believe it or not, gummy bears and pixie sticks. So post workout, especially if you are going to bed shortly after, you should target dextrose as your main source of carb intake and stay away from fructose and sucrose.
Gummy bears , Haribo brand, are primarily dextrose and corn syrup. Corn syrup is primarily glucose, this is not to be confused with, High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Pixie sticks are sweetened with 100% dextrose.
Both are fast digesting and quickly absorbed so there is not a concern with them causing fat gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive read several times about eating a handful of gummy bears pwo. Didnt understand it at the time, thanks for explaining it.

Depends on your goals
Exactly.
The main reason to eat post workout isn't because you have depleted glycogen (unless you are doing endurance work) but to halt the catabolic effect of exercise.
There is no reason to limit carbs the rest of the day unless you are insulin resistant or trying to shed water.

I tried the pixie stick thing when cutting and it definitely slowed my progress on cut. I forget what the recommended amount was. It was something like one giant pixie or 10 small ones.

Exactly.
The main reason to eat post workout isn't because you have depleted glycogen (unless you are doing endurance work) but to halt the catabolic effect of exercise.
There is no reason to limit carbs the rest of the day unless you are insulin resistant or trying to shed water.
Thanks a bunch.

From all the info it seems i would be better off doing what i had planned. Most of my carbs in the day and just a few post workout. If i am reading everything right

Thanks a bunch.

From all the info it seems i would be better off doing what i had planned. Most of my carbs in the day and just a few post workout. If i am reading everything right

Yeah pretty much. Most are front loaded, then your intra and a little with the first post workout meal/shake. That's always what worked best for me, and still is

IML Gear Cream!
I learn something new everyday, so I get up about 4:30 have breakfast and head to the gym before work. I just pop a hand full of Haribo brand bears after I leave the gym to replenish the glycogen. I usually have a Shake I concocted from 2 packs of Oat, scoop of protein powder, peanut butter, banana, in 2% milk.

Thanks a bunch.

Somethings to conciser here that may assist you..Like everyone else stated about the reasons why to attempt to time them and so on is huge but lets look at some other things!

First, what time to do normally work out? If you can, try and schedule it towards the PM hrs, I'll explain why in a bit..

secondly, try carb back-loading..This is an effective way for "some" to help with carb cravings if you have any, especially when trying to lean down..

Essentially reducing carbs is our attempt to induce a state of themogenesis and have our body use fat as a fuel, but it can be catabolic as well, depending on your goal will ultimately boil down to what best suits your needs..

Bear in mine and even carb back-loading in the PM our bodies will still burn during the following day in the AM and mid PM hrs, but people tend to think just in reveres with this process.. This can help assist with the craving and hunger brought on the next day.. We can slice and dice all sorts of carb cutting/loading phases along with timing but at the end of the day most are honestly equivocal in many senses with some trade-offs here and there (individual based).. - in terms of leaning down

If carbs are an issue and if you possibly have sensitivity issues, carb back-loading just may be for you, plus it can assist with keeping you from flattening out..

Carbs and BGL/BS can be a very isolated topic, because what works for one person may not work for the next.. Genetics, family history, metabolism, ultru-metabolisation, insulin sensitivity, training and much much more can all play a huge factor..

My closing statement will be:
When it concerns carbs, it ultimately comes down to NOT quantity but rather quality..Know your carbs and make the right choices and now how and when to time them best..Oats, brown rice, yams and sweet potato's and lets not forget about beans, beans are very underrated...If you're restricting most carbs, keep in mind that it's still pivatol for post for reasons that others stated..

If you work out in the later PM hrs the back loading phase will still give you that added fuel for the muscle bellies..back loading can help you gauge and structure your diet throughout the day focusing on other macros..
Rice/beans with some chicken later in the evening is a killer combo, also for digestive properties come the AM..

Try back-loading carbs, and keep post carbs in the mix, see how you make out!

For carbs I have done it many ways on a cut but best is 60% during the day with most carbs 2 hours before workout and post workout is 40%.

My carbs are flavored quick oats with meal 1, Jasmine rice in meals 3 and 5, then red potato after training in meal 6.

If that helps any :)

For carbs I have done it many ways on a cut but best is 60% during the day with most carbs 2 hours before workout and post workout is 40%.

My carbs are flavored quick oats with meal 1, Jasmine rice in meals 3 and 5, then red potato after training in meal 6.

I'm literally on meal to right now pounding some Jasmine, and some God fucking awful chicken.. I'd post a picture if I could.

Doesn't matter if it's late or not when you take in your carbs if they're after training. Intended response will be the same if the rest of your plan is set up to support it.

Somethings to conciser here that may assist you..Like everyone else stated about the reasons why to attempt to time them and so on is huge but lets look at some other things!

First, what time to do normally work out? If you can, try and schedule it towards the PM hrs, I'll explain why in a bit..

secondly, try carb back-loading..This is an effective way for "some" to help with carb cravings if you have any, especially when trying to lean down..

Essentially reducing carbs is our attempt to induce a state of themogenesis and have our body use fat as a fuel, but it can be catabolic as well, depending on your goal will ultimately boil down to what best suits your needs..

Bear in mine and even carb back-loading in the PM our bodies will still burn during the following day in the AM and mid PM hrs, but people tend to think just in reveres with this process.. This can help assist with the craving and hunger brought on the next day.. We can slice and dice all sorts of carb cutting/loading phases along with timing but at the end of the day most are honestly equivocal in many senses with some trade-offs here and there (individual based).. - in terms of leaning down

If carbs are an issue and if you possibly have sensitivity issues, carb back-loading just may be for you, plus it can assist with keeping you from flattening out..

Carbs and BGL/BS can be a very isolated topic, because what works for one person may not work for the next.. Genetics, family history, metabolism, ultru-metabolisation, insulin sensitivity, training and much much more can all play a huge factor..

My closing statement will be:
When it concerns carbs, it ultimately comes down to NOT quantity but rather quality..Know your carbs and make the right choices and now how and when to time them best..Oats, brown rice, yams and sweet potato's and lets not forget about beans, beans are very underrated...If you're restricting most carbs, keep in mind that it's still pivatol for post for reasons that others stated..

If you work out in the later PM hrs the back loading phase will still give you that added fuel for the muscle bellies..back loading can help you gauge and structure your diet throughout the day focusing on other macros..
Rice/beans with some chicken later in the evening is a killer combo, also for digestive properties come the AM..

Try back-loading carbs, and keep post carbs in the mix, see how you make out!
Hey vision thanks a bunch.

For my body I have actually found,
1.carb cycling isnt for me
2. My body does better on higher carb lower fat
3. Watching your micros helps a ton with both carbs and fat intake to keep one in check to choose good carbs and good fats.
4. Choosing healthy carbs and just completely skipping fitting in the bad ones helps to reduce carb cravings.

But I 100% agree everyone is so different and different things work for different people. We just have to continue to learn ourselves.

Hey mr skip!!!! Funny you say this. I find that works well. Some carbs in breakfast then a heavier carb lunch and snack and then finish off my carbs after my workout.

I spread my carbs out almost evenly thru the entire day. Almost every meal of mine is 50-60g, post workout is slightly higher at 75g

Mrs is 30g first 4 meals, trace carbs last 2

Back