Classic Physique Vs Open Bodybuilding

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Which division do you guys think is more appealing to the eye? Which type of look would you want to pursue for your own body? Which one do you think is harder or requires more effort in your opinion?

Favorite current (not retired) competitor from each of the two categories? Mine would be Chris Bumstead in classic (I also like Arash Rahbar a lot too), and Steve Kuclo in open (although I like Luke Sandoe and Josh Lenartowics a lot too)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Rep Points

As much as I hate to say it, I think the physique divisions are more appealing, as for me Iíve always been a fan of open bodybuilding and always will be, thats the look I would love to attain

Steve and Luke are two of my favorites too, I really like Bonac and Deasha too, I never understood why Steve didnít place better, heís got the physique and the face and the best calves in the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Rep Points

I think the classic is appealing to more and more people because they can relate to it. Its a more attainable physique, I personally believe most people realize that they can't/won't ever be able to achieve a top level open bodybuilder's body.
    I prefer the open bodybuilder's look as well. To me it's the pinnacle of the art of shaping/molding one's body. I think it requires more consistency over a longer period of time for the body to develop.
    As far as my current favorites: Classic would be Danny Hester, and Open would be William Bonac.

puritysourcelabs.ru

Pick Up Something Heavy

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by love2lift_luke View Post
    Which division do you guys think is more appealing to the eye?
    Classic.

Which type of look would you want to pursue for your own body?
    Classic, like Mentzer.

Which one do you think is harder or requires more effort in your opinion?
    Both are hard. Main difference is insulin and food. Today's open takes a much bigger toll on one's body, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Rep Points

i like classic physique over open. open has become just way too bloated and way too dangerous on the competitors health. honestly their should not even be a classic, classic should just be open. classic physique is what the ideal bodybuilder looked like and the olympia winning body type for over 30 years almost up until the mass monsters started showing up in the late 90s to early 2000s and became the standard. conditioning has been put on the back burner and just bulking up and putting on as much muscle mass as humanly possible on a mans body is what has become most important. but please do not get me wrong i still like todays open bodybuilders. i know they work really hard but classic physique is just the more balanced and aesthetic body type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Rep Points

i forgot to add my 2 favorites from the 2 categories would be classic chris bumstead and open does flex lewis count?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,611 Posts
    Rep Points

I think classic is a more appealing look for most guys but, I don't think that's why more competitors are actually choosing that route. I also don't believe they are going that route because of health concerns since I still see just as much drug use in a majority of the guys who do classic.

I think it's a mix between lack of patience and not wanting to put in the food, time and effort to gain 40-60lbs of lean tissue for most.

Some of the genetic wonders are great fits though, small waists, perfect muscle attachment and good joints.
    Read the Rules Please
    Monster Labs Rep
    Montego10 for 10% off at
    http://Www.Mymonsterlabs.Com

Use code Montego15 for 15% off at
    http://Straightupkratom.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Rep Points

Classic Physique. There is nothing appealing about the modern bodybuilding aesthetics, unless one of your fetishes is the pregnant look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by kudegras View Post
    i forgot to add my 2 favorites from the 2 categories would be classic chris bumstead and open does flex lewis count?
    He doesnít compete in shorts so yes he counts, heís one of my favorites too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Rep Points

Classic all the way.

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    362 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFarva View Post
    Classic Physique. There is nothing appealing about the modern bodybuilding aesthetics, unless one of your fetishes is the pregnant look.
    So true...not sure how the days of Arnold evolved into big hgh guts. Got out of hand and the pendulum needs to swing back in the other direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    147 Posts
    Rep Points

Yep...classic all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rep Points

I never thought I'd say this but I prefer Classic. The bloated stomach thing is a little out of hand. Don't get me wrong, guys like Flex Lewis still keeping that small waist to wide shoulder "V" and still looking huge are awesome. I like Bumstead for classic. He's got a small waist and he's pretty thick and shredded. No need for swim trunk posing on that guy. He has serious quads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Rep Points

I think we are missing the main point about bodybuilding: Building is the operative word. Body builders build mass strength and conditioning. Body builders should be big/powerful. 270 lb guy I placed to benches 600 lbs and reps out with 400 plus pounds on bent over rows and lat pull downs. He looks massive and strong because he IS massive.

My legs, glutes, midsection look strong because....get ready for it....they are strong. I have deadlifted 600 lbs and squatted 405 for 12 reps. I got 27 reps ass below parallel w/ 275. Bodybuilders must be powerful. That is why the big guys rule and should rule.

I think that men have become increasingly feminized through each generation. The very idea of the board wearing abomination we call physique proves that you younger guys are Nancy boys and faggots.

Any one wearing board shorts belongs in the bikini division.

So, at the top is bodybuilding, always will be. If you disagree get your estradiol checked.

Having said that, at the last show I attended, the Classic Physique guys did look phenomenal. Very balanced and extremely well conditioned. Conditioning impresses me....yes, you need lots of drugs but I can tell how you train by how you look. Also it reflects discipline and ability to control your diet. Keep in mind he open division winners were all top 5-10 level guys, so these classic physique guys may have also been up there.

But yeah, the classic physique guys impressed me. You are still fags, but fags I respect.

The pros today....the top guys are all puffy and soft looking. Huge...insanely big but with some exceptions these guys are never in very good condition. That is why we old guys keep comparing todays pros to our generation, the 90's. Dorian ruled, but in CA where I lived there were a bunch of famous pros. People were in better condition back then because they trained harder. Gym culture was very, very different. If you sat on equipment tapping away you would be quickly adjusted. Most everyone trained HARD. The body looks different when you rely on hard training instead of insulin.
    Last edited by Procard; 08-23-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Procard View Post
    I think we are missing the main point about bodybuilding: Building is the operative word. Body builders build mass strength and conditioning. Body builders should be big/powerful. 270 lb guy I placed to benches 600 lbs and reps out with 400 plus pounds on bent over rows and lat pull downs. He looks massive and strong because he IS massive.

My legs, glutes, midsection look strong because....get ready for it....they are strong. I have deadlifted 600 lbs and squatted 405 for 12 reps. I got 27 reps ass below parallel w/ 275. Bodybuilders must be powerful. That is why the big guys rule and should rule.

I think that men have become increasingly feminized through each generation. The very idea of the board wearing abomination we call physique proves that you younger guys are Nancy boys and faggots.

Any one wearing board shorts belongs in the bikini division.

So, at the top is bodybuilding, always will be. If you disagree get your estradiol checked.

Having said that, at the last show I attended, the Classic Physique guys did look phenomenal. Very balanced and extremely well conditioned. Conditioning impresses me....yes, you need lots of drugs but I can tell how you train by how you look. Also it reflects discipline and ability to control your diet. Keep in mind he open division winners were all top 5-10 level guys, so these classic physique guys may have also been up there.

But yeah, the classic physique guys impressed me. You are still fags, but fags I respect.

The pros today....the top guys are all puffy and soft looking. Huge...insanely big but with some exceptions these guys are never in very good condition. That is why we old guys keep comparing todays pros to our generation, the 90's. Dorian ruled, but in CA where I lived there were a bunch of famous pros. People were in better condition back then because they trained harder. Gym culture was very, very different. If you sat on equipment tapping away you would be quickly adjusted. Most everyone trained HARD. The body looks different when you rely on hard training instead of insulin.
    It looks like you're making a confusion here.

We're talking about this: